SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Awesomeness
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Central Java/Yogya Earthquake

Not really appropriate for the Enviromental thread.

---

Powerful earthquake rocks Indonesia's Central Java province

YOGYAKARTA, Indonesia (AP) - A powerful earthquake rocked Indonesia's Central Java province early Saturday, flattening buildings and killing at least three people, witnesses and officials said. Scores of other people were injured.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the 6.2 magnitude earthquake struck at 5:54 a.m. (2354 GMT) 25 kilometers (15 miles) southwest of the city of Yogyakarta.

A witness in the city told The Associated Press he had seen three bodies under the rubble of two houses and that scores of injured were being taken to the city's hospitals in pickup trucks.

Electricity and communications across the city were also down, police said.

Shortly before the quake, nearby Mount Merapi, which has been rumbling for weeks, sent out a massive cloud of hot gas and ash.

It was not immediately clear if the eruption and the earthquake were linked, or if the eruption had caused any casualties.

Activity at Mount Merapi, one of the world's most active volcanoes, has picked up in recent weeks and almost all villagers living near the danger zone have been evacuated.

Indonesia, the world's largest archipelago, is prone to seismic upheaval due to its location on the so-called Pacific "Ring of Fire,'' an arc of volcanos and fault lines encircling the Pacific Basin.-AP

·
Awesomeness
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My fiancee's uncle's house was destroyed in the earthquake. They don't know if his family is alive or not.

---

At least 15 dead, hundreds injured in Indonesia quake

YOGYAKARTA, Indonesia (Reuters) - An earthquake that shook the area around the ancient royal city of Yogyakarta early on Saturday morning has killed at least 15 people and left hundreds injured, hospital staff said.

In the town of Bantul, 55 km (34 miles) south of Yogyakarta, the local hospital's information officer, Kardi, said: "At least 10 people are dead, hundreds are hurt."

Earlier a hospital nurse in Yogyakarta had reported at least five deaths there from the quake, which happened just before 6 a.m. (2300 GMT) and had a magnitude of 6.2 according to the
U.S. Geological Survey.

The quake's epicenter was offshore, but Jakarta earthquake center official Fauzi said it did not cause a tsunami.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
my wife's family is in Yogya - Jl Kaliurang!! we cannot contact them although that may just be because communication systems are overloaded or damamged

·
Awesomeness
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bet they're fine Anton. From what I read most of the damage is south of Yogya. No deaths reported in the city and not much damage either. The electricity and communications are down and I can gaurantee you there are more than a million calls flooding the city right now.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Zorobabel said:
I bet they're fine Anton. From what I read most of the damage is south of Yogya. No deaths reported in the city and not much damage either. The electricity and communications are down and I can gaurantee you there are more than a million calls flooding the city right now.
OK many thanks. When i read that your family's house was detsroyed i got all worried. That's terrible. We have had calls and sms from different parts of Indonesia but no news from jogja.

A few questions if you don't mind...

How did you find out about your fiancees family? And the other more general info? where is that coming from?

My sister in-law lives in Jl Kaliurang km 6,5 so on the north side of the city.

We have sent some sms's (text) to HP's but no reply yet. Did you receive some sms? actually my wife now tells me that the sms her sister in jogja has already contacted her brother in sumatra.

The scary thing is that reported death tolls always rise.

·
Awesomeness
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good questions. Too bad I don't know all the details. Her aunt just called and said his house was destroyed, but they don't know any details. I don't know how she found out about it. Supposedly a lot of houses around his were also destroyed. Her aunt lives in Jakarta. Again, I don't know how she got the info. Also, the uncle lives south of Yogya.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
^^ cheers thanks.

we just heard that they are ok but scarred. some ceiling panels collapsed but that is no major strutural damage. many of their neighbours were fearing a tsunami even though they are located far from the sea. It must have been terrible for those who live next to the sea down south.

UPDATE: ha ha - just got new sms via sumatra - my cute 9 year old neice has learnt all about earthquakes at school and has been trying to calm her mother (sister in law) who doesn't know much. even in times of disaster there are cause for laughter.

·
Awesomeness
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was wrong. Her uncle lives in Yogya. Good thing I kept that info secret until you got more news. :)

---

Over 50 dead, hundreds hurt in Indonesia quake

YOGYAKARTA, Indonesia (Reuters) - At least 51 people were killed and hundreds were injured when an earthquake shook the area around Indonesia's ancient royal city of Yogyakarta early on Saturday, hospital staff said.

Yogyakarta is on Indonesia's main island of Java and near Mount Merapi, a volcano that has been on top alert for a major eruption this month, but a vulcanologist in Yogyakarta said the quake was tectonic and not caused by the volcano.

The epicenter of the quake -- which happened just before 6 a.m. (2300 GMT) and had a magnitude of 6.2, according to the U.S. Geological Survey -- was offshore. Jakarta earthquake center official Fauzi said it did not cause a tsunami.

Yogyakarta is about 25 km (16 miles) north of the Indian Ocean coast.

Sumarno, an official in the morgue at Sarjito hospital in Yogyakarta, told Reuters that 36 bodies had been taken to the morgue room there.

In the town of Bantul, just south of Yogyakarta, local hospital information officer Kardi said: "At least 10 people are dead, hundreds are hurt."

Earlier, a nurse at Muhammadiyah hospital in Yogyakarta had reported at least five deaths there from the quake

It was not immediately clear how the deaths happened, but witnesses said many houses had collapsed.

Jakarta earthquake center official Fauzi put the strength at 5.8 and said the epicenter was in the sea about 50 km (31 miles) south of Yogyakarta at a depth of 33 km (21 miles).

Kardi said there was widespread panic in Bantul and a desperate need for more doctors and nurses to treat the injured.

A Reuters witness in Yogyakarta said many people there had fled their homes while thousands of others from areas around the city were trying to evacuate to it, many fearing a tsunami.

One Yogyakarta resident, Nani Kasidjo, said: "I was having a morning walk and suddenly I felt dizzy and then people ran out of their houses screaming 'Earthquake!."'

Indonesia's national airlines, Garuda, said Yogyakarta's airport was closed.

Roads leading to the coast were cracked and electricity was off, witnesses said.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
50 dead! oh shit. It is still early days.

And i am sure most of these people have very little money even before the earthquake. Disaster always hits the poor hardest :(

·
Awesomeness
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
M6.2 quake hits Indonesia, more than 100 killed
A powerful earthquake with a magnitude of 6.2 hit Java, Indonesia, at 5:54 a.m. local time on Saturday, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.
Reuters reported more than 100 people have been killed, quoting hospital officials.
The focus of the quake was about 17 kilometers underground, some 25 km southwest of Yogyakarta, Java, according to the USGS.
The Indonesian meteorological authorities said the quake will not trigger a tsunami.
Local reports said many buildings, including hotels, collapsed in Yogyakarta, while communication systems and electricity have been suspended.
==Kyodo

---

Deadly Quake Rocks Indonesia
6.2 Magnitude Tremblor Kills At Least 104 In Central Java Province

(AP) A powerful earthquake rocked Indonesia's Central Java province early Saturday, killing at least 104 people and flattening buildings, authorities and state media said. Scores were injured.

The 6.2 magnitude quake also triggered heightened activity in the region's Mount Merapi volcano, which has been spewing out clouds of hot ash, gas and lava for several weeks, scientists said.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the 6.2 magnitude earthquake struck at 5:54 a.m. 15 miles southwest of the city of Yogyakarta.

Djadjat, an official the country's Meteorology and Geophysics Agency who goes by just one name, said at least 15 people were killed by falling rubble.

A witness in the city told The Associated Press he had seen three bodies under the rubble of two houses and that scores of injured were being taken to the city's hospitals in pickup trucks. That report couldn't immediately be confirmed with authorities.

Injuries were also reported in the nearby cities of Solo and Bantul.

Police said electricity and communications across Yogyakarta were knocked out.

The quake cracked the runway in Yogyakarta's airport, closing it to aircraft until at least Sunday while inspections take place, Transport Minister Hatta Radjasa said.

"It felt really powerful, and the whole building shook," said Narman, a receptionist at a hotel in the city. "Everyone ran from their rooms."

In the chaos that followed the quake, rumors of an impending tsunami sent thousands of people fleeing to higher ground in cars and motorbikes. The city is around 20 miles from the sea, and more than two hours after the quake no tsunami had occurred.

Indonesia, the world's largest archipelago, is prone to seismic upheaval due to its location on the so-called Pacific "Ring of Fire," an arc of volcanos and fault lines encircling the Pacific Basin.

