Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a trip to central Europe with some friends over the summer. So far this is the plan:

Day 1: London-Hamburg (plane)
Day 2: Hamburg
Day 3: Hamburg-Berlin (train)
Day 4: Berlin
Day 5: Berlin
Day 6: Berlin
Day 7: Berlin-Prague (train)
Day 8: Prague
Day 9: Prague
Day 10: Prague-Budapest (night-train)
Day 11: Budapest
Day 12: Budapest (day trip to Lake Balaton)
Day 13: Budapest-London (plane)

Any suggestions about what to do and see while there (I know Berlin fairly well but haven't been to any of the other cities) or any alterations to the plan would be really welcome. Thanks in advance.

·
Vivat capitalismus
5,330 Posts
I just want to add that other cities would come in handy if you like to discover some more places: Karlovy Vary, Brno, Vienna, Szekesfehervar, Bratislava or Gyor. All have rail connections and could be visited within a day. :)

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah. We may take a trip to Brno if I can convince my friends that a three hour train journey for a Mies villa is worthwhile! If I take a day trip from Berlin, are Postdam/Dessau/Magdeburg worth seeing?

·
Vivat capitalismus
5,330 Posts
Yea, Postdam is near Berlin so even a half-day trip there would take no problem. The only city in Germany that I think it's worth a stop along your journey is Dresden. Magdeburg...etc is too far West so I'd be nice if you could make a stop in Dresden for a day or two, to visit the old city or the Saxony Switzerland.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Dresden is essential to stop in particularly because you must go through it anyway on the train from Berlin to Prague. Even if you just jump off the train for a couple hours and check out the wonderful Old Town and Neumarkt reconstruction with the Frauenkirche which are all within walking distance of the train station. Then back on the train to Prague on the same day.

·
Registered
meow
10,270 Posts
Dresden is essential to stop in particularly because you must go through it anyway on the train from Berlin to Prague. Even if you just jump off the train for a couple hours and check out the wonderful Old Town and Neumarkt reconstruction with the Frauenkirche which are all within walking distance of the train station. Then back on the train to Prague on the same day.
Yes, I'd definetly recommend that. Dresden is amazingly beautiful, the Neumarkt reconstruction was to me something pretty interesting, because I had never seen such a construction of 'old' buildings again, nice.

So, if you're here in Berlin I'd DEFINETLY recommend the tour in Hohenschönhausen prison (STASI main secret prison for political prisoners), one of the most amazing tours I've ever done. I still wanna go to Potsdam in the summer, so if this weekend looks good, I'm definitely going there.

I don't know if you also know, but there is also a concentration camp in the northern areas of Berlin, in Oranienburg, maybe if you already know most of the city, it's a good place to go. Other "alternative" places I'd recommend are Karl-Marx Allee in the area of U5 Strausberger Platz (you'll feel really in a communist country) and Altstadt Köpenick, it's still Berlin, but makes you feel just like you're in a small city (S Bahn Station Köpenick and Tram).

In Prague I saw basically the most tourist areas, in other words: malá strana, the prague castle (don't buy the ticket, just get into the big church, which requires no ticket) and the "downtown" area in the other side of mala strana going through Charles Bridge. Beware in Charles Bridge, cuz it gets REALLY crowded, so, if you wanna take some good pics, go in the early morning or something like this, otherwise, no way...

If you have a day or two more, I'd recommend you to put Karlovy Vary in Czech Republic in your list, dunno, it's 2 hours (by car) west of Prague, but it's HELL beautiful, definitely worth it. You can go there in the morning and come back in the evening and this would just do it. And also there's the bone chapel in Kutná Hora, which is also SOMETHING you have to see in your life, but that really would depend on your time. But IMO 2 entire days in Prague are well enough. There's a club right next to Charles Bridge, which is pretty TOURISTY, but I had a good time there, I could recommend it too.

Oh, you also have Hamburg, but Hamburg is the city I know the least among those. But it's very beautiful too. I strolled around the area of the town hall and in some pier area too, all nice places. The Alster lake is very beautiful with all those nice buildings around, yeah, it's well worth it.

So Budapest I don't know and yeah, that's it heheh.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Many thanks for the advice. I've visited Hohenschönhausen before and it was one of the affecting places I've visited, even more than Sachenhausen concentration camp. I haven't been to Altstadt Köpenick, is there much to do there? I'm thinking we'll probably just stay in Prague when we're in the Czech Republic - I really wanted to go to Brno but we're probably already going to go to Dessau for the Bauhaus and there's only so many modernist buildings you can drag your friends to!

I think we'll probably stop off at Dresden for lunch and a quick walk round on the way to Prague. I'm not too familiar with central European trains and the websites aren't that useful; are the sleeper trains which run as part of EuroCity advisable for Prague-Budapest? Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
meow
10,270 Posts
^^ Well, it's just an old and small suburb of Berlin, but I just said that considering you already know much of the city. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts