1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
LAL | LAD | LAK
6,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From blogdowntown:

From Flickr, by eecue

Downtown 1990

Thirty-five years ago today the Times ran an interesting piece talking about the $250,000 Downtown plan put together by planning firm Wallace, McHarg, Roberts & Todd. The plan laid out a vision of Downtown in 1990 (pictured at right), and it's a bit different than the Downtown of 2007.

Most interesting: the park that was supposed to give some sense to the "South Park" name. The 50-acre space was supposed to include a large lake and was to be the focal point for some dense high-rise development (you can make out the park as the low spot in the foreground of the image at right).

As nice a little space as Grand Hope Park is, it's hard to imagine what South Park might be like if built around a green space like this. While many residential developments are adding their own green space, they hardly take the place of city-owned space like this.

Update (Tuesday): Click the image for a much higher-res version of the rendering, scanned by Dave Bullock from his secret stash of Downtown history.

For more on the plan, check the historic LA Times archive and look for "The $2Billion Prescription to Cure Downtown's Ills" by John Pastier.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
whats with the mini interchanges on the 1o?

and what is that new freeway? alameda street highway? never seen anything about that before

·
Smile!
609 Posts
That South Park park they had planned at that time would of been nice. And it looks like there are some highrises surrounding the park meaning if this project actually happened, the L.A. skyline would be much bigger than it is now.

·
skyscraper maniac
1,982 Posts
Yeah yeah, but ir truly would've made downtown look like an office park. In fact, I'm glad this never got off ground. Who wants to have a skyline with
70s architecture dominating!

·
"There It Is, Take It!"
981 Posts
Meh, no Library/US Bank Tower...

·
Bleed Dodger Blue
1,773 Posts
Yeah yeah, but ir truly would've made downtown look like an office park. In fact, I'm glad this never got off ground. Who wants to have a skyline with
Hey, I like 70's architecture. AON Center is classic. But I wish we had taller Art Deco buildings, my favorites by far.

·
"There It Is, Take It!"
981 Posts
whats with the mini interchanges on the 1o?

and what is that new freeway? alameda street highway? never seen anything about that before
That's what would have happened if we had no mass transit.

·
Bleed Dodger Blue
1,773 Posts
Hey I just thought of something. How is that only a $250,000 plan? That seems way too cheap.

·
"There It Is, Take It!"
981 Posts
Hey I just thought of something. How is that only a $250,000 plan? That seems way too cheap.
The plan was made back in the early '70s....you know, before you even existed. :lol:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Agreed. Looks like an anorexic NYNY wannabe plan complete with it's own central park facsimile. Completely dull but interesting to see a historical take!

·
Bleed Dodger Blue
1,773 Posts
Planning wasn't taken as seriously back in the '70s, that's probably why.
But 250K back then is worth over a million now.
Hmm, well lets try this. When Dodger stadium was built, it cost $23 million and it started construction in 1959. Most stadiums today cost what, like $400 million? So the cost has gone up 20x since 1959? So this accounts for inflation, new/safer/better construction techniques, environmental impact reports, property values, etc.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Dodger stadium cost 23 million in 1960 but this entire project only costs 250k in in the 70s? Still seems like some funny accounting if you ask me.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Well, Im sure that whole lot of towers would have turned out like an awful office park with plazas and wasted space everywhere. However the idea of setting aside a lot of space for a park was a good one, and its unfortunate that never happened.

·
"There It Is, Take It!"
981 Posts
Well, Im sure that whole lot of towers would have turned out like an awful office park with plazas and wasted space everywhere. However the idea of setting aside a lot of space for a park was a good one, and its unfortunate that never happened.
It's gonna happen, though in a different place (Cornfields/El Pueblo State Park)...the 35-year old rendering still shows it as a railroad yard.

·
Avant Garde
3,807 Posts
I'm actually glad that this vision remained a vision. It just looks like 2 square parcell's of squares. No organic flow. It's design is not very friendly.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts