Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Complex Equation
6,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Providing connectivity to the 4 holy shrines of Uttarakhand with an all weather road.

Target of completion - Mar'20

Project overview

• 2 lanes
  • All weather road
  • Paved shoulders on both sides

1) Rishikesh - Rudraprayag (NH58) - 140km - INR 2166 cr
2) Rudraprayag - Mana (Badrinath) (NH58) - 160km - INR 1542 cr
3) Rishikesh - Dharasu (NH94) - 144km - INR 1628 cr
4) Dharasu - Gangotri (NH108) - 124km - INR 2079 cr
5) Dharasu - Yamunotri (NH94) - 95km - INR 1920 cr
6) Rudraprayag - Gaurikund (NH109) - 76km - INR 1106 cr
7) Tanakpur - Pithoragarh (NH125) - 150km - INR 1557 cr

·
Registered
975 Posts
One of the Chardham roads in July 2012:

The roads in October 2017 (construction on-going, many portions still lack safety barriers and temporary stop for view and photography / allow-faster-traffic-to-pass pads)

Still a long way to go when compared to road design in use in Switzerland for similar landslide-prone roads as such through Susten pass:

See the tunnel followed by an open-view concrete cover in this video of the Susten pass (Wassen -> Meiringen, CH):

·
Complex Equation
6,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One of the Chardham roads in July 2012:
from what I know, crash barriers will be all along the route. but true, we are nowhere near european countries when it comes to road design. :eek:hnoL

Reactions: abarag08

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Unfair to say so. A great deal of the Himalaya range is just rubble pushed up by geological forces. It just crumbles away.. This is the tallest , crumbliest mountain range in the world

Steel crash barriers will provide little resistance against an impact, unless the pillars are some kind of A frame trusses built deep in the foundation of the road

Those concrete crash barriers are not bad -they are dead weight which will stop a vehicle

·
Registered
882 Posts
Yeah that's true though. I myself was so excited about this project and ssc is my knowledge center. No updates here means project is dead for me. But then i looked up YouTube and it's filled with videos.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Char Dham road widening may get delayed by 2-3 years

NEW DELHI: The government's flagship Char Dham highway development project may get delayed by 2-3 years. More than three years after the project was launched, nearly 31% of the road network is either stuck or is yet to be bid out because of pending forest and environmental clearances.

The project to expand nearly 890 km of highway connecting Badrinath, Kedarnath, Gangotri and Yamunotri to two-and-a-half lanes was launched in December 2016 with December 2020 as the deadline. The project aims to provide all-weather connectivity to these pilgrimage centres.

Till now, only 250 km of the highway has been completed and the total progress is about 40%. Officials said while 13 out of 53 civil contract packages totalling 153 km are yet to be bid out, work has almost stopped on another five packages with a length of 122 km.

Sources said highways minister Nitin Gadkari took a review meeting recently where all issues were flagged. They added the main cause of concern was the pending reports of a Supreme Court appointed high powered committee (HPC) which was mandated to submit its report by December.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Work on all-weather road in U''khand should be finished before Kumbh: Gen VK Singh

Dehradun, Feb 20 (PTI) Union Minister of State for Road Transport Gen (retd) VK Singh on Thursday asked officials to complete the chardham all-weather road project in Uttarakhand before the Kumbh fair to be held in Haridwar early next year.

Speedy completion of works related to the project will increase the convenience of chardham pilgrims, Singh said after undertaking an aerial survey of Chinyalisaur, Dharasu, Jankichatti, Badkot and Gangotri in Bhairav Ghati. Singh was accompanied by Uttarakhand Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat.

After reviewing the progress of the Rs 12,000-crore project launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, the Union minister held a meeting with BRO, NHAI and NHIDCL officials at Matli .

They were also briefed by officials about a tunnel being built at Silkyara as part of the project.

Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat said a high power committee has submitted its final report to the government on the project.

"We will act on the report so that stalled works related to the project could be resumed and completed," the chief minister said.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts