1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
King of the Queen
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Impassioned residents convince Mooresville board to deny rezoning

KATHRYN WELLIN
Staff Writer

MOORESVILLE - One Lake Norman resident said she would have felt like an ant under a microscope living near the proposed 17-story Nautilus hotel. Another resident, who happens to be a developer, said he had never seen a more absurd rezoning request.

They and nearly 300 other opponents helped bring down the controversial project at the Mooresville Planning Board meeting late Thursday, at least for now. The planning board denied the rezoning application 8-0.

The more than two-hour debate hinged on resolving the community's vision for Lake Norman's future. The Nautilus Hotel & Conference Center would be a departure for the largely rural and residential lakeshore, transforming it into something more snazzy than naturally scenic.

"It would generate an image for ... the town of Mooresville, more in keeping with its growing character," said Nautilus developer Burt Gellman, a lake resident since 1971.

Despite growth, the lake area should not become urban, local real estate agent Cathy Lynch told the planning board. The project would require a waiver of Mooresville's four-story maximum building height rule.

"We're not Charlotte, we're not a big city, we're not downtown Atlanta," she said.

The town Board of Commissioners makes final decisions on such cases and will consider on May 2 whether to hold a public hearing to consider the issue. Gellman could withdraw his application before then and resubmit it after 90 days. A call to Gellman on Friday was not returned.

Gellman and his development team spent an hour trying to convince the planning board through computer-generated images, talk of luscious building materials and design references to famed architect Frank Lloyd Wright that the Nautilus was for the "good of the community."

"This is going to be something beautiful to look at as opposed to, `What's that thing sticking up there?' " Gellman said.

Yet his experts could not counter low-tech residents, who relied on sometimes harsh language and emotion to make their point.

A resident of Ponderosa Circle, which borders the project property, had constructed a rough model of the hotel to scale out of cardboard and what looked like duct tape. Set on a table, it nearly reached his head.

Below he laid a model about the size of a cereal box that he said represented his one-story, 1,100-square-foot home.

"There's limits for a reason," he said to applause.

·
Registered
31 Posts
"A resident of Ponderosa Circle, which borders the project property, had constructed a rough model of the hotel to scale out of cardboard and what looked like duct tape. Set on a table, it nearly reached his head"

LOL, I dont know why but the cracks me up, especially the "what looked like duct tape" part. Haha!!

·
King of the Queen
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i think both towers have been fought and i think the lake lanier one is dead? this one has just been denied by the planning commisson. it could still be approved by the city. if the city wants that tax dollars and a 'nice' place for NASCAR fans to stay, they'll likley approve it despite the stupid concerns of those in the area. they are fighting it for the wrong reasons, IMO.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Most comments from area residents reflected concern over increased traffic and a change in their non-urban way of life. I hate to break it to these folks, but their area is not gonna stay rural much longer no matter what becomes of this hotel. The sprawl is on its way...

·
jupiter
344 Posts
this particular project may not be a good idea.

That said, a conncentrated area of devlopment might be nice. A sort of mimi city on the lake. In Europe I have seen examples of this that are very inviting.

·
King of the Queen
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^ that idea is one that i hope the city explores. development is going to happen since they will let it. i just hope they allow the right development in the right ways that do not damage the lake's water and the environment in general. that and something that could be used with transit of some sort.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts