1 - 20 of 247 Posts

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
55,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Economy Fails To Dampen Growth

The Westin Charlotte—Charlotte Skyline by Westin Hotels and Resorts, on Flickr

Charlotte population swelled nearly 3 percent in 2011

Nearly 20,000 people moved to Charlotte between April 2010 and July 2011, boosting the city's population by 2.7 percent to around 751,000, according to a recent On Numbers report based on U.S. Census Bureau data.

The Queen City is the 17th-largest in the nation by population, and it holds the same spot in a ranking based on the rate of population growth.

Though Charlotte remains the largest city in North Carolina by a wide margin, its growth rate was outpaced by both Cary and Raleigh. Each of those cities posted population gains of 3.1 percent between April 2010 and July 2011.

On Numbers' database contains the latest figures for 285 cities with populations of more than 100,000, based on Census Bureau population estimates for July 2011. Comparisons are provided with official counts from the April 2010 census.

[...]

·
Registered
841 Posts
Slightly on-topic, I was on the lightrail to go to the Panthers game on Saturday...been a while since I took the train. I was SHOCKED by the construction along the rail line. Isn't this supposed to be a bad housing market at the moment?!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Looks like they are still fleeing Detroit.

Detroit lost 7,192 people in one year.

I watched on dateline that houses were put up for auction for $100.00 and nobody was bidding on them.

:lol:

·
Love me, love my dog...
3,075 Posts
Not to rain on the parade here, but we're talking almost 300 square miles...Charlotte probably should have 750,000 in that amount of space.

The wild variance in area is the exact reason that people don't take city limits statistics seriously.

·
Oh No He Didn't
5,297 Posts
If the economy will just stabilize a little bit, and we push really hard we should pass Forth Worth in the next 2 years.
I don't know about that, Fort Worth is also growing at a pretty good clip.

Not to rain on the parade here, but we're talking almost 300 square miles...Charlotte probably should have 750,000 in that amount of space.

The wild variances in area is the exact reason that people don't take city limits statistics seriously.
Indeed, San Antonio is a pretty good example of this since while in theory it has 1.3 million within the city limits, in reality the city limits are so expansive that they take up most of Bexar County and make up 80%-90% of the land area in the entire metro, meanwhile you have cities such as Atlanta and Boston which are restricted by law from annexing more land so they deceptively show their city limits as having less people even though their metro areas are much larger then say San Antonio's or Charlotte's.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I was going to make a thread about whether Mecklenburg County or Wake County was going to hit the 1,000,000 person milestone first..they both were in the 900,000 area with Mecklenburg several thousand more.......this is a good thread as ever to ask???

What yall think????

Furthermore:

-Not Southeastern cities per se/arguably.........but wow at Washington, DC growing by 16K in one year, while Baltimore (though having some interesting neighborhoods to boom) is still bleeding slow, and is about to be overtaken

-Detroit is going to be below 700K.....I remember when they mid were 900K

-Austin, TX is about to leapfrog/long jump over Indianapolis and Jacksonville in one fell swoop.......amazing..

·
Registered
841 Posts
Weim, I don't think that's raining on anyone's parade. It's a sprawling city that's the size of Chicago in land area. We all know that. Most of us are not delusional about it.

As for Wake vs Mecklenburg, I haven't looked at the numbers recently, but it's a similar point, Wake has the land area advantage, so I wouldn't be shocked if it gets to the 1 million mark first.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Oklahoma City growing at 2.06%, adding 11,966 for a total of 591,967. We should be passing Portland soon, and both us and Portland should be taking over Milwaukee within the next year or so.

OKC also has incredibly large city limits though. Massive actually.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I'm not for certain how much longer Charlotte can keep growing at that rate considering the unemployment situation and the struggling (local) financial sector. It's always had a can-do type mentality, the next 5-10 years will be interesting to note. OKC is chugging along...

·
Registered
411 Posts
I'm happy for Charlotte and other cities whose city number go up, but as noted, it's hard to take a "city" number seriously for cities that have increased land area so vastly and continue to be expansive in land. Every measue has its drawbacks, but I find it difficult to equate city numbers since cities vary so greatly in their land growth patterns etc.

Do people outside Ohio know that Columbus is its biggest city? Is it in reality?
Or that San Diego is "bigger" than San Francisco or that Jacksonville is the largest city in FL? Is it, in reality?

Again, nothing against any of these cities at all.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I'm happy for Charlotte and other cities whose city number go up, but as noted, it's hard to take a "city" number seriously for cities that have increased land area so vastly and continue to be expansive in land. Every measue has its drawbacks, but I find it difficult to equate city numbers since cities vary so greatly in their land growth patterns etc.

Do people outside Ohio know that Columbus is its biggest city? Is it in reality?
Or that San Diego is "bigger" than San Francisco or that Jacksonville is the largest city in FL? Is it, in reality?

Again, nothing against any of these cities at all.

Yeah, but still our Metro area is Growing at a good pace also.

People keep throwing up Annexing, What did we Annex in 2011 to gain 20,000 people?

·
McSAME and FAILIN
1,346 Posts
Slightly on-topic, I was on the lightrail to go to the Panthers game on Saturday...been a while since I took the train. I was SHOCKED by the construction along the rail line. Isn't this supposed to be a bad housing market at the moment?!
Its actually staggering the amount of midrises being built in Southend, downtown and midtown. I posted a list in the Charlotte Development thread.

