SkyscraperCity banner

3341 - 3360 of 3486 Posts

·
License plate spotter
1,299 Posts
IMHO, restriping each one to two lanes will be inevitable.

Mike
Don't worry, there will be two marked lanes per tube right away, just with one blocked by light signals, like so:

Anyway, this is Switzerland and you're meant to use public transport (except, of course, when your fervent Green/leftist/whatever car traffic opponent gets stuck in the elevator -- in that case, the technician is supposed to be on the spot right away, driving and parking his service car!) :banana:

Reactions: Autobahn-mann

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
:blahblah: as if someone has to cross the Alps to repair an elevator.

Btw...
Using public transport has nothing to do with one's political attitude. The vast majority of Swiss people travel by car AND train. Only the most ignorant think that's against each other.

·
Lord Kelvin
12,824 Posts
:blahblah: as if someone has to cross the Alps to repair an elevator.

Btw...
Using public transport has nothing to do with one's political attitude. The vast majority of Swiss people travel by car AND train. Only the most ignorant think that's against each other.
Unless the Swiss have the power of bilocation like Christian saints, it's either one or the other.

·
Nonhyphenated-American
3,089 Posts
Well, some trips are more appropriately made by private automobile, others are better made by a 'common carrier' of some sort (ie, intercity train, airliner, tram, diesel or trolley bus, etc).

Mike

·
Lord Kelvin
12,824 Posts
Well, some trips are more appropriately made by private automobile, others are better made by a 'common carrier' of some sort (ie, intercity train, airliner, tram, diesel or trolley bus, etc).

Mike
In my opinion, if one owns a car, he's going to use it. Train is competitive only for rare long-distance high-speed trips (but they're usually more expensive) or for daily commute (but it's usually slower).

·
on the road
31,697 Posts

Mike
In my opinion, if one owns a car, he's going to use it. Train is competitive only for rare long-distance high-speed trips (but they're usually more expensive) or for daily commute (but it's usually slower).
park-and-ride is a thing

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
In my opinion, if one owns a car, he's going to use it.
Wrong. In Switzerland, and in many other countries, too.
And actually it is not a matter of opinion, these are facts.

However, rail transit has a modal share of approx. 17% in Switzerland, which is the highest in Europe but even so the car:train modal share is about 5:1.

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
So people is using both car and train at the same time?:eek:hno:
Of course not the same time. Please do not so as if you were a dumb kid, and not a Dr.

Since when I have a car, I try to use train as little as possible.
Many people think so. Other people don't. I myself have a car but I take a train quite oft, and I'm not alone by this behavior.
In Switzerland travelling by train is not something like a possibility for people who have no car. But of course there are many trips where rail services are not acceptable for example because you drive inside a village that has no train station at all :)

·
50,883 Posts
If I use my car to commute, I go all the way.
I normally commute by train because it's the fastest (and my employer pays for it). But if the train services are cut short due to construction, I do not use the shuttle bus, but go by car the entire way.

Public transport is only faster if the trip is almost station-to-station (as it is in my case), the travel time and convenience quickly becomes unfavorable once you need to transfer, especially to another mode such as the bus or a long bike ride.

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
^^P+R, i.e. changing mode inside a trip, may only be attractive in some special cases. If you live somewhere in a village where there is no attractive public transport (or there is no public transport at all) but you commute to a city center which is heavily congested and/or you have no possibility for parking. Usually its share is under 1%.

·
Lord Kelvin
12,824 Posts
Of course not the same time. Please do not so as if you were a dumb kid, and not a Dr.

Many people think so. Other people don't. I myself have a car but I take a train quite oft, and I'm not alone by this behavior.
In Switzerland travelling by train is not something like a possibility for people who have no car. But of course there are many trips where rail services are not acceptable for example because you drive inside a village that has no train station at all :)
I've said many times in the past, that I commute by bus+train, even though it's not faster than by car (and my employer does not pay for it, contrary to Chris' one). As I said, commuting is one of the few instance where train makes sense. The second one is big city to big city (high speed train), but it can easily be more expensive than by car, especially if you're not traveling alone.

For instance I would never, ever, ever go on vacation by train. Once you reach your destination (in double the time you would by going by car), you're basically stuck there: then there's luggage to carry to the hotel...

I cannot see myself taking a train car shuttle: I know it's a thing in Switzerland, but I think it's slower, more expensive and to me makes no sense.

But I understand I've gone too much off topic, sorry. I won't reply to any other posts on this matter.

·
Registered
7,450 Posts
Only for very specific places where you are not allowed to go by car (London, Milan). If I use my car to commute, I go all the way.
It depends. If in a certain city parking is very expensive and/or scarce, one may think to park the car in one spot and travel by PT around the city. In many central areas, PT is less expensive, faster, and less stressful to use than a private car.
I've driven to Pero or Cinisello Balsamo and took the metro into central Milan (to avoid eco tax, parking fees, etc...).
I (relatively regularly) drive to Marghera and take the bus to Venice (parking in Venice's multi storey garages is outrageously expensive).
I've taken buses from where I parked my car for free in Trieste and the place I had actually to go, especially if it was too rainy or windy to walk comfortably.

·
Registered
7,450 Posts
I cannot see myself taking a train car shuttle: I know it's a thing in Switzerland, but I think it's slower, more expensive and to me makes no sense.
Apart the Simplon pass, other car shuttles in Switzerland don't have road alternatives.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Apart the Simplon pass, other car shuttles in Switzerland don't have road alternatives.
Furka pass is an alternative to Furka Oberalp Railway but only in summer. I've been there this May and the pass was still closed. I had to take the car shuttle train. It was the first time I've taken a car shuttle train. It was a nice experience.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I have a fair few co-workers who commute to work by train even though they do own cars. I myself don't - see no point of this extra expense in Basel. Commuting with a car would win me about 10-15 minutes per direction on most days. Friday evenings could be -1 h, though...

·
50,883 Posts
A friend of mine reported that the 'Verzweigung Brig-Glis' of A9 is not signed with the motorway-motorway interchange symbol anymore.

This never was a true motorway-to-motorway interchange.

3341 - 3360 of 3486 Posts