Skyscraper City Forum banner
41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
In 2018 many metro systems opened in China, Changchun is one of them, and by opening this China became the 8th city which has both tram and metro. Although previously the light rail system opened, but finally thankfully they understood that for such a big city, light rail could not fulfill the daily passenger pressure, so finally they build the metro system.

Currently it has only one line, i.e. - line 1. I will not count line 3 & 4 metro lines, because they are basically light rail with narrow rolling stocks and so low capacity. There is a confusion arises after seeing official website and Wikipedia, but the metro line is only line 1. In near future, another metro line, line 2 will be opened, and then the urban rail transportation will be very strong in Changchun like Hong-Kong – with all 4 types of rail transport – tram, light-rail, metro & suburban train.

Line 2 will start commercial operation at my birthday, i.e. - 1st September.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Changchun has many similarities with my city Kolkata, and obviously the metro system. Both cities have one line metro network, and another line under construction. Although the main difference is that Kolkata metro uses 3rd rail, and Changchun metro uses overhead rail.

So, for more development, and taking suggestion, I am asking these questions –

1) Is there any system for baggage checking when entering in the station area or platform area?

2) Is drinking water available in station area?

3) Are there any display board in platform about next train? If yes, what kind of it—dot matrix or LED?

4) Do they play light music in background at station platforms?

5) Do all stations have side platforms? Or some has island platforms or both side platforms?

6) Is there any special seats for children, ladies, senior citizens and handicapped persons in both platform and inside the metro cars?

7) Is there any entertainment television in platforms?

8) Is photography allowed inside station premises?

9) What kind of fare it is used for, single, return and multiple journey tickets?

10) Do they have all day ticket system i.e. unlimited journey on any metro routes for a day?

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
The tramway network of Changchun is one of the old remaining tram in China. Like Dalian, Changchun’s Japanese/Russian influence has endowed the city with a first generation tram system. The 2-line (12.6km) network is essentially a single line with a
5km branch, operating from 0600-1950 and, although the system is a far cry from the heyday of the 1950s when a 7-line/50km system operated across the city, the trams are well used and
serve the western part of the city adequately. Halts are pretty basic and schedules don’t seem to exist - there are big time gaps followed by a bunching of 2 or 3 trams. Modern stock is used in the main although occasional heritage trams can still be seen (adorned with flowers). This is a nice little addition to Changchun’s rail coverage.

The tram routes are mostly on reserved track. Previously just simply on the ground, now better on sleeper and ballast like railway style. On old photos, I saw the tracks were not well maintained, was not smooth, like the former overhead wire, which was not tightly strung, rolling stocks were also old, wooden, high floor with bow collector. That offered a slow, noisy and bumpy ride, and also non-respected to citizens. I saw some mini trucks parked just the side of tram tracks for delivering goods. All was almost same with my city Kolkata, where road-side tram tracks are not being respected.

Thankfully, this scene changed at bit. New, low floor, steel made rollings stocks with bow pantograph arrived some years ago, tracks and wires were completely upgraded, highly maintained, smooth, wires are now tightly strung, for a high speed service. Although the situation is better than before, but still people take it casually, like some roadside restaurants are cooking in such a way that vapour affects tram. This is not good. I hope tram company should look this.

I wrote before that once there was a 50 Km. Network with 7 routes, of which only one remained, and recently another route opened. Could anyone say about some details of the former tram routes, with closed lines details route by route with an English map?

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Changchun has many similarities with my city Kolkata, and obviously the tram system. Both cities are running tram network continuously, fighting with threat closure. Although the main difference is that Kolkata tram still uses trolley-pole, and still the network is large, and Changchun tram uses panto-graph, and the network is now very small.

So, for more development, and taking suggestion, I am asking these questions –

1) Is there any tram conductor inside tramcars for ticketing? Or tickets should be bought before boarding the tram from tram stations?

2) What kind of ticket they used in tram—simple paper ticket or electronic card?

3) Are other motor vehicles allowed on tram track?

4) Are all stops as tram stations ? Or there are some single unreserved street surface stops?

5) Does the entire route is middle of the road ? Or sometimes on left or right side?

6) Is there any marked seats for children, ladies, senior citizens and handicapped persons inside the tram cars ?

7) Is there any system for monthly tickets and one day unlimited travel tickets ?

8) What are the fares for a single journey?

9) Is there any plan to extend the tram line? If yes, please write some details.

10) Is there any official website about Changchun tram (especially in English)?

·
Leudimin
No 41, not good
9,032 Posts
There is silence in Ditiezu about line 2 opening, so it may not be opening this month. The only news about that line there is that the Western extension past Xihu is now U/C.
Fixed link. I've seen that line as both line 8 and Beihu line, I wonder what they will use in the end. I remember in Wuhan what was known as line 21 during construction ended up opening as the Yangluo line (however since I'm 'numberist' I still refer to it as line 21).

·
Leudimin
No 41, not good
9,032 Posts
Okay, the 3rd phase is now approved, and no significant cuts have been done. The following lines and extensions will be added to Changchun subway in the next few years:
1. Eastern extension of line 2, Dongfang Guangchang to Zhaojiagang Dong, 8.2 km, 5 stations. Line 2 is opening at the end of September, exact date TBC.
2. Southern extension of line 3, Chang[chun] Ying Shijicheng to Changchung Wushijiu Zhong[xue], 3.3 km, 2 stations. I won't be surprised if they start this at Huaxuechang in order to remove the at-grade crossing and thus finally making this a full, albeit light, metro line (The existing line from Changchun station to Weixing Guangchang is being upgraded as of now)
3. Southern extension of line 4, Chechang to Zhaojiatun, 7 km, 8 stations
4. 1st phase of line 5, Xinan Shuniu to Dongdaqiao, 20.5 km, 18 stations
5. Line 6, Shuangfeng to Chang[chun] Ying Shijicheng, 29.8 km, 22 stations
6. 1st phase of line 7, Qiche Gongyuan to Donghuancheng Lu, 23.7 km, 19 stations
7. 1st phase of line S1 (a.k.a. Konggang, or Airport, line), Zhaojiagang Dong to Zhongchuan Beijie, 33.6 km, 11 stations, also serving Jiutai district beyond Longjia airport.
8. 1st phase of line S2 (a.k.a. Shuangyan line), Changchun Wushijiu Zhong[xue] to Sheling, 11 km, 3 stations

·
Leudimin
No 41, not good
9,032 Posts
Well, this caught me. The opening was confirmed with very short notice, and thus I thought it would open a month later. Anyway, line 2 has been opened from Shuangfeng to Dongfang Guangchang, with Xihu moved to the Western extension that started construction recently, thus running over 21.2 km with 18 stations. There are no direct transfers to line 3 (which is being grade separated in that section) or line 4 (as it runs elevated while line 2 is underground), only to line 1 at Jiefang Dadao. Changchun Subway is now at 84 km in length (also includes sections in open air :D), of which 53 are full metro (i.e. fully grade-separated, as line 4 is a light metro line) and 31 are light rail.

41 - 60 of 88 Posts