SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 897 Posts

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Planning application submitted for the site of Lumiere.

Basic information

* Two buildings- Northern (facing Whitehall RD), Southern (Facing Wellington ST)

* Open space between the two buildings to create an urban square linked to the existing piazza

Northern

* Either Hotel or Office

Southern

* Office Block

* Buildings 8/14 storeys high, two of which are recessed with the potential for further height

http://democracy.leeds.gov.uk/mgConvert2PDF.aspx?ID=68948

RENDER

·
Registered
316 Posts
I wondered if something was happening on this site, been seeing a bit of activity recently.

At least there will be some cost saving as a lot of the ground work has already been done for lumiere.

·
dE/dm
2,411 Posts
Promising, but if there's enough demand for office space then City square house should be the priority.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree Talisker, never seen a car park with such a prime location! Anyone who walks out of the north concourse is faced with that. Should be a priority as the old Majestyk looks so good.

·
Registered
12,647 Posts
tbh, 11 storeys fits this site much better than what Linfoot was proposing. High quality design please, not more noughties plastic shit.

·
dE/dm
2,411 Posts
Offices have usually been of higher standard though, Tower House excepting. If it were residential then we'd almost certainly be getting 11 stories of rainscreen garbage, but I have more confidence in offices.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Theres an article on Business Desk.

Might have something of interest, anyone has a subscription please post a copy.

http://www.thebusinessdesk.com/york...-planned-for-lumiere-site.html?news_section=7

Towers planned for Lumiere site

PLANS for a scaled down version of the collapsed Lumiere skyscraper project in Leeds city centre are to be unveiled.

The proposed scheme would see two towers each up to 11 storeys high being constructed on the site.

A report that will be presented to Leeds City Council's city centre plans panel suggests one of the buildings would be used as offices and the other could house a hotel.

However, any development constructed would be on a scaled down version to that initially proposed by KW Linfoot and Frasers Prope...

·
Registered
9,495 Posts
tbh, 11 storeys fits this site much better than what Linfoot was proposing. High quality design please, not more noughties plastic shit.
Ditto I agree certainly quality is needed as opposed to quanitity for a new development on the Lumiere site however I hope this new proposal is serious as opposed to just a bid to raise the value of land at this site. If it is a serious proposal I would certainly support it provided it is of a reasonable standard.

·
Registered
7,529 Posts
Yeah 22 floors would be more respectable, what makes this idea crap is that green 'park' strip between the 2 blocks will hardly ever see direct sunlight
suppose 11 floors is more than Princes exchange, an impressive modern building. if this had
some element of architectural design quality to draw your eyes away from West Point
t'would be good..

·
Strong and Stable
6,685 Posts
As its an office development, 20 - 25 floors would look something. A 25 floor building would be about 100 metres tall given 4 metres per floor, so not far off Bridgewater Place heightwise. And it would provide plenty of office space, and there would still be room on that site for a hotel to be built, if they want one there.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Guys there are costs of going higher. Two 11 storey blocks will be pretty respectable.
You may want it to be twice as high, by why should it?

When was the last office building built in Leeds that exceeded 10 storeys?

·
Registered
9,495 Posts
Ditto two 11 storey office blocks would certainly be a reasonable way of filling the Lumiere site as such empty plots really need to be filled in and anyway the opportunity for talls in Leeds could always come from the likes of sites such as Wellington Place or the South Bank area encompassing of the likes of Tetleys Brewery, ASDA House and Hindle Valve.

Is there no word on what happened to KW Linfoot (the developer of the now axed Lumiere proposal) since his property empire crashed back in 2009?

1 - 20 of 897 Posts