SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
MP
9,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Summer 2010, I visited Charleroi, a city in Wallonia (southern Belgium) with 200.000 inhabitants. In Holland ( in Belgium as well) the city is notorious for its high unemployment, bankrupt industry and pollution. Although these things are true (unemployment rate is about 25%) Charleroi is not as unpleasant as most people seem to believe. In fact, the inner city is rather charming and even the industrial zone just outside the city centre has its own, menacing beauty.

I will first show the pics I took in the city centre, then those token in the industrial area and the suburb Marchienne-au-Pont.

Charleroi has a lower town and an upper town, the former being the commercial centre, the latter the political centre. Both towns are connected by a steep shopping street, the Rue de la Montagne.

The Belfry of Charleroy is UNESCO World Heritage.

After a drink in a beerpub, my friend and I entered the industrial zone, right next to the centre.

A last view of the upper town of Charleroi.

In the middle of all this we discovered a tube station. There was no pavement leading to it, the escalators did no longer work and there were weeds growing everywhere, but it was in use.

We took the tube to Marchienne-au-Pont, a suburb with some interesting old buildings.

The industrial zone was, again, next to the town centre.

Back in the city centre!

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
11,003 Posts
Beautifull pics :D
Some parts of city center are ok...
But suburbs like Dampremy en Boucheterre look like a third world country...

·
Registered
66 Posts
New pictures of Charleroi. A dream come true. The forgotten city of Belgium. No one wants to come from there. Even students in LLN or Liège can`t say a positive thing about Charleroi.
Scary place. Like it!
Centre looks like Verviers. THe suburbs outside the centre don`t look special. They could also be suburbs of Liège. Charleroi has some nice elevated roads around the centre. Also the premetro is worth a ride. Few people take it and I still don`t know where to buy tickets^^
I always thougnt CHarleroi was a big, bustling, ugly but liveable city like Liège but it feels very different.
Would like to live in CHarleroi a year, only to see how it is.Too bad it`s so hard to get work there.

·
Bike It!
22,248 Posts
Very nice of you to show the world the good thinks of this city. But one think you can't capture in pictures, and that's the sympathy of the people.
I just visited the city once and I liked it. Both the city and the people.
Of course there's a lot of decline, mostly in the suburbs and the industrial areas. But there's also a lot of beauty to discover.
And than there's the famous pre-metro system, which allow you to take a surrealistic joy ride through the agglomeration.

Nice pictures and thanks for sharing! :eek:kay:

·
Banned
4,330 Posts
Adorable :)

·
Employee of the Year !
1,251 Posts
Erg mooie reeks. Herkenbaar. Ik zit sinds een paar minuutjes op dit forum. Dit soort beelden laten zien dat ik er toch goed aan heb gedaan om lid te worden. :)
You should post a little more on this forum, Tim.
You're one of the most inspiring photographers for me. I hope you find some time in the near future again to show us some of your next work !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts