Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
23,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First i am hearing that ALL political parties support this?? Why would they support losing King Shaka and the tradeport as a rates base to Illembe?? Only a few months back people were dead against it.

Ethekwini boundaries reviewed
August 15 2012 at 05:03pm

INLSA

Durban - The eThekwini municipality's boundaries were being reviewed, the Municipal Demarcation Board (MDB) said on Wednesday.

“Currently there are about nine major boundary change proposals that affect eThekwini northern and southern boundaries,” MDB chairman Landiwe Mahlangu said.

This was discussed at a meeting between the MDB and the eThekwini municipality on Friday.

Mahlangu said demarcation was intended to “normalise” how South African societies were structured.

“The proposal seeks to move King Shaka International Airport from eThekwini to Kwadukuza municipality,” Mahlangu said of the change affecting the northern boundary.

All political parties in the council supported this, he said.

“Also important is this municipality's willingness to work with the Ilembe district municipality to try to reach consensus around specific proposals, including the King's Gate development area,” Mahlangu said.

The board's processes would involve testing public opinion on the proposals, possibly conducting studies, and holding formal public hearings.

“It is envisaged that the process will only be completed in 2013,” Mahlangu said. - Sapa

·
23,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats why i was skeptical on the article. I do not understand how the ANC council or DA that were both against it before would now support it. The words of "support from all parties" come from the guy leading the re-demarcation process... so hardly an objective voice.

·
23,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
More clarity here. The City is completely against this. The proposal is being pushed by the Ilembe municipality to boost their rates base!!!

To be honest i am shocked it has got this far.

FRIDAY NOV 16, 2012
Proposed eThekwini municipal boundary changes up for comment

The public can now make submissions to the Municipal Demarcation Board on the controversial proposal for the eThekwini municipality to cede a large chunk of land on its northern boundary, including King Shaka International Airport, to the KwaDukuza municipality.

The official public comment period is now open for affected and interested parties including local communities, business and municipalities.

There are 202 proposed changes to municipal boundaries across the country.

The board published doubleadverts in newspapers yesterday, which showed that in KwaZulu-Natal there were 48 proposed municipal boundary changes. Besides the application by the iLembe district municipality for KwaDukuza to gain control of four of eThekwini's northern wards, the board is also considering a proposal for the uMgungundlovu district to be recategorised as a new metro encompassing Pietermaritzburg.

Landiwe Mahlangu, chairman of the board, stressed that publishing the proposed changes did not mean a final decision had been taken. "These proposals must pass the legitimacy and public opinion test as well as all relevant legal requirements," he said. "As required by law, stakeholders will now be allowed at least 21 days to provide written submissions to the Municipal Demarcation Board... Even though not obligated to do so, after the 21 days we might hold public meetings, conduct formal investigations or do both so as to satisfy ourselves about the type of decision that will have to be made."

After public representations and consultation, the board will make a decision by March 31 next year and the public will then have 30 days to make any objections.

According to the board's time frames, the boundary changes are planned to be finalised before the 2014 national and provincial elections.

The eThekwini municipality said it was "vehemently against" ceding wards 58, 60, 61 and 62, which include Tongaat and Verulam, to the iLembe/ KwaDukuza municipalities. ILembe made the application. It hopes to boost the rates base of its KwaDukuza municipality by securing the prime development node around the airport and Dube TradePort.

The Mercury

·
23,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the Durban council have pumped millions into these areas and millions into planning for the future development of them. Why should they just hand them over to the poorer cousin neighbour??

·
BOFH Extraordinaire
3,891 Posts
They shouldn't in my opinion. Things like King Shaka need to stay with the city they're built to serve.

Ilembe in my opinion needs to start bracing itself for inclusion into eThekwini in the coming decades, because that is where the city is expanding towards.

·
23,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sanity prevails!!

No boundary changes

THE good news for eThekwini, is that the four wards that Ilembe wanted to 'pinch' from it (wards 58, 60, 61 and 62) are to remain in the city.

11 April 2013

This means that no further boundary changes will be considered until after the 2016 local government elections. "One understands that other municipalities want to increase their rates base, but to take the international airport from Durban and give it to Ballito, would have set back tourism in KZN a few decades," said Cllr Geoff Pullan.

"The DA is particularly pleased that all eThekwini political parties were united in their desire to keep Tongaat, Hambanathi, Verulam, Waterloo and eMdloti in the city. We would also like to thank the civic and ratepayer organisations of these various areas, who made representations to the Demarcations Board."

The 300 000 people living in this area are beginning to enjoy the benefits of the development of King Shaka Airport and the Dube TradePort. Both eThekwini and Ilembe will enjoy the planned development of the Durban/Richards Bay corridor.

http://www.looklocal.co.za/lookloca...863&sn=Detail&pid=4581474&No-boundary-changes

·
Registered
13,357 Posts
ok. it's my day off and had an herbal lunch with a friend :nuts: which resulted in me posting in the wrong thread.. see the SA thread in for these updates :cripes:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts