SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
The heavy plant seems to have gone with the site far from prepared for building work to my uneducated eyes. Anybody know what the next steps and timescales are?

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I don't think there is even a developer attached to the site or any planning permission so it is going to be 2 years+ before anything happens.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Sorry what I meant was that they don't seem to have completed works to the existing planning consents. I believe the project is a collaboration between home, galliford try and the council and there is a planning brief but no specifics thus far. A bit more digging suggests Egret West are the appointed designers

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Ah, got you. I wonder if it's partly going to be social housing with Home involved. I hope the parties involved can meet the council's aspirations on the document Ken linked to.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,309 Posts
Worked on previous contract here about 4+ years ago - site is B1 of those area in long term Gateshead plan for Housing http://www.gateshead.gov.uk/Building and Development/LiveGatesheadLoveGateshead/JointVenture/Sitemaps.aspx

Nice to see something happening again - the vegetation that was cut down previously has regenerated big style and once certain species get established sometimes difficult to clear and cause planning difficulties

In case of this site the Dingy Skipper butterfly already has case to take some of area to south boundary abutting the railway out of the development area

KEN
The heavy plant seems to have gone with the site far from prepared for building work to my uneducated eyes. Anybody know what the next steps and timescales are?
This was posted by Ken back in August.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Yes again I realise what the plans are but the concrete platforms, vegetation and tarmac only seem cleared from about a third of the site and the plant was removed about a week ago. I was wondering if this is a temporary halt and work will resume to make it more ready for immediate development. The butterfly issue as I read it was just the railway verge at the southern end.

·
Registered
20,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Former Freight Depot, St James Road, Gateshead - remediation Phase 1 works, 11/01/14

Follow up to my post # 19 of 12/12/13

Some further pictures by myself taken Saturday 11/01/14 approx 1415 through the steel bar fence on the Felling By-Pass, just east of bridge over the railway to show what seems to be completed works to break up platforms etc of the former railway goods yard - images hosted on Photobucket

KEN

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
May I kindly nudge you guys to take a peek at these proposals for the above site:

http://egretwest.com/projects/strategic-frameworks/evolution-gateshead-2/#more-536

If Gateshead Council can pull this off I believe that this could be the next greatest housing development on Tyneside since the Byker Wall Estate, as well as linking Gateshead Town Centre to its extents and providing a magnificent threshold into the southern approach of Newcastle and Gateshead Urban Core.

I eagerly await further news :)

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
If there was an element you would expect not to make it it would be the apartment blocks. What is it with terraced housing being seen as 'trendy' at the moment. I personally wouldn't want to live in a terrace if I had a choice due to noise concerns, potential for disputes with neightbours, etc.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Good grief... tomorrows slum :(

People want to live in classic, Georgian style detached and semi-detached properties.

They do not want to be squeezed into ever smaller apartments with no gardens or parking.

·
Registered
20,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Former Freight Depot, St James Road, Gateshead - remediation Phase 1 works, as viewed from Mount Pleasant area, 11/04/14

Follow up to my post # 27 of 11/01/14

A further picture by myself taken Friday 11/04/14 approx 1045 from The "Bankies" area, Mount Pleasant to show the now "prepared" former railway goods yard - image hosted on Photobucket

KEN

·
Registered
20,462 Posts
Former Freight Depot, St James Road, Gateshead - Archaeological Report for the site

Follow up to 1898 map extract shown on post # 6 (Gateshead thread 1303) above these later OS Map extracts show the development of the area in question over the years

1912 map

1950 map

1970 map

Images hosted on Photobucket

KEN
Follow up on post #7 of 15/10/13 (above)

On 30/08/14 came across electronic version of 38 page Archaeological Report for the site - contained in the Planning Documents associated with the recent remediation scheme Phase 1 http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=externalDocuments&keyVal=MNVHOEHK3Y000 (and also used on the initial remediation scheme)

Report link http://myserviceplanning.gateshead.gov.uk/Planning/StreamDocPage/obj.pdf?DocNo=14979580&PageNo=1&content=obj.pdf

Gives history of site area in text, plans and old maps

KEN

·
Registered
20,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Central Freight Depot Site (Housing Regeneration), Gateshead - activity 19/03/15

Noticed some activity on Thursday 19/03/15 when walking down St James' Rd at approx 0930 so took this picture

Seeing the shredder would assume that a cut back of the vegetation to ensure the proper environment for Dingy Skipper (Scientific name: Erynnis tages) butterflies that inhabit the site is taking place

Was involved with the initial site clearance scheme some years ago and that included removal of excessive vegetation for provide an adequate habitat for this species.

The final new build housing scheme is set to include for a protected habitat for the butterflies alongside the railway tracks

http://butterfly-conservation.org/50-1101/dingy-skipper.html

Extract

Habitat

Colonies occur in a wide range of open, sunny habitats including chalk downland, woodland rides and clearings, coastal habitats such as dunes and undercliffs, heathland, old quarries, railway lines and waste ground.

Suitable conditions occur where foodplants grow in a sparse sward, often with patches of bare ground in a sunny, sheltered situation. Taller vegetation is also required for shelter and roosting.

These pictures by myself looking down on the the cleared site area as viewed from various locations in the Mount Pleasant area of Gateshead

11/04/14

28/02/15

Announcement on 18/03/15

Gateshead has been awarded a share of £200m in the Government’s Budget yesterday to transform part of its High Street into housing.

Gateshead’s ‘Exemplar Neighbourhood’ project would convert more than 100 acres of brownfield site and former shops at the southern end of the town’s High Street into housing in a community model inspired by continental Europe

More on http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=122534790&postcount=1941 headed Budget 2015: Gateshead dream housing project wins share of £200m in Government cash

Assume that this site together with the cleared adjacent Chandless Estate, see http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1540867 thread will be the area in question

Images hosted on Photobucket

KEN

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Any signs of any developers for this site or even the Council getting involved with funding? I suppose it is unlikely now with local government finances. Surprised to some extent that a house builder is not interested. Then again the Council may be pushing for high quality which makes it economically undesirable for the builder.

Ken, in respect of your post above the 'exemplar neighbourhood' is on the Council city strategy documents as being in the area currently occupied by Matalan, the Police station and the magistrates court.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts

·
Registered
20,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Central Freight Depot Site (Housing Regeneration), Gateshead - pictures 01/10/16

On way to the International Stadium on Saturday 01/10/16 approx 1400 noticed that a large number of excavators along with portable toilets etc now located up towards the railway tracks, south east corner of the area (near Gateshead Stadium metro station), plus a Carillion sign had been placed inside the site and another on the steel palisade fence mid way down the St James Rd elevation

Not spotted anything on Gateshead Planning Portal recently regards the site and unable to check it when compiling this post due to "Server" problem

The signs shown on next picture, inside the fence, relate to previous remediation contract

The start of works ?

My images hosted on Photobucket

KEN

21 - 40 of 57 Posts