SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 367 Posts

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a thread to discuss the overall redevelopment of Central Station in Sydney.

Currently Central Walk is under construction. There are future plans for a western extension of Central Walk through to Pitt St plus various OSD's.

·
WARREN
8,135 Posts
Looks like something you'd find in Yooorup. Wonder if Hungry Jacks will make a return? ;)

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
The recent newsletters mentioned the "suburban tunnel" (formerly known as the Olympic Tunnel) will soon be diverted at the western end, emerging somewhere near the lift adjacent to plat. 12. Would this mean it just joins to Lower Northern Concourse, so for the time being people use the existing escalators to get to the Grand Concourse and intercity platforms?

Also further down in the newsletter, December will see demolition of part of the "Southern Baggage Tunnel ".
Is that one of the two main tunnels at the southern end, or was that the funny little stub tunnel that branched off the main Southern tunnel beneath plat 12-13 and onlyran as far as 16-17-18-19?

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
The Southern Baggage Tunnel is the southern most tunnel where which runs west of platform 16 through to and past platform 1 (but only open as far as platform 4). But the demolition comment suggests it's just the Y-stub which serviced 16-19

On your first point, the official map has been updated which shows what I understand is happening:

https://transportnsw.info/document/1964/central-station-map.pdf

Basically there's a new transfer tunnel and stairs which connects the "suburban" tunnel to the transfer concourse at platform 12. This replaces the tunnel and connection near platform 9/10

·
Registered
4,103 Posts

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
If it's transport related it's relevant here. As mandonov says, there's threads in the Sydney CBD subforum for the development more broadly.

·
Sure, Jan...
3,455 Posts
So I've gathered what I could find in the various appendices of the Western Gateway proposal and found some concepts for what the surrounding precinct and Central Walk West could end up like. Just to be clear, the public space on the Western Gateway proposal itself is the only consistent feature across the documents, with any ideas about Railway Square or the Western Forecourt coming from the consultant's imaginings. The layout of Central Walk West to Ambulance Ave seems to be pretty locked in and in line with the eastern portion's design.

A nice cross-section of Central.

So there's various ideas to pedestrianise Lee Street, and maybe George Street, or maybe no street, who knows. I doubt George would be because of bus access to the light rail interchange and traffic to Chinatown, but Lee Street would be super easy to close north of Little Regent.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wonder when we’ll see an announcement about Central Walk West. Presumably it would be done in 2 stages to keep sufficient platforms of the terminus open. Hopefully they’ll remove the middle track where it exists and adjust the fan from 1 to 2 track pairs. Platforms 1/2 at Redfern feed into a western fan and platforms 3/4 feed into an eastern fan.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
^ I thought this would be announced as part of the West Metro project (I still think there will be a station at Central) but after this week's dud announcement I'm not so sure.

1 - 20 of 367 Posts