SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past Saturday I went on a little walk through downtown. Nothing special was going on...just another Saturday in the CLT.

Lets start with atlrvr's new housing concept...shipping containers :)

Just kidding...I'm sure the ones atlrvr wants to use are much nicer. This is being used for the LRT construction.

Another pic of the South LRT Construction.

Next lets walk over to Epicentre and check on its progress.
The 30 ft grey wall you see on the left is where the LRT will be.

And still looking at the Epicentre site panning to the right....

Look at the pretty cranes...almost has a Carribean feel to it.

On Saturdays even the construction workers take it easy :)

Well the real reason that I took a walk was to get some lunch.
So I stopped at Matt's Chicago Dog at The Green...mmm yummy.
I sat outside and people watched...ends up AKA was in town.

OK, lunch is down, lets get the move on...Nice view of the Westin from The Green.

Oh btw, they have the 3 fishes fountain turned back on now that spring is here.

right across from the Green is where Wachovia is building their new tower:

This dude at the Wachovia site was riding a neat machine.
Not sure what it does, but it looks cool.

Moving on up Tryon now..Wachovia Main is just about done now.
Not sure how I feel about it.

And across from Wachovia Main is 220 S Tryon Condos.

Looks like this dude didn't get the memo that you are supposed to take it easy on Saturdays.

220 S Tryon and her crane.

Gaggle of teens doing what they do best...hanging out doing nothing :)

This dog was getting everybody's attention as he drove down Tryon.

No Left Turn. No Right Turn. But its OK to hold hands

Anyone hungry for another Hot Dog???...I'm still full so I will pass.

Playing some Chess in Polk Park...can't beat that.

OK, enough people lets get back to the construction.
Here is Trademark...well on its way past floor #7.

A building that doesn't get much attention in CLT...the Odell tower.

And here is Avenue well on its way past floor # 3

Sorry its just hard to avoid the people these days downtown...they are everywhere!

Mint Museum Statue keeping watch over Tryon St.

Kids and water fountains go together like peanut butter and jelly.

If you want to know what the Soleil Center in Raleigh is going to look like...
just add 20 floors to the Omni Hotel.

This guy got the memo: Saturdays are for relaxing.

I find it ironic that right across from the Bobcats Arena is the
CTC painted in Charlotte Hornets colors.
Alexander Jullian would be proud.

This is where Dunkin Doughnuts, Red's BBQ, and Matts Chicago Dog will open soon.

The Arena, BofA Plaza, Omni Hotel, Interstate Tower, and Carrilon in one pic!

Storms a comin, we better hurry...

View of the Midtown area from the Police Station...

Beauty shot from my neighborhood:

Well I am back home now...thanks for coming along with me on my walk.

Here is your bonus shot of the day from the Traffic Cirlce in First Ward:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Awesome...I like the dog pic, and the one with the roses is incredible. Good Job. I love to see all the people downtown...Living in Southeast Charlotte, I dont get up there often enough. anyway, FANTASTIC PICS.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
:applause:
This is DEFINITELY one of the nicest Uptown Charlotte threads I've seen. Congratulations for successfully capturing Uptown's feel, and many thanks for the construction updates. By the way, I loved the Westin Hotel view from The Green; such photos make great promotional material ;) Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Great pics from this past weekend. I heard AKA was out in full force; didn't have a chance to check them out, as I had fraternity functions to attend myself.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I think that dude is riding a diesel piledriver or maybe a big drill, last time i was in ut charlotte you could hear them things pounding like hell all over the place.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
15 years ago, you would have had the uptown by your self. Nice to see active center city now. When the Epic Centre opens, you will see a lot going on uptown.

Enjoyed your photos from your walk.

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
I really enjoyed the pics! Great job. Nice to see those cranes and new construction.:eek:kay:

·
King of the Queen
2,164 Posts
odell looks fat.
midtown looks dense.
and the bobcats should get the colors of the CTC and go with the color scheme for CATS.

just from five years ago there is now a TON of things going up. there are also a ton of people in uptown. street vendors were rare even on weekdays. now they are out on weekends and not just during the day - but out all night.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Style™ said:
odell looks fat.
midtown looks dense.
and the bobcats should get the colors of the CTC and go with the color scheme for CATS.

just from five years ago there is now a TON of things going up. there are also a ton of people in uptown. street vendors were rare even on weekdays. now they are out on weekends and not just during the day - but out all night.
I definately need to make a trip down there real soon, haven't been down there in 5 months. I'm just loving that street scene, along with the construction pics as well.

·
Registered
841 Posts
CLTNC said:
15 years ago, you would have had the uptown by your self. Nice to see active center city now. When the Epic Centre opens, you will see a lot going on uptown.

Enjoyed your photos from your walk.
That's what's so great about Charlotte's current situation is that the street life you're seeing is based on the current population and we're on the verge of a population boom in the Center City thanks to all these condo towers. Within just a few short years there will be more Uptown residents in these pics, not to mention more suburbanites/tourists coming in to the center city for such things as the new Wake Forest branch, the new art museum, new theater, and Nascar HOF, and (eventually) a new baseball stadium. And who knows what other projects will be announced in the mean time. These are all things we know about right now. Odds are there's plenty more on the way. Things are looking good for Uptown.

·
Registered
686 Posts
krazeeboi said:
Great pics from this past weekend. I heard AKA was out in full force; didn't have a chance to check them out, as I had fraternity functions to attend myself.

Hey, I was at the residence inn near the stadium that weekend. I flew out of CLT vs. RDU (my significant other wanted to see the dead sea scrolls exhibition, plus her parents live in Mooresville).

I wish I had gone solo because the AKAs were everywhere and looking very lovely I might add (all over our hotel....skee-wee was in effect!). I wanted to wipe off 15 years and 50 lbs....oh well.

Yea, Charlotte's uptown always had a lot of potential and now it is being realized. The chess matches should relocate to 3rd ward park when completed (always a nice touch). The only thing missing is an abundance of street level retail which should start to appear once the NHOF is completed.

Great pictures and that was a beautiful day, before and after the storm.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts