Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
8,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
285 Posts
That's the highest I've ever seen Chattanooga rated on one of these lists. I think the word has finally gotten out that Chattanooga is a great place to live!

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Interesting methodology:

"Areas need to be nominated on the site in order to be eligible for the list; more than 2,000 were nominated this year, [Steve Nickerson, president and CEO of HomeRoute] said. Special efforts are made to prevent spamming campaigns from influencing the results, he added.

But the site's editorial team also takes into account an area's growth, its educational and employment opportunities, crime rates and housing options before granting it a spot in the top 100. Environmental highlights also play a role, with a city gaining points for good air and water quality or the strength of its recycling efforts, Nickerson said."

I guess that helps to explain the city that landed the #6 spot, a place that most of us here probably have never heard of. But yay for Charlotte! :cheer:

·
Registered
841 Posts
Odd...no Raleigh. It's rare that Charlotte beats out Raleigh in something like this, but it's even more rare that Raleigh isn't even on the list.

·
Here come the warm jets
445 Posts
yayer chatty! i think i miss the deliverance reputation chatt's long enjoyed. funny title gman

·
Registered
841 Posts
Perhaps they could've used more up-to-date info from the CoC. Did you guys read the description of Charlotte? It talks about the Panthers as an expansion team and brags about the Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit at Discovery Place which "is currently on display through May 29, 2006".

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Odd...no Raleigh. It's rare that Charlotte beats out Raleigh in something like this, but it's even more rare that Raleigh isn't even on the list.
It's all good... Raleigh has made the top of other lists, published by the same source :) Congrats to all the cities that made the list. Nice to see Charlotte mentioned... It's about time, I think.

g-man, you must be very happy now ;)

·
Registered
841 Posts
It's all good... Raleigh has made the top of other lists, published by the same source :) Congrats to all the cities that made the list. Nice to see Charlotte mentioned... It's about time, I think.

g-man, you must be very happy now ;)
Raleigh and Cary were both in the top 100, but after the top 10 it appears they were just in alphabetical order, so I'm not sure how high they were ranked. Either way, we all know what Raleigh brings to the table. It's just odd that Raleigh isn't top 10 for a change...you can usually count on Raleigh and Austin being at the very top of these kinds of lists, regardless of the source or criteria.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I think it is not too good to make this kind of list all the time; people will believe them and want to move here. We are getting approx 60,000 people a year moving to the Charlotte MSA. We do not need more people coming without roads, schools, health care and utilities improvements.

We have too many farm to market narrow roads fill with housing developments that are not safe to drive on. The trouble is the roads, schools are the last thing that gets update or built. We must do a better job of planning on how we expand our city and not play catch-up all the time.

·
Registered
841 Posts
CLTNC, that's a good dilemma to have. Cities like Detroit, Buffalo, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh wish they had such a dilemma. I agree that Charlotte has to do a better job of keeping up as its population increases, but I don't think there's any reason to discourage continued growth. Increasing population isn't the problem. The problem is the poor management of such things as schools and roads. These newcomers will pay their taxes just like the rest of us. It's up to the city to make sure that money is well spent. This is a great place to live, and it will continue to grow, whether or not lists like this are published.

·
Registered User.
2,249 Posts
I'm surprised that Tulsa is on the list.

·
Registered
387 Posts
That alone is the reason I have a hard time believing this list.
Well it's no secret that Charlotte boosters have worked feverishly to obtain the same level of national and even international recognition for Charlotte that Raleigh has enjoyed over the past decade. It wouldn't surprise me if Charlotte promoters provided some sort of "incentive" to get Charlotte ranked so high on that list. Afterall, it's not Forbes or Fortune saying this...

I seriously doubt that anyone not from that area, who has spent significant time throughout the Charlotte metro, would think that it was one of the best cities in the country to live. Yes, they have an urban and contemporary uptown area, but most other areas of that city are seriously lacking.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts