Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

Unregistered User

Illinois Fighting Illini

College
4x Champion:
1914, 1919, 1923, 1927

Renovation at Memorial Stadium at the University of Illinois in Champaign, IL.

Cost $100 million

New capacity 65,143

I didnt see this in another thread, im sorry if it is

pre construction

render

construction photos

Registered
Is there a webcam there at the construction site.

Registered
excellent. another ugly US stadium renovation. Take a leaf our of Asia and Europes book. Built something attractive for once.

Registered
classy comment from the Aussie...

take a grammar lesson mate...

Banned
excellent. another ugly US stadium renovation. Take a leaf our of Asia and Europes book. Built something attractive for once.
It's a school, aaron. S - C - H - O - O - L. Doesn't have to be sparkling or glittery.

That's why they didn't hire you as their consultant. Opposing visions.

Registered
still do not understand why the college stadiums have such a high capacity

NFL stadiums look IMO bigger but have a lower capacity
just the larger seats at NFL stadiums?

Banned
still do not understand why the college stadiums have such a high capacity

NFL stadiums look IMO bigger but have a lower capacity
just the larger seats at NFL stadiums?
Oh, the College Games fill up to overflowing. Not that I go, but

#1 - the tickets are far, far cheaper than NFL Games; enabling whole familes to attend at maybe 1/3rd cost of similar nos. for an NFL Game.

(They keep NFL stadia sort of smallish so that they're easy to fill up; thereby freeing TV to broadcast the pro games; so making big bucks too w/ the telecasts which they can't if it's not a sold-out game. The NFL teams can also charge higher tix prices if there are less to go around. And they're just adding more & more suites because they're easier to administer rather selling a comparable # of individual tix.)

#2 - A lot of alumni still go back to their Univs. for important Games

#3 - the college stadiums are the main arenas for these smaller (100,000+) cities the colleges/univs. are located in. They get rented out for decent $$ for concerts.

Registered
But as a building most college stadiums do not look like a 100k or 80k stadium (smaller)
But on the other site many NFl satdiums do not lok like 60-70k stadium (IMO bigger)

Registered
But is the difference so big?

For example Ohia Stadiium.
A Ohio Stadium with individual seats would have a acapacity of ?
80k?

Banned
sercan, I don't know what to tell you. Smaller people at the college stadia? The bigger, fatter Americans at the NFL Games?

I mean I know those bigger, older folks won't be able to climb those steep stands at places like the Aggie Stadium in College Station, Texas.

Registered
maybe:lol:
Still a mystery to me :D

Registered
It'd be interesting to see a scaled comparison. I remember coming across a site once with scaled pictures for comparison and some stadiums were on it. Not sure about college ones. I remember the Westfalen being dwarfed by Allianze Arena.

This is probably what gives Dortmund their famous atmosphere. I'd be fairly certain the same thing would been seen with College vs NFL for 'supporter density' vs atmosphere. A strong correlation no doubt.

Registered
i'm not going to defend my grammar.

any comments on the stadium or are you just going to rubbish nationalities?
Dude,

this is a university stadium renovation. Show me a university in Europe or Asia that even has such a stadium. (and there are literally hundreds of such stadia in the US), let alone one of superior design.

You were the one that brought nationality into the thread, that's why I commented in the first place.

Top Gear is back!
Interesting. I always thought the college stadiums were huge. This to me looks massive.

Different views I suppose.

As for going from bleachers to fully seated, does anyone have an example? I thought Soldier Field did so, but it was hard to find some numbers. I'll look around.

Unregistered User
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
it all has to do with how much space is allowed in a "seat" on the bleachers. If they made individual chairback seats that were the same size as a bleacher seat they would be very small. Thats probably why the capacities are so high at college, whereas in the NFL you have these nice large seats that take up more room.

Registered
I'm not a big fan of the new endzone seating, having seen it in person. It seems like it's set up a little too high and set back a little too far from the field to mesh as well as it should with the rest of the stadium. They could've made it a lot more intimidating.

As for size, well I guess you just have to see them in person to get a true idea of how big they are. College football is all about tradition, and the stadiums are part of that. Rarely will you find a college stadium that's renovated without keeping in tact most of the original. Even Notre Dame, who they expanded from 60,000 to 80,000 a little over ten years ago, didn't tear down the original outside, they just built a completely new second structure surrounding it.

Registered
I think the design of the tiers may have a larger impact on the perceived size of these stadiums. In the NFL stadiums, they tend to have smaller tiers but more of them, creating a much more vertical visual effect. For simplicity, most college stadiums use fewer and larger tiers.

For example at Royal Memorial Stadium (College - Texas Longhorns) in Austin, the lower bowl has 75 rows and depending on which section of the upper deck, it can have up to 55 rows there. At Reliant Stadium (NFL - Houston Texans) in Houston with, they have 36, 16, 27 rows in their respective tiers (going from field level up and not counting the luxury suites). This matches when you compare the total number of rows (130 vs 79) to capactiy (92k this year vs. 69k), not to mention Royal-Memorial has seating on 3 sides while Reliant is a complete 4 sided stadium.

Royal-Memorial

Reliant Stadium

In addition, you san see Reliant's steeper angle of seating. I do think seating spacing (bleachers vs. seatbacks) have an effect, but it's smaller. It's this vertical stacking layout and its greater heights that I believe make the professional stadiums seem larger in pictures. When you're there in person, you can definitely feel the difference of having those additional fans.

Registered
But is the difference so big?

For example Ohia Stadiium.
A Ohio Stadium with individual seats would have a acapacity of ?
80k?
I remmeber the last time this came up the figure mentioend quite often was 3 fans of benchs would take up the space of 2 modern seats, what that came though though I'm not sure.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts