Votes: 4 0.5%
  • 3 or less

Votes: 37 4.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 408 Posts

·
Old School
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Central Plaza
Hongkong, China

HEIGHT: 374m/1,227 feet
FLOORS: 78 floors
COMPLETION: 1992
ARCHITECT: DLN Architects & Engineers

Central Plaza is a seventy-eight storey high office tower located beside Hong Kong harbor in Wanchai. It is the tallest building in Hong Kong and, at the time of its completion, was the tallest reinforced concrete building in the world outside North America.

The building plan form of a triangle with rebated corners maximizes views of the harbor from the tower. The roof of the tower is treated as a positive architectural feature with a strong pyramidal form surmounted by a 60m tall mast. At night-time the tower is illuminated by gold-coloured neon-accent lighting built into the facade and various, changing, colors of flood lighting.

The office building, in line with the premium sector of the international office market, offers substantial leisure and recreation facilities for tenants. There is a swimming pool and garden on the podium roof, a gymnasium, health club and cafe-bar.

·
Old School
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found a very interesting site about Central Plaza. Information all about the building - why it's triangle shaped, the issues that came up in construction, the lighting system, and lots more. Click here. They had info about the developpers too, which are Sino Group (50%), Sun Hung Kai Properties Ltd (45%) and Ryoden Group (5%) which are all publicly traded companies if I'm not mistaken. I don't know if the government has any offices in the building, I don't think so though.

·
By Spirit
25,871 Posts
8/10

I love its top best..really an impressive pinnacle..but for most of its mass it looks too much like a box (despite being triangular shaped). I recall seeing neon dragons adorning its facade at night.

This building also houses a church at its top. If anyone can find pics of those post here!

·
By Spirit
25,871 Posts
Thanks for the pics Jason..that rendering is gross! Out of proportion spires. I dunno if this is true..but when they were planning it they wanted it to be taller than Empire State but were financially constrained.

The interior looks posh!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I can see them now :) They were red X's for a while and I couldn't copy the URL, etc. Maybe that server went down for a bit?

Back on topic... That first pic with the rendering of Central Plaza gave me chills...in a bad way. That tower would have been nasty looking if they kept the spire that way. :runaway: I am soooo glad they changed it! :)

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
The lighting on this building at night is an absolute beaut.

Design with spire is good.

9/10

·
Registered
47 Posts
Distinct, but not that impressive.

·
Don't be that guy!
1,097 Posts
lightning sharp!..Very good. 10/10

1 - 20 of 408 Posts