SkyscraperCity banner

3461 - 3480 of 3485 Posts

·
Deadpan Snarker
8,129 Posts
Eh, ok, I was talking about the Alps.
If we're escalating, then here's a picture of sea-level glacier I took 3 years ago at Svalbard:

:D
Just don't escalate to the point we need to break into the international seed library that's up there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
That's not a "five-passes-tour" anymore.
Indeed. It's true we turned around at Gotthard and Oberalp, but we did have a stop at each of the passes (at least 30 minutes). Plus we went back using the old cobbled road just north of Gotthard, and of course passed by the Devil's Bridge. Add nice weather to it, and that's a day well spent.

·
Steve's Photo Gallery
7,197 Posts

·
50,865 Posts
It looks like an extension of T16.

It's a bit disappointing that it has a speed limit of only 60 km/h. This road is an Autostrasse (express road) that will accommodate through traffic, you'd expect at least an 80 km/h speed limit.

·
Steve's Photo Gallery
7,197 Posts
It's a bit disappointing that it has a speed limit of only 60 km/h. This road is an Autostrasse (express road) that will accommodate through traffic, you'd expect at least an 80 km/h speed limit.

Anschluss Engi bis Südportal Tunnel Engi60 km/h
Südportal Tunnel Engi bis Nordportal Tunnel Michelau80 km/h
Nordportal Tunnel Michelau bis Anschluss Neudietfurt60 km/h

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Eh, ok, I was talking about the Alps.
If we're escalating, then here's a picture of sea-level glacier I took 3 years ago at Svalbard:

:D
Just don't escalate to the point we need to break into the international seed library that's up there.
It is possible to go from Italy to Svartisen in Northern Norway using your own car, though. The glacier almost goes down to sea level as well. It has pulled back during the last 100 years but extended to 20 m altitude in 2007. Not sure about the lowest latitude today.

·
50,865 Posts

·
VIAJES IRACHE
9,079 Posts
Yes, they are just a little bit optimistic.

Here a video I made of A9 near Visp a few days ago when passing nearby by train.

The "works" of A9 near Visp on 5-7-2020. This motorway has been under construction for decades, but so slowly that changes on the worksites are unnoticeable without comparing photos. I have NEVER seen a single worker on this road.

Here is the location: Swiss Geoportal

Two weeks before that I traveled on the opened section nearby by car. At least in the Brig to Lausanne direction one can partly avoid passing through Visp. In the other direction the motorway is also open, but using it makes no sense as there isn't the necessary connecting ramp in that direction (that would become basically useless once, in -hopefully- 4 or 5 years, the nearby section opens). So to use the A9 from west to east you have to make a detour much slower than passing through the town, so basically nobody does it.

nice video

·
50,865 Posts
Schöllenenschlucht

The famous Schöllenen Gorge between Andermatt and Göschenen, right near the Gotthard Tunnel. The Reuss River plunges into the deeper valley from Andermatt. Main road H2 was built through here, it was the main transit route before the Gotthard Tunnel opened in 1980. There is much less traffic today, but it's a very scenic location. Most tourists here are on their way to one of the major passes.

Schöllenenschlucht 02
by European Roads, on Flickr

Schöllenenschlucht 04

Schöllenenschlucht 07

Schöllenenschlucht 08

·
50,865 Posts

·
License plate spotter
1,299 Posts
^^ Indeed google satellite still shows it as work in progress ...

·
7,617 Posts
A project to expand A2 from Lugano to Mendrisio has been presented. The third lane will be opened only during rush hour, AADT now is around 70.000. According to this article (Terza corsia sulla A2, scelta la variante), it consists of:
  • enlargment of the existing two 2-lane Collina d'Oro tunnels to 3 lanes, plus a third 2-lane tunnel for traffic from Lugano Sud junction to the north: Swiss Geoportal
  • a third San Salvatore tunnel, to be used first to divert motorway traffic during enlargment of the other two tunnels to 3 lanes, then for local traffic between the two sides of the mountain (which now has to make a detour around it): Swiss Geoportal (it is likely that the exit from the north to Melide will be moved before the tunnel, that is, this traffic flow will use the local tunnel in the future, and not the motorway tunnel as today)
  • a new 3+3 San Nicolao tunnel for A2, and conversion of one of the existing tunes for local traffic: Swiss Geoportal (the existing local road would be reserved to pedestrians and cyclists)
  • a new junction south of that tunnel, partly to replace the junction in Melide-Bissone (which now lies partly north, partly south and partly in the middle of the lake)
An older version of this project involved a third tube of the San Salvatore tunnel, but to finally have three 2-lane motorway tunnels of which two in the peak direction (with no local traffic tunnel), and a single new San Nicolao tunnel for northbound traffic, recicling one of the older tubes for southbound traffic (also in this case one of the two older tubes would have replaced the surface local road).

I doubt this will make any real improvement, as local roads are already at their limits and as much of the traffic there are commuters, many of them cross border commuters, going to a relatively limited number of destinations in a mountainous area. So it would be better to divert them on public transport. That traffic flow there is not composed of people from many origins going to many destinations in a flat area, which are more diffucult to move out of their cars, like it is elsewhere in Europe.

3461 - 3480 of 3485 Posts