Registered
630 Posts

·
Registered
18,451 Posts

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
There are a few never-built visions for 10000 SaMo floating around out there (like this one). This particular rendering from HKS has been on the internet for a while, although I hadn't seen it posted on SSP or SSC until now.

My guess is that it's a rejected entry from a design competition, but I could be wrong.

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
55,632 Posts
Giant Pit Appears at Long-Sleepy Site of 10000 SMB Tower

The 10000 Santa Monica Boulevard project, long a gleam in Century City's eye, is finally on the move. Signage and netting for the 40-story residential tower have been up for about a year, but any work has been extremely minor. But, this past week, workers and big machines flooded the site and now a big hole has emerged. SkyscraperPage poster Circuitfiend says the developer, Miami's Crescent Heights, recently sent out a memo to nearby buildings saying that construction is beginning and will be complete in 30 months. No one from Crescent returned a request for confirmation, but the photos look pretty clear. The tower, designed by Handel Architects (starchitect Jean Nouvel designed an earlier version), will have 283 "luxury" units.

·
Kelvin Cheng
472 Posts
This will definitely change the Century City skyline the way Wilshire Grand will change Downtown skyline. Both buildings will stand out with a sloped roof and modern architecture. This building will stand out and stretch the skyline as well, being in the very corner of Century City. A winner for both!

·
Registered
18,451 Posts
This will definitely change the Century City skyline the way Wilshire Grand will change Downtown skyline. Both buildings will stand out with a sloped roof and modern architecture. This building will stand out and stretch the skyline as well, being in the very corner of Century City. A winner for both!
True, though this will be half the height of Wilshire Grand and not the tallest in CC. It does broaden the CC skyline from some angles and moves people onto Little SM, where there an actual urban street life is possible.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Official "Groundbreaking"

http://westsidetoday.com/2014/06/05/10000-santa-monica-boulevard-construction-commence-local-job-market-expand/

10000 Santa Monica Boulevard: Construction to Commence, Local Job Market to Expand

Today, the groundbreaking for the long-awaited 10000 Santa Monica Boulevard residential building was conducted, acting as a huge stepping stone for these future luxury rental homes and as well as the local job market. Located on the border of Beverly Hills and Century City, the development site is set to be the only high-rise and high-end rental project in west Los Angeles. With its completion will also come incredible views of all the diverse spectrums of the city, including the Pacific Ocean and the Hollywood Hills.
and...

Looks like the official ground-breaking ceremony for 10000 Sta Mon occurred this a.m. Speakers at a podium, cameras, sound system, dignitaries, shovels, the whole bit. You really can't tell by the lighting, but the dig is quite deep, which I tried to capture. It's better in the afternoon, when that side is in shadow. I'll take those shots when they're done digging.

·
Registered
18,451 Posts
I agree. Huge difference between this and, say, Metropolis, which had a ground-breaking some months back but nothing since. This is a big frickin' hole and several large pieces of equipment working away.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts