SkyscraperCity banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be a familiar site, but it's the first time I've come across it. I think it's a pretty neat idea, though I doubt that several of these projects are achievable in a 5 year span (especially if they try to do them simultaneously).

http://www.charlotte2010.com/

This pic is the kicker:

I'm not crazy about the one-axis design of the city (tho skyline shots would improve), but damn it's cool to look in a crystal ball and see the city growing up!

·
Fruit 'n' Nut
1,293 Posts
Justadude said:
I think it's a pretty neat idea, though I doubt that several of these projects are achievable in a 5 year span (especially if they try to do them simultaneously).
Yeah it sounds very futuristic and far away but it's really only 4 and a half years.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have never been to Charlotte. I have seen ariel shots, but is the downtown a more dense city or less densed? From ariel shots, the downtown looks pretty small. Any good downtown shots ??

·
Here come the warm jets
445 Posts
Are they really gonna go through with covering 277 with a park? Personally, I like the idea.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rsanders4617 said:
I have never been to Charlotte. I have seen ariel shots, but is the downtown a more dense city or less densed? From ariel shots, the downtown looks pretty small. Any good downtown shots ??
It's dense in the sense that it's very compact, but it doesn't have the population yet that one would expect from a "dense" city. The downtown area is mostly a business district. Once a few of these condo towers get built it will start to feel more like a dense city.

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
IT'S LIKE A REVERSE ATLANTA!!!

-

·
Jersey FRESH
460 Posts
It looks like they will bury a portion of that interstate beneath a park. I like that idea too. But it also looks like the interstate will fly over portions of the park and that's scary.

There's a planner from the 1920s that had a similar vision for London, I think. I'll have to refer to my history of planning book and find the details.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Everything starts with a vision, and Charlotte has a great one for itself. I saw this plan at the Cooper-Cary website, the company that did similar studies for Greensboro and Raleigh. Here are a couple of links and a few images that may interest you:

CHARLOTTE 2010 VISION PLAN:
http://www.coopercarry.com/CaseStudies/00TheCenter/Charlotte2010.html

THE QUARTER:
http://www.coopercarry.com/CaseStudies/00TheCenter/CharlotteQuarter.html

You can read more by visiting the above links. I know nothing about the status of The Quarter project, so please feel free to share some input if you know anything. It sounds like a very progressive plan.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^ That's the first I've heard of the Quarter as well. To tell you the truth, it seems a little artificial even for a city with a "plastic" reputation. It looks like the kind of place that would completely empty out during weeknights, which would be especially bad for the district. Planning several downtown blocks at a time seems a little too ambitious and potentially disasterous for this stage of the game.

And I just noticed... I hope they turn that "new baseball stadium" so that it looks at the skyline and not the Panthers game across the street :)

LSyd said:
IT'S LIKE A REVERSE ATLANTA!!! -
Er... yeah, kinda. I think people in Charlotte are pretty self-conscious of being in roughly the same place that Atlanta was several decades ago, so most of the local development talk begins with "Atlanta made this or that mistake, so let's avoid it by...".

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Taken from Cooper-Carry's website:

This area would become known as The Quarter, Charlotte’s new cultural district. The Quarter would be a uniquely Charlotte place, with the metaphor of the quilt running through the design in acknowledgment of the local culture of arts and crafts. The plan includes a two-block urban park called The Quilterre (“quilt of the ground”), a Mint Museum of Art, Children’s Library, AutoSAT museum, Museum of the New South, Arts & Science Council headquarters, a retail focus on Tenth Street, artist lofts, Ninth Street becomes a “green street,” 700 units of housing, a new downtown school, plus a wide range of land uses and mixed-use buildings.

It sounds to me like a good mix of uses, with emphasis on Arts & Culture. I doesn't sound like an entertainment district, but we all know how easily this can change. Mixed-use may imply a wide variety of destinations and I am sure there will be something for everyone there. On the paper, at least, it looks pretty good :eek:kay:

·
King of the Queen
2,164 Posts
the idea has been tossed around for a while. i doubt they'd do it to the extent of supporting any major structures [other than park land] over the freeway simply because of cost. then again, a park is rather heavy.

i doubt it would be that big simply because they would have to close down every exit at that portion of the freeway. we all know those are some very popular exits since they provide access to south end and wachovia buildings on that side of uptown.

The Quarter is nothing new. Levine has moved so slow on his project that its just sad now. parts have come together such as the children's library [called ImigineON] and other parts are likley to come such as the Mint [with Bank of America's new tower]. The Bechler will be with the new Wachovia tower.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.