Tons actually, its amazing how under the radar Charlotte Development is on this site.

Here are Approved Charlotte Projects.
Childress Klein Building on 3rd Ward Park: 372 units 21 floors
Renassiance Redevelopment: 200 apartments and 350k sq foot office building 6 floors and 15 floors
Levine Apartments Uptown: 200 apartments wrapping a 1400 space deck 6 floors
Alpha Mill 2: 300 Market Rate Apartments 5 floors.
Lofts at Seigle Point: 250 Condos 3 floors
Lennar Mixed Use Project: 300 Apartments with 12 retail spots. 7 floors
Levine Apartments South End: 150 units in 12 floor apartment tower.
Morehead Properties Project: 220 units on Morehead.
Fountains Uptown: 220 Units, 6 floors.
Cambridge Apartments 250 units, 6 floors
Faison Project: 200 Units, Wilmore, 5 floors
Park and Kingston, 5 floors, 153 units
Centro Studios Apartments: 175 units 6 floors.
330 West Tremont. 164 unit apartments 6 floors, with future retail and office development.
Junction 1504 280 units, 4 floors
The cottages at Euclid, 19 condos, 3 floor town homes
Woodfield Silos 300 Units, 5 floors, garden style apartments.
Colonial Properties Southend Grand, 350 parking deck wrapped apartments.
Fountains at New Bern 250 units, 6 floors.
JBL Apartments, Elizabeth APartment building 6 floors 350 units.
The Edison Plaza Midwood, 60 units 4 floors, nice infill
Music Factory Apartments 250 units, 40k sq. feet of retail on the East side of 277.
Faison Apartments 2. 280 units Gateway Village, 6 floors and hopefully some retail.
Lomax West Side Apartments. 300 Apartments near Bryant Park.
Cresent Project: On the Trump land, 15 floors of apartments and a 10 story office tower.

Parks:
3rd Ward Park, grading and plumbing done.
1st Ward Park: Preliminary Demo starting
Wells Fargo Sense and Science Garden. Wells Fargo Sponsored 2 acre children's park in 1st Ward under construction
Tryon Street Pocket Park. Site of former Encore Apartments, being turned into a small pocket park on Tryon Street.
South End Park.

South Park Projects
Ashley Park, Whole Food, 118,000 square feet of offices, 78,000 square feet of retail, 150 residential units and a 120-room boutique hotel.

Market at South Park
189,200 square feet of retail. 100 apartments

Hotel Indigo
7 floors 100 rooms

Circle at Piedmont
8 floors 350 units

Maersk Redevelopment
560 units, eventual 500k of office space.

Woodfield South Park
350 Units, 9 floors.

·
Registered User.
2,249 Posts
Oklahoma City growing at 2.06%, adding 11,966 for a total of 591,967. We should be passing Portland soon, and both us and Portland should be taking over Milwaukee within the next year or so.

OKC also has incredibly large city limits though. Massive actually.
I love seeing Charlotte and OKC continue to grow at impressive rates. Both cities have really made names for themselves and will continue to do so.

·
Love me, love my dog...
3,075 Posts
Yeah, but still our Metro area is Growing at a good pace also.

People keep throwing up Annexing, What did we Annex in 2011 to gain 20,000 people?
Camp Stewart South, Whitehall, and Rhyne are 3 areas that were annexed in 2011. The areas make up 3.8 square miles and about 4,000 people: http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Annexation/2011/Preliminary_2011_Annexation_Report.pdf

I don't want to be "throwing up" annexation (yuck), but Charlotte has annexed quite a bit over the past couple of decades and that process has largely contributed to the city's population growth. There is nothing wrong with that of course, but I wouldn't see it as a source of pride for my city either. http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Annexation/Annexation_History.pdf

·
Registered
710 Posts
Camp Stewart South, Whitehall, and Rhyne are 3 areas that were annexed in 2011. The areas make up 3.8 square miles and about 4,000 people: http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Annexation/2011/Preliminary_2011_Annexation_Report.pdf

I don't want to be "throwing up" annexation (yuck), but Charlotte has annexed quite a bit over the past couple of decades and that process has largely contributed to the city's population growth. There is nothing wrong with that of course, but I wouldn't see it as a source of pride for my city either. http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Annexation/Annexation_History.pdf
Better we Annex then become sprawling with multiple urban centers and towns that decide our fate when it comes to transit.

Charlotte, Raleigh, Atlanta, Austin, etc. are growing... Georgia, Florida, and Texas are growing. Mecklenburg county is growing. Center city Charlotte and urban neighborhoods are growing...

So we added 16,000 residents not including the 4000 from annexation in 1 year.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Better we Annex then become sprawling with multiple urban centers and towns that decide our fate when it comes to transit.

Charlotte, Raleigh, Atlanta, Austin, etc. are growing... Georgia, Florida, and Texas are growing. Mecklenburg county is growing. Center city Charlotte and urban neighborhoods are growing...

Don't forget your neighbors down South....New Orleans was the fastest growing city in the country last year.....

·
Love me, love my dog...
3,075 Posts

Okay...could you post a more defensive response? :lol:

Calm down...nobody was trying to slight Charlotte. I believe you asked what Charlotte annexed last year so I looked it up and responded. Get over it.

1 - 20 of 247 Posts