A magnitude 6 quake has the potential to cause severe damage.

·
Awesomeness
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
From here I will only update if the death toll doubles...

---

Strong earthquake kills 211 in Indonesia
By IRWAN FIRDAUS, Associated Press Writer

YOGYAKARTA, Indonesia - A powerful earthquake rocked Indonesia's Central Java province early Saturday, killing at least 211 people and injuring scores, hospitals said. Buildings were flattened.

In the chaos that followed the magnitude 6.2 quake, rumors of an impending tsunami sent thousands of people on the island of Java fleeing to higher ground in cars and motorbikes. The city of Yogyakarta on Java is around 18 miles from the sea and about 250 miles east of the capital, Jakarta. But Japan's Meteorological Agency said there was no danger of a tsunami.

The quake also triggered heightened activity in the region's deadly Mount Merapi volcano, which has been spewing out clouds of hot ash, gas and lava for several weeks, a scientist said.

Five hours after the quake struck, at least 211 bodies were in seven hospitals in the region, and more injured and dead were still arriving, morgue officials told The Associated Press by telephone.

Witnesses at hospitals said hundreds of injured people were arriving for emergency treatment, many with broken bones and cuts.

TV footage showed damaged hotels and government buildings, and several collapsed buildings.

The quake cracked the runway in Yogyakarta's airport, closing it to aircraft until at least Sunday while inspections take place, Transport Minister Hatta Radjasa said.

Electricity and communications were also down in parts of Yogyakarta, police said.

"It felt really powerful, and the whole building shook," said Narman, a receptionist at a hotel in the city who goes by one name. "Everyone ran from their rooms."

The quake's epicenter was close to the Mount Merapi volcano, which has been rumbling for weeks and sending out large clouds of hot gas and ash. Activity increased as a result of the temblor, with one eruption coming soon after the volcano sent debris some 2 miles down its western flank, said Subandrio, a vulcanologist monitoring the peak.

"The quake has disturbed the mountain," he said.

There were no reports of injuries as a result of the eruption.

Activity at Mount Merapi, one of the world's most active volcanoes, has picked up in recent weeks and almost all villagers living near the danger zone have been evacuated.

Indonesia, the world's largest archipelago, is prone to seismic upheaval due to its location on the so-called Pacific "Ring of Fire," an arc of volcanos and fault lines encircling the Pacific Basin.

A magnitude 9.1 earthquake on Dec. 26, 2004, under the sea off the coast of Indonesia's Sumatra Island triggered a tsunami that killed more than 131,000 people in nearby Aceh province, and more than 100,000 others in nearly a dozen other countries.

·
Awesomeness
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alvin said:
To think that something like this could hit a city like Jogjakarta...:(
Imagine if the tsunami had hit the northern coast of Java. 10+ million dead.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
it so sad :cry: I hope there'll be no Tsunamis or anything else

·
Awesomeness
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, it doubled. Also, the uncle and his family are fine. Their house is history, though.

---

Indonesia earthquake kills more than 400
By IRWAN FIRDAUS, Associated Press Writer

YOGYAKARTA, Indonesia - A powerful earthquake flattened buildings in central Indonesia early Saturday, killing more than 400 people, injuring hundreds of others and leaving hospitals appealing for help.

The magnitude 6.2 quake struck at 5:54 a.m. near the southwest of the city of Yogyakarta, 250 miles east of the capital, Jakarta, as many people slept, causing death and damage there and in at least two other nearby towns, officials said.

In the chaos that followed the quake, rumors of an impending tsunami sent thousands of people on Java fleeing to higher ground in cars and motorbikes. But Japan's Meteorological Agency said there was no danger of a tsunami.

The quake also triggered heightened activity in nearby Mount Merapi volcano, which has been spewing out clouds of hot ash, gas and lava for several weeks, a scientist said.

The death toll rose steadily through the morning and eight hours after it struck, the Indonesian Red Cross put the death toll at 443. Morgue officials and the privately run el-Shinta radio said at least 393 bodies were lying in nine hospitals in the region.

·
Registered
369 Posts
YOGYAKARTA (Reuters) - An earthquake that shook the area around Indonesia's ancient royal city of Yogyakarta early on Saturday killed at least 1,325 people, a government official said.

Kinta, an official from Social Ministry, told Elshinta news radio that the figure did not include people still buried or trapped under rubble of collapsed buildings.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts