SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
The Jedi Will Rise Again
13,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As posted in the "Projects and Constructions" sev\ction of the Euroforum in ----> http://skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=206647

Introduction: The setting

After a long period of anticipation, one of the biggest buildings in the Balkans and the biggest of its time back in the 1930's and 40's has re-opened for business bringing with it an aura of "belle epoque" into what seems to be a frantic re-generation of central Athens which began before last year's Olympic Games and still continues non-stop resulting into a much needed upgrading of what might be called "public space" be it for work, leisure, shopping or entertainment.

One of the major handicaps that made Athens look rather uninviting in the pre-2004 era was the fact that there was not a full-sized department store to constitute an glamorous icon to attract serious spenders. However, all this is past since 2001, where a new generation of sizeable, luxurious and classy department stores like the Hondos Center in Omonia Square (10 stories with a rooftop restaurant / café with the best view of the city-yes-I'm a regular) and Patission streets, the F-Focas stores in Ermou and Stadiou streets, the Notos Galleries in Stadiou street and the Municipality Square (this one has the best interior design in my view and offers EXCELLENT VIEWS through the large glass windows of its staircases).

However, still something was missing. These stores are big but they still do not convey the iconic value that –say- other department stores like the Harrods or the Selfridges in London, or the Printemps and the Galleries Lafayette have for Paris.

In addition, the small area occupied at present by most of the Athenian buildings did not allow for many unified areas that would allow a number of integrated functions to co-exist, although, since the 1950's many new buildings were constructed with interior arcades allowing them to have what might be called "internal traffic". Furthermore, since the 1980's many buildings were built with atriums and I very much like it to see all those cafés with their inviting plazas waiting for their customers in many unbelievable places in the backyards of the densely built 10-storey blocks constituting most of the new constructions in the center of Athens.

Still, the main event was that until recently, the city lacked a central point of reference so strong to epitomize its urban identity (besides the Acropolis but that's too old, I guess).

2. Early history of the building ("Army Shareholders' Fund Building" -Mέγαρο Μετοχικού Ταμείου Στρατού-ΜΤΣ ), 1928-1940

The particular building was built following a competition that took place in 1924, which was calling for construction on an estate of some 9,000 sq. metres in total to accommodate state and public services at the site of the then royal stables. The total area to be built was –and is even by today's measures- large, and for this reasons, only serious players have been able to participate. Finally, the Army Shareholders Fund (Μετοχικό Ταμείο Στρατού-guys, if you know the name in English please correct me), the insurance and financial department of the Hellenic army was the winner and constuction began in 1928, following the designs of the architects Vassilios Kassandras and Leonidas Bonis.

Below: Scene from the construction phase, some time in the mid-1930's

(C) "TA NEA" Newspaper

Upon completion in 1940, some 12 years later, a unified complex of 9 building blocks, which, albeit not separated functionally, they were distinct both in terms of completion times as well as architectural styles. Indeed, the southern side of the buildingof the building clearly reflects the art-deco style and is representative of the mid-30's "belle époque" while the northern side presents characteristics of 1940's early modernism. The total floors area was (and still is) some 65,000 square meters in total, distributed in 8 overground floors (including what we call in Greece the "ground" floor) and two basements (or three?) making it the biggest in the Balkans at the time of construction (the Athens International Airport main terminal is the biggest independent built unit in Greece now with a total area of 150,000 square meters BTW).

Unfortunately, upon completion, the building did not see the glory days it deservedsince the 2nd World War has reached Greece and after several months of hopeless yet heroic struggle, the Axis forces occupied the country and –guess what- the building was the perfect candidate for becoming one of the Nazi HQ in Athens.

Next picture: The building during the Nazi occupation with the svastika flag clealy visible on its flag pole

(C) "TA NEA" Newspaper

After the war, the building became a core element of the Athenian life since, among others, it included the utterly luxurious "Palace" movie theater (2000 seats) and the 'Maxim" Cabaret which later was transformed into the "Aliki" (500 seats) theater, named after the great Actress Aliki Vouyouklaki who owned it and performed there from seceral years. Also, in the northern side, the famous Café-Restaurant "Zonar's" became a meeting point for the high society of the city and until the time that the building closed for restoration, there was no VIP person in Athens who hasn't stopped for a snack or coffee in it.

Over the years, the building started losing its polished finish and although one could still pass his time browsing at the windows of the biggest Athenian Jewellers on the east side of the building or still stop by Zonar's, on the other hand, it was becoming increasingly clear that the building was in need of a facelift; True, there were clear signs of underutilization of its resources even since the beginning of the 1990's

3. The Revival of a myth in central Athens- a huge undertaking

The project of the revival of this gigantic complex was finally undertaken by a mega venture joint investment grpup including the Piraeus Bank Real Estate (member of the Piraeus Bank Group), and the most prominent department store owners in Athens already. For the re-generation, one of the most prominent Greek architects, Stelios Aghistratitis, who already possesses one of the best portfolios of completed commercial development projects, was appointed. The decision of Aghiostratitis and the developers was to maintain the original exterior design and thus to limit the overall intervention and space layout re-arrangements for the inner spaces of the building. So, externally, the building will maintain (thank God!!!) its original architecture, although what goes on in the inside is a totally different story…

Anyway, the idea was that the building would be re-developed into a Commercial Centre combining office, retail and leisure/entertainment activities. At various stages of the planning process, a number of prominent names of International caliber were rumored to have approached the developers in order to participate in the scheme, including the original "Galleries Lafayette" from Paris (and what a collaboration would this have been!!!). However, the complex nature of the venture, and most of all, disagreements with regards to the details of the contractual terms, prevented the G.L. to invest in admittedly one of the hottest projects in South-Eastern Europe to date.

In any case, the works began in the beginning of the millennium and are expected to be gradually completed until the fall of 2005. Below is a black and white view of the northern side (Panepistimiou street) of the building

© Copyright "O Kosmos tou Ependiti" (Investor's World) newspaper

Also, here's a small pic (unknown copyrights) from a neighbouring building, just to show the size and shape of it.

The final usable space allotment of City Link Commercial Center will be as follows:

-First, a new department store occupying some 25,000 sq meters at 8 levels, the "Attica Department Store (click link for more) has already opened with a bang since early April, signifying the beginning of the inauguration ceremonies which will gradually make the news in the months to come in this part of town. The store, which will be the major "anchor tenant" in the estate, occupies all the northern side of the project and aims at providing Athens with an iconic department store which will bear the same gravity as the Galleries Lafayette in Paris, the Harrods in London or the Karstadt in Berlin. It contains 300 "shop in a shop" units where 800 brand names are available, including men and women's fashion, cosmetics sportsware and footware, some of them sold in Greece for the first time.

I have been twice already there and although the cafeteria on the top floor is not yet ready, I must say that I was impressed by the overall image of the store already. Lives up to the expectations although to proceed to the cashiers you need to really be loaded in cash or credit allowance since this big fat lady is no Chinese €5-a-piece street corner shop. However, those Hugo Boss and Armani suits were worth considering… for later :D.

-The regeneration of the theatres, where "Palace"'s seating capacity will be reduced by 500, resulting in 1,500 seats of ultra luxury and comfort, allowing also for the latest in sound and vision technology to be installed there. Also, the "Aliki" theatre will re-open with a small museum dedicated to the great actress that gave her name and reputation to it.

-Also, considerable space will be devoted to cafes, restaurants and gymnasiums, including also a spa facility. The famous Zonar's will be ready sometime towards the end of the summer although chances are the name may change for legal reasons.

-There are also going to be various combinations of shopping arcades and public spaces, especially with regards to the impressive central atrium of the building, which is totally reconstructed with the addition of a new glass roof. The ground floor spaces of the atrium will be given to famous luxury shops and restaurants giving it a Western European touch (Err, a touch of Milan in Central Athens to be precise).

- Finally, Piraeus Bank Real Estate will occupy significant space with their offices, thus filling office space previously occupied by the General Bank (the Hellenic Army Bank that now has been acquired by the French Société Générale and has relocated to the untra-modern " Politeia Business Centre[/img]" since 2000)

So in essence, we are talking about a new multi-functional commercial center occupying a full block in the heart of the city, served by many metro stations (I can name "Syntagma" and "Panepistimio") and also close to many luxury hotels (the Hyatt Grand Bretagne, the King George II and the Athens Meridien are just around the corner)

4. Pictures of the exterior

Of course, I couldn't have finished this post without posting some of MY pictures (allowing also views of central Athens). Here they are:

-View from Panepistimiou (northern side), looking east, with the signs of the "Attica-The Department Store" clearly visible in the front of the building, just 2 days after the store's opening. Watch the austere modernist characteristics of this side of the building which –as mentioned earlier- was completed in early 1940.

-View of the same side looking to the west

-View of the west side of the building from the crossroads of panepistimiou-Amerikis streets. And yes, there is a motorcycle doing stunts in the middle of the road…

-…as it can be seen in the following pictures. I know that we Greeks are loonies but I wouldn't expect to record our lunacy in the middle of a central street in Athens at 14:00 hours in the afternoon. Jeez…

-View of the southern side from Stadiou street, next to the old parliament. Watch the size and the art deco details of this earlier (late 1930's) built side of the building.

-View of the building from the same perspective also depicting another, much smaller neo-classical building which is under construction.

-View of the southeast corner of the building as seen from the Syntagma square. Still, the art-deco elements of this early built side of the buildins are visible.

I certainly don't know whether the wish of the renovators to recreate this aura of "belle époque" in the center of the city will flourish aesthetically as it will commercially, although the building's reconstruction has received positive comments of dithyrambic proportions. For sure, an old jewel is shining again in the center of Athens and it certainly has people's love with it. At least, this is proven by the 100,000 visitors of the "Attica" Department store in the first 7 days of its operation alone… . Been there and I liked the views and aesthetics. However, let's wait until the full package is ready in order to issue a final conclusion. Up to now though, looks like the result justifies the expectations of the public (and the incestors probably :D).

Also, next year another 40,000 sq metres or so will be added with another legendary department store, the famous "Minion" which is also undergoing extensive reconstruction. Not to forget another 60,000sq metres of retail and entertainment space in Maroussi to de delivered next fall too…

It's about time for a shopping spree in Athens, I think…

·
Registered
985 Posts
Αγαπητέ gm συγχαρητήρια για τις ωραίες φωτογραφίες και την αναλυτική παρουσίαση της ιστορίας και της κατασκευής του κτιρίου αυτού που όπως και εσύ είπες είναι ένα από τα πο αξιόλογα στο κέντρο της αθήνας.
Όμως διαβάζοντας και τις τελευταίες σειρές της δημοσίευσής σου (που αναφέρονται στις κατασκευές 2 ακόμα μεγάλων εμπορικών κέντρων -το ανακαινισμένο μινιόν και το άλλο στο μαρούσι - μου έρχονται κάποιες σκέψεις για το τι τελικά είμαστε σαν χώρα σήμερα.
Για άλλη μια φορά λοιπόν μια κατασκευή για τους "καταναλωτές θύματα".
Καταναλώστε καταναλώστε καταναλώστε (ε πάρτε και κανένα δανειάκι ...)
Εδώ και πολλά χρόνια τα νέα από το χώρο των κατασκευών του ιδιωτικού τομέα μονοπολούν supermarket,multiplex cinemas,bar,disco,εμπορικά κέντρα κτλπ.
ΕΛΕΟΣ
Ποιος παράγει τελικά σε αυτή τη χώρα?[/B]
Αν κάνουμε ένα γύρο στην ξεχασμένη επαρχεία (αλλά και τα προάστια της Αθηνας ) θα δούμε ότι "τα νέα" είναι του στυλ "άλλο ένα supermarket-ikea,praktiker,sklavenitis,carefour , multiplex άνοιξε τις πύλες του"
Αυτή είναι η ανάπτυξη που κάποιοι (μήπως εμείς οι ίδιοι?) θέλουν να έχει η ελλάδα.
Να μην παράγει σχεδόν τίποτα , να ζει από τον τουρισμό και τις υπηρεσίες (ουσιαστικά ανακύκλωση του χρήματος ) και να διασώζεται κάθε φορά από "τσόντες ενίσχυσης" ΄΄οπως το συνάλλαγμα από την εμπορική ναυτιλία ή τα κοινοτικά κονδύλια (ως πότε? )
Πριν λοιπόν χειροκροτήσουμε ας σκεφτούμε λίγο βαθύτερα το κατά πόσο είναι αυτό που μας αξίζει να είμαστε μία χώρα των supermarket και του φραπέ.

·
The Jedi Will Rise Again
13,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
θα σου πώ ότι συμφωνώ μαζί σου αν και στην Αθήνα τα μυνήματα είναι αρκετά αισιόδοξα, εφόσον έχουμε και νέους πολιτιστικούς πολυχώρους όπως ο "Ελληνικός Κόσμος" και άλλα στην Πειραιώς, το νέο "Ευγενίδιο", η "Στέγη Γραμμάτων και τεχνών" του Ωνασείου Ιδρύματος και το μουδσείο Μοντέρνας τέχνης στου "Φιξ" στη Συγγρού, οπότε το τοπίο δεν είναι παντελώς άνυδρο... Εξάλλου και στο μέγαρο ΜΤΣ, έεε City Link ήθελα να πώ- αρκεί μια καλή εκδήλωση στο Παλάς να του δώσει ένα άλλο χρώμα.

Θα συμφωνήσω για τη επαρχία όπου αν και δεν έχω πάει προσωπικά, τα νέα όντως μιλούν συνεχώς για νέα διασκεδαστήρια κλπ. γενικά το φαινόμενο των διασκεδαστηρίων το έχω καυτηριάσει πολυ σε διάφορες καταχωρήσεις στο φόρουμ του "stadia.gr "και συγκεκριμένα στο τμήμα των "Υποδομών και Έργων" (συνδεσμος -----------> http://www.stadia.gr/forum/viewforum.php?f=5&sid=b5d38303791d8cc8d61867cb4987b191 . Το λυπηρό είναι ότι δυστυχώς σαν μορφή αρχιτεκτονικής πρότασης στην Ελλάδα μόνο αυτά παράγονται σωρηδόν, ιδίως εκτός Αθηνών. Βέβαια, το εμπορικό της Lambda development του Ομίλου Λάτση στην Πυλαία φαίνεται να είναι σχετικά μακράν των υπολοίπων αλλά και πάλι, αλλοίμονο μας αν η αρχιτεκτονική επαφίεται στα χέρια μόνο των επι χρήμασι δρώντων.

·
The Jedi Will Rise Again
13,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@sts

Yes, looks good, actually some papers have talked already about "a touch of Milano in Athens". :)

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
:eek:mg: :applause: :applause: :applause:

gm, I must say you are truly an artist when it comes to these things.... you commentary, your passion, your love is just so visible in your topics. (not to mention the time involved)

Amazing representation of this beautiful area rebuilt. THIS is what Athens needs. We have seen in the last years so many buildings in need get restored, bringing some life and blood back into the city.

Another great example is this picture, where not only was the massive reconstruction of the complex going on, but also the little treasures still standing throughout Athens like this being reconstructed also:

I have always wondered when some of these building would get restored, I always wondered why they were not. But slowly it is getting done.

Athens is a changing city - for the better, you can feel it when just walking the streets. And your representation of this I must say, is amazing.

MPRAVO SOU!!!

ps I await your later updates on this complex/area, and your updates to future areas and locations. Keep up the good work, your threads (and a few others) are what keep me here. :)

·
Strength and Honour
2,324 Posts
that's awesome. I love this type of buildings :eek:kay:

·
The Jedi Will Rise Again
13,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
@ sts and the rest of the visitors:

First of all, thank you for your kind words guys... :)

The Hellenic press talked about "a touch of Milan", because the building will have a central atrium which will have the shape of an arcade of shops actually (we use the ancient Greek term "stoa" to describe this architectural element) and will be covered by a glass roof. It will be called "Stoa Spiromiliou" (or the "Spiromilios arcade" and I wished I knew who Mr Spiromilios was but nevermind). The glass roof will be at a height of 25 metres BTW.

It appears that Milan is famous for its similar arcades in old and renovated buildings and that's why they talked about "a touch of Milan". Of course, many high class Italian firms will be sold all over the place there in various locations, you know, Armani, Guzzi and the like... :).

If you click HERE, you can see a very interesting page from the newspaper "Ta Nea" which depicts the atrium and the theatres. It is in Greek but even the international visitors of this page will get the idea of how the inner spaces of the building will look in fall 2005.

Also, if you click in ---> http://www.atticadps.gr to get information about the main attraction now, namely the department store, although I reckon that what will definitely make the difference will be the atrium and the shopping arcade in the middle. Athens has many locations similar to this but NOTHING as grandiose as this one.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
oh boy, sts I don't think many things can come close to those pictures. ;) Very nice.

·
Toronto and Athens
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
5,235 Posts
Istanbullu said:
Are there alot of these kind of old buildings in Athens needs to be restored?

That guy on the bike really killed me! :D

Great thread!

There are hundreds, if not thousands like that. Unfortunately, they were neglected during the 1970's and 1980's (and the early years of 1990's). However, most of them are being restored. As Christos said, one notices the difference each time they visit.

By the way, I think the guy on the bike was Ozcan..... :runaway:

·
Toronto and Athens
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
5,235 Posts
sts said:
Sorry,Christos,what do you mean??

Sts, what Christos meant is that not many places in the world can compare in beauty to the amazing picture you posted, no matter how hard they try!

He gave you a compliment! :)

Cheers my friend! :cheers:

·
The Jedi Will Rise Again
13,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
He means that this arcade in Milan is simply unbelievable. I found some pics of it in a magazine and I think I may post one or two. Definitely in a class of its own, ours is a much more modest size and without all those ornamental/ decorative details. Looks like this Milanese complex dates back to the Renaissance... So much mural art... :eek: un-be-friggin-lievable... :eek:

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
What they said. :)

Nothing can compare to Milan, and that arcade. It looks so much history and looks so elegant and nice. Nothing can compare....

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Thank you my dear greek friend,cheers!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

btw,I think this new arcade in Athens looks really pretty!Is more modern then the milanese one,but looks great!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts