SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
55,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Century City? $1.2 billion? Richard Meier? Wanda Group? This one needs a thread!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bev Hills' 9900 Wilshire Sells to Chinese Mega-Developer

The 9900 Wilshire site has changed hands several times, seen a gajillion delays and redesigns on its fancy Richard-Meier-designed condo-and-retail project, and not played nice with the neighbors, but maybe its newest owners will be able to turn the project's rough luck around. Wanda Group, China's biggest commercial developer, has announced that they've purchased the property and are ready to sink $1.2 billion into building a mixed-user on the site, reports the LA Times.

It's not clear whether or not Wanda will be going forward with the previous condo project, though it would be relatively easy to do just that, seeing as the land was listed with entitlements and the lot is already cleared of any trace of the old Robinsons-May building.

Wanda's official release does make clear that they plan to have the new development be a sort of extension of Century City for their company, which also owns the AMC chain of movie theaters, and is really interested in having a stronger presence in the biz in LA. This Bev Hills project will be their "first important step into Hollywood", the headquarters for all the entertainment-related business for the company, and their base for investing in local film companies.

[...]
The site has been cleared of the old Robinsons-May department store and a nice controversial 16 foot fence is up. Now Wanda seems ready to move this snakebit development forward...

Robinsons May by Franklin Avenue, on Flickr

·
South Bay-LA
29 Posts
Considering they are investing $1.2 Billion, this could be a lot bigger than what the renders show.

·
Registered
18,088 Posts
Some background because this area is a bit confusing. This is located in BH, 100 yards west of where Wilshire and Santa Monica cross. It's neighbors to the east include top-shelf retail, hotel and office space, including the Beverly Hilton, which itself may get some additional condos or a new hotel (a 12-story Waldorf Astoria, apparently) on the premises. Beyond that is the heart of the BH shopping and office district.

Century City is about 200 yards west, with a new 40 story residential tower currently going up (10000 SM, which has its own thread). Another short block west along SM (basically at the shopping mall) another mid rise is going up. This was originally going to be over a subway stop (Purple Line) but that is now planned for a block south, much to the consternation of BH residents.

Descriptions get a bit confusing because SM Blvd. splits into 2 streets in this area, with the main section (north) being mostly for traffic and "Little SM" (south) having retail and leading directly to 10000 SM. It then merges back into the main SM Blvd.

The locale is tremendous for exposure, but not good for high rise since that doesn't fly in BH (by contrast the 40-story 10000 SM is literally just across the border in LA).

·
Its time
156 Posts
Quite excited about this, however I hope that more of a lodging component will be added. lets wait and see what Wanda wants to do, remember this group is also involved in entertainment business.

·
Registered
18,088 Posts
A bit open at this point. It's entitled for mid-rise residential (with a nasty little fight with the LA Country Club now apparently settled). Wanda said they plan to move their entertainment group to LA, but did not specifically said it would be located here. And the 1.2B "investment" they claim they are making is a lot of building for that area, given BH's height limits.

btw, the new Gores HQ building on the south side of Wilshire/Little SM is quite a beauty inside and out as well.

·
Its time
156 Posts
I thought the USD 1.2 Bn is based on design pre-purchase. Do we have confirmation from Wanda that they will be spending this much?

That stretch on wilshire (Beverly Hilton and Robinson Mai) has different zoning AFAIK

·
Registered
18,088 Posts
Like milqy, I'm curious as to what they have in mind.

The article implies that the 1.2B is in addition to the purchase price of the land with entitlement for a condo project. But even if you deduct, say, 300M for land and plans you still have 900M left which is only a bit less than the 73 story Wilshire Grand.

If they want to change to commercial space (for their entertainment operations, to be HQ'd in LA) they would need to talk to BH about changes. As a practical matter BH never allows anything above 12/13 stories, so its still hard to see how you spend the 900M.

·
Registered
425 Posts
well it mentions, something about an extension of century city, so im guessing they will want some zoning changes to build some 30 or 40 floor towers to house the offices for their entertainment companies, as well as some other buildings for condos.

·
Registered
18,088 Posts
well it mentions, something about an extension of century city, so im guessing they will want some zoning changes to build some 30 or 40 floor towers to house the offices for their entertainment companies, as well as some other buildings for condos.
The problem is CC is in Los Angeles; this is BH. I don't like to make rash statements, but the likelihood of BH allowing construction of anything of that order strikes me as remote.

Check Moreno Dr., about a block away: LA-side is 40 stories; BH side is 2 stories.

·
Registered
425 Posts
The problem is CC is in Los Angeles; this is BH. I don't like to make rash statements, but the likelihood of BH allowing construction of anything of that order strikes me as remote.

Check Moreno Dr., about a block away: LA-side is 40 stories; BH side is 2 stories.
true, but still wanda will look into it, thats what i think.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I agree with Pest'. Pretty much zero chance of Beverly Hills approving anything taller than 10-15 stories.

The only way I could ever see Century City expanding is if the LA Country Club decided to sell off the southern half of its property. But don't hold your breath on that one.

·
Registered
18,088 Posts
I agree with Pest'. Pretty much zero chance of Beverly Hills approving anything taller than 10-15 stories.

The only way I could ever see Century City expanding is if the LA Country Club decided to sell off the southern half of its property. But don't hold your breath on that one.
If CC "expands" it will have to be internally. There is room available for building either on vacant lots or by reconfiguring older properties. But CC has its own height opponents as well.

But you can't imagine that Wanda wasn't aware of the limitations before buying. That's what makes this interesting.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
If CC "expands" it will have to be internally. There is room available for building either on vacant lots or by reconfiguring older properties. But CC has its own height opponents as well.
I could see a push for that after the subway gets there. Reorienting Century City's built environment seems like a significantly less daunting task than fixing Tyson's Corner.

·
L O S A N G E L E S
6,590 Posts
I'd love to see a magnificent art-deco palace
at 10 to 15 and 900 mil, with solid gold floors!

(I'd really like to see an all out art-deco product!)

Make it fit in right here.

luxehotels.com​

·
Registered
18,088 Posts
One of my favorite examples of how Mission Style (even Churrigueresque) blends nicely with deco for mid to high rise buildings. Do you want an exact copy or just something similar?

Since they are Chinese they may prefer to do designs, engineering, sculptural elements, fine stone and metal work, colors, glazing, etc., in China and ship them here on Chinese boats. But that just gives them even more money to play with.

·
L O S A N G E L E S
6,590 Posts
WELCOME TO YET ANOTHER EDITION OF​
*P E S T O*​
MAN ABOUT TOWN
PESTO EXPLAINS YOUR WORLD TO YOU!
Yes, quite. I'll be brief:

When considering the style of the architecture for
any given project, one does not want to clash in
any obvious way, for fear of becoming a bloody
bore, or at the very least, outdated, or offensive.
This particular style does not care.

Churrigueresque, or Spanish Churrigueresco, is
a Spanish Rococo style in architecture, historically
a late Baroque return to the aesthetics of the earlier
Plateresque style.
In addition to a plethora of compressed ornament,
surfaces bristle with such devices as broken pediments,
undulating cornices, reversed volutes, balustrades,
stucco shells, and garlands.

Restraint was totally abandoned in a conscious effort
to overwhelm the spectator. Although the name of
the style comes from the family name of José Benito
Churriguera, an architect, the Churriguera family
members are not the most representative masters of the style.

In Spanish America tendencies from both the native
art of the Americas and the ever-present Mudéjar
(Moorish art) have been incorporated, further
enriching the style, and the Churrigueresque column,
which was shaped like an inverted cone, became
the most common motif. The Mexico cathedral (1718),
Santa Prisca at Taxco (1758), and San Martín at
San Luis Potosí (1764) are excellent examples of
Churrigueresque.

PESTO PREBYS FARNSWORTH III

QUESTIONS? COMMENTS?
I CAN BE REACHED AT
pestoknowsitall.com

·
L O S A N G E L E S
6,590 Posts
I just wanted to say that Art-Decorative,
Mission or "Churrigueresque" would probably
be the type of style people would want in
that particular city right about now.
For a change.

It will be interesting to see what they will
come up with and settle for.

·
Registered
18,088 Posts
WELCOME TO YET ANOTHER EDITION OF​
*P E S T O*​
MAN ABOUT TOWN
PESTO EXPLAINS YOUR WORLD TO YOU!
Yes, quite. I'll be brief:

QUOTE]

Nice summary. You might want to add that the density of the style makes it difficult to avoid a cluttered look, so it is best to do it in moderation or in small areas, contrasted with a less dense, but still eye-catching elements. You also might want to mention some LA examples....

·
Registered
18,088 Posts
I just wanted to say that Art-Decorative,
Mission or "Churrigueresque" would probably
be the type of style people would want in
that particular city right about now.
For a change.

It will be interesting to see what they will
come up with and settle for.
I doubt that even in BH Churrigueresque is a big topic at parties. More likely, movies and Iranian politics.

But the Wilshire/SM area has some very nice stuff and it will be interesting what changes the city permits.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts