SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 233 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anger at proposals to demolish Gateshead estate
August 29th 2010 by Sara Nichol, Sunday Sun

THESE sepia-tinted memories are all families will have of their doomed homes if town hall bulldozers move in.

The snaps show street party celebrations to mark Prince Charles and Diana’s wedding and the Queen’s Jubilee.

They belong to the daughter of one of the estate’s longest-serving residents.

But now hundreds of families and elderly folk face being re-housed over the next three years as the demolition plans take shape to flatten the Chandless Estate on the south banks of the Tyne in Gateshead.

The move has met with fury from many families in the close-knit community who have nearly half a century of memories of the 1960s development.

Almost 100 people signed a petition to save the estate, which is close to Gateshead town centre and the planned Tesco development in Trinity Square.

Ena Wilson, 72, has lived on the estate for 48 years, first with her parents and now with husband James, 71, and son David, 33.

The mum-of-two said: “The estate holds some great memories. We used to have trips to Blackpool in the summer with the kids, which the residents organised.

“There was a brilliant community spirit - everyone looked out for each other and everyone was friends.

“Many of us still do look out for each other and give each other house keys when we go on holiday.

“The residents all trust each other and that takes a long time to build-up. It will take a while to build-up when we are moved somewhere else.

“I remember the Queen’s Jubilee, that was a great day. We all got together to organise a party on the street. The kids played games, there was music playing, tables and chairs, Union Jack flags, banners and hats and food and drinks.

“We had another party for Prince Charles and Diane’s wedding. Again, everyone on the estate got together to celebrate.

“It’s so sad the council are knocking the estate down - it’s like breaking-up a family. Some of us have been together for more than 40 years. Although we’re not related, it feels like we are and that we’re getting split-up.

“A lot of the memories and community spirit will disappear when the estate goes.

“We don’t want to move. We want the council to carry out some refurbishment. We’re in an ideal location for our age - really central and next to the Metro and buses.”

A group has also been set-up on social networking site Facebook, where members are coming together and sharing memories and photographs.

Sharon Whitelaw, 37, Mrs Wilson’s daughter, added: “The photos are great. There are some great memories I have from there as a kid.

“I moved out when I was 21 but I have some very fond memories of the place and I know my parents love living there.”

David Fawcett, 62, who has lived on the estate for 16 years, said: “If we have to move, many of the tenants, including myself, wish to stay in the area.

“But council property within a one mile-radius of the town centre is at a premium and only two to three properties a week usually become available.

FULL ARTICLE HERE - http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/news/nor...-to-demolish-gateshead-estate-79310-27157429/

·
Part Time Contributor
43,330 Posts
Demolition of Crowhall Lane ( Balmoral Drive) Flats, Felling 1987
Now that I have found method to attach photographs thought you may like to see these pictures taken by myself on a Sunday in Mid 1987 using film, from a vantage point on Split Crow Road.

Next Possible "demolition using explosives" in Gateshead MAY be the high rise blocks of Chandless Estate ( close the Gateshead Highway flyover) but they are having to be careful due to close proximity of metro tunnel.

Great set of shots and yes, about time we had a building being demolished by explosives to photograph.

From what I've heard the fly over is also destined to be flattened - now that would make a good series of shots :)

·
Registered
20,830 Posts
Yes I've seen some artists impressions but I cannot remember where?

However found this @ http://www.gateshead.gov.uk/DocumentLibrary/Building/regeneration/2FitforaCity-ExecutiveSummary.pdf

The City Boulevard – The phased removal of the upper deck of Gateshead Highway and the remodelling of the surface highway and surrounding area to create a boulevard which will ‘stitch’ the city back together with a new, business address on the south side on the River Tyne.

Gateshead Boulevard

See "Fit for a City" document from Gateshead Council

http://www.gateshead.gov.uk/DocumentLibrary/Building/regeneration/FitForACity.pdf

in particular pages from 68 which describe, show sketches

The remainder of the document showing all other "proposed areas" within the centre of Gateshead

KEN

·
Registered
20,830 Posts
High Rise Flats in central area of Gateshead - Chandless Estate ( Abbot, Monk and St Mary's Courts & associated maisonnettes etc)

As there seem to be no photographs on the forum here are a few taken 02/11/11 together with a little information that I have acquired over the years

Chandless Estate MSF's ( Abbot, Monk and St Mary's Courts ) Gateshead - owned by Gateshead Council ( + others in taken up by "Right to Buy" ), managed by the Gateshead Housing Company (tGHC)

Originally built early 1960's by either Wimpeys or Stanley Miller Ltd and according to tGHC website at 03/11/11:-

"Abbot/ Monk/ St Mary's Court is a multi-storey block of bedsits, one and two-bed flats with a concierge on the Chandless estate.

This block tends to have high availability."

St Mary's Court is situated to the west of the Gateshead Highway and had a cladding system applied to it some years ago ( hence its different external appearance to the others) and is accessible from road network from High St.

The other blocks ( Abbot & Monk Courts) are to the east of the "Flyover" and are accessed via the Felling By-Pass or from Sunderland Rd

ALL 3 Blocks are scheduled for demolition within the next 5 years along with adjacent two and three-bed maisonettes and one-bed bungalows

Typical maisonnette blocks (located both sides of Gateshead Highway)

KEN

·
Registered
20,830 Posts
St Mary's Court, Gateshead - submission of Planning Application for Demolition

As awaited the following documentation has been submitted concerning the demolition of St Mary's Court, Gateshead (location beween High St and Gateshead Highway)

http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/onli...iveTab=externalDocuments&keyVal=LXZUV1HK08J00

This block has been covered before on this forum and is part of the overall plan to demolish the Chandless Estate, either side of the Gateshead Highway, commencing with some of the maisonnette & flats blocks to west of "The Flyover" followed by this block

This has been covered earlier in this thread, page 2 post #37 date 03/11/11

KEN

·
Registered
20,830 Posts
Chandless Estate, Gateshead - demolition , as at 15/02/12

Work has been progressing by Thompsons of Prudhoe in recent weeks on the part of this estate located between High Street and the Gateshead Highway

Here are some photographs taken by myself approx 1200 on 15/02/12 (hosted on Photobucket) showing state of works at that time

Gone already are some of the blocks of garages and the Communal Lounge building (topsoiled over already) as well as some of the maisonnette blocks in the vicinity of the roundabout at Gateshead end of Felling By-Pass (Park Road), wast of the "Flyover"

Also seems that advance works are being carried out to the lift installation within St Mary's Court, the first of the 3 multi storey blocks scheduled for demolition - Stannah vans in attendance along with Sitex Orbis who provide the security screening etc

KEN

NH - think an individual thread required for this, as project planned to last about 3 years and will be lots of opportunities for progress photos etc

·
Registered
20,830 Posts
Gateshead Council – Decision Register for Planning Applications dated 20/02/12

The Planning Decision Register dated 20 February 2012 has just been posted on the Council Website page :-

http://www.gateshead.gov.uk/DocumentLibrary/Building/Strategies/decisions/Decision-List-20-2-12.pdf

Some of the “projects” (other than those for domestic house extensions, provision of signs , tree removals and “small projects” etc ) have already had a mention on this forum in recent days, as follows

Birtley Northside Housing

Demolition of St Mary’s Court ( Chandless Estate)

Whickham Council Offices conversion to Pub

Business Park to Children's Nursery ( 3acre Park)

Tesco Express at 26 St Marys Green, Whickham,

There may be other items within the pages that others may find of interest, so take a view

KEN

·
Registered
20,830 Posts
Chandless Estate, Gateshead - demolition of Hilda House

Appeared on Gateshead Council planning portal on 13/08/12

DC/12/00820/DEM

DETERMINATION OF PRIOR APPROVAL:

Demolition of Hilda House.

Hilda House St Bedes Drive Gateshead NE8 1SA

http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/onli...iveTab=externalDocuments&keyVal=M7LZDYHK08J00

This screen print of one of planning drawings

The following photographs of Hilda House ( St Mary's Court in background) taken by myself 13/08/12 approx 1815

Images hosted on Photobucket

KEN

NH - now that tenders have been returned on 3 multi storey blocks think its now time to create a separate Chandless Estate Demolition thread (have been previous postings on this thread)

·
Super Moderator
22,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NH - now that tenders have been returned on 3 multi storey blocks think its now time to create a separate Chandless Estate Demolition thread (have been previous postings on this thread)

There are precedents, Spillers, Derwent Tower, Tyne Tees TV, Cruddas Park, TBT, etc.

It is particularly useful to have an individual thread in place for when the eventual re-building takes place on the site - whatever it might be.

Are there any plans for the site, post-demolition?

·
Registered
20,830 Posts
There are precedents, Spillers, Derwent Tower, Tyne Tees TV, Cruddas Park, TBT, etc.

It is particularly useful to have an individual thread in place for when the eventual re-building takes place on the site - whatever it might be.

Are there any plans for the site, post-demolition?

Demolition of estate initially covered on here in page 6 post 101

The area is part of GMBC redevelopment of Town Centre with new new build housing ( along with selected boroughwide developer ) etc as covered in other Gateshead area posts including recent post 712

The demolition I am led to believe is to be carried out in phases , up to 3 year duration

As for the Dunston Rocket lots of photo opportunities

KEN

·
Super Moderator
22,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
(1) Ken O'Heed,

Chandless Estate Project Thread set up, as requested.

Can you check please to see if I have included all relevant posts in here, from the 'Developments Thread' and/or from any other thread?

(2) Steve Ellwood

To note, for 'Development Summary' purposes.

Thanks,
NH.

·
Registered
20,830 Posts
(1) Ken O'Heed,

Chandless Estate Project Thread set up, as requested.

Can you check please to see if I have included all relevant posts in here, from the 'Developments Thread' and/or from any other thread?

Thanks,
NH.
Missing posts from other thread:-

From "Gateshead" thread, post #286 concerning demolition of adjacent Gateshead Highway (The Flyover) which splits the estate in two and with link to "Fit for a City" development plans for town centre etc

From "High Rise of Tyneside" thread, post #37 showing my photos and info of estate multi blocks

Thanks for creating the new thread

KEN

·
Super Moderator
22,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Missing posts from other thread:-

From "Gateshead" thread, post #286 concerning demolition of adjacent Gateshead Highway (The Flyover) which splits the estate in two and with link to "Fit for a City" development plans for town centre etc

From "High Rise of Tyneside" thread, post #37 showing my photos and info of estate multi blocks

Thanks for creating the new thread

KEN

Both of the above posts (while remaining on their original threads) are now also included within this thread.

·
Registered
20,830 Posts
Chandless Estate Demoltion - the 3 main blocks to go

This is screen print from Google Maps showing estate both sides of Gateshead Highway

These pictures by myself from different view points

KEN

·
Registered
20,830 Posts
Chandless Estate Demoltion - the estate mid 2012

Have the maisonettes been demolished then, or just the shops?

KEN
Welcome to the Forum

This is screen print dated 21/09/12 from Google Maps (latest version) showing estate both sides of Gateshead Highway - hosted on Photobucket

Some maisonette blocks were demolished earlier this year along with the Communal Lounge and garage units - all to the west of the Flyover, shown where the brown topsoil areas are (south of "Charles St") in the above picture. (covered on post #6 above)

The primary school, shop etc to east of Flyover were demolished and areas grassed over in recent years

The tender for the main demolition has been returned and work is expected to start in next few months with St Marys Court ( block to east of Flyover) to be first of the 3 main blocks to go

Hilda House (covered in recent post) is the building immediately south of St Marys Court

The blocks north west of roundabout at end of Park Lane/Charles St ( Priory, Peareth and Park Courts) are NOT part of this demolition contract)

KEN

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks, Ken. That's quite recent for Google maps.

I'm gutted they're flattening all of this. I used to live in Cathedral Court and it was the best place I've ever lived, apart from the trouble I had with neighbors in a block opposite, apparently they were a big family, thought they owned the place. Lovely inside, though and it was a great location, not far from the centre.

Glad they're keeping the north west blocks, I liked those.

But with this and the Trinity Square redevelopment, they've ruined the town centre and a lot of good memories for me. *Cries*

KEN

·
Registered
20,830 Posts
Chandless Estate Demolition - Contractor for scheme

No need now to keep quiet on who was the successful tenderer on scheme

These iffy pictures by mobile phone of signs to St Mary's Court taken 10/12/12 approx 1400 give the game away that it is Thompson of Prudhoe

(images hosted on Photobucket)

KEN

·
Registered
20,830 Posts
Project Chronicles Chandless Lives

This extract from Gateshead Council website 18/01/13:-

A pair of local artists are helping to celebrate the history of a housing estate in Central Gateshead before it disappears forever.

Photographer Sharon Bailey and artist Robert Soden are capturing some of the personal memories and stories of the people who have lived on the Chandless Estate, which was built in the 1960’s to replace much older terraces that had been cleared a decade before. The estate is itself now being demolished ahead of redevelopment.

The majority of the Chandless’ tenants have already been re-housed or in the process of finding new homes, but before the estate disappears for good, an arts project called Chandless Lives is seeking to capture in words and pictures what living on the Chandless Estate has meant to local people.

Over the past six months, photographer Sharon Bailey has begun capturing individual stories and portraits through images and text, often using old maps, history and personal items in her images. At the same time, painter Robert Soden has been capturing views of the estate, some of them from the upper floors of the Chandless’ two huge blocks of flats.

Full article on http://www.gateshead.gov.uk/Council...icles/Project-Chronicles-Chandless-Lives.aspx

Seems nothing happening yet regards demolition - investigations in progress including "possible effect on metro tunnels" that are in immediate vicinity of the St Mary's Court block

This screen print of Google Maps (hosted on Photobucket) showing position of metro vent shaft between north east corner of block and west of the "Flyover"

KEN

·
Registered
20,830 Posts
Project Chronicles Chandless Lives - NCJ article 23/01/13

Following last post above

A pair of local artists are helping to celebrate the history of a housing estate in Central Gateshead before it disappears forever.

These 4 scanned copies from article over 2 pages of Newcastle Evening Chronicle of 23/01/13:-

MEMORIES

KEN

1 - 20 of 233 Posts