Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Made in Indy
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I thought Charlotte was pretty boring. It kind of has an oppressive feel to it, too, with police everywhere and high-security parking garages. I saw a sign that said you shouldn’t be in a parking garage unless you have actual business there. Who the hell had the time to think of that stupid ordinance? Who gives a shit if someone wants to spend time in a parking garage? Charlotte wasn't as urban as I had hoped it would be after reading about it here. Infill is really needed because as soon as you leave uptown it's just one-story buildings and more surface parking lots. This was the case on the south side anyway.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Some of those shots are fantastic :)

I guess if you spent your time on the south side, that's part of why it had that suburban-"oppressive" feel to it. The north side of town's a lot more gritty and interesting (to me anyway) and the east is a little bit of both. You probably would've found a lot of good photo ops in NoDa or on Thomas Ave.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I thought Charlotte was pretty boring.
Understandable. It's a great place to live, but it's not a tourist town, and its touristy attractions (i.e. Concord Mills, Lowe's Motor Speedway, Carowinds, etc) aren't located Uptown.

It kind of has an oppressive feel to it, too, with police everywhere and high-security parking garages. I saw a sign that said you shouldn’t be in a parking garage unless you have actual business there. Who the hell had the time to think of that stupid ordinance?
Welcome to post-9/11 America, buddy. With Al Qaida always threatening American financial institutions, can you blame Charlotte's banks for being so defensive?

Charlotte wasn't as urban as I had hoped it would be after reading about it here.
Charlotte is progressing in an urban manner, but by no means would it currently be defined as urban, especially by northern standards.

Infill is really needed because as soon as you leave uptown it's just one-story buildings and more surface parking lots. This was the case on the south side anyway.
The South side where exactly? You obviously aren't talking about Dilworth and East boulevard, so perhaps you found yourself along South Tryon or South boulevard, both being very ugly corridors. We're hoping the lightrail line will help progress these two areas.

But you would've been more impressed if you had continued out eastbound on Central into Plaza Midwood or perhaps north on Davidson to NoDa. Even heading out on Trade into the west side or east into Elizabeth would've given you more developed urban neighborhoods than you saw in South End.

In general this is a very nice series of pics, though. You were able to capture the financial district very well. Next time you should explore Uptown's neighborhoods, including 1st, 3rd, and 4th wards (you'd especially like 4th ward) and check out the Gateway area with Johnson and Wales' new campus.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Enjoyed the pics. Thanks for posting. Charlotte is growing...maybe it will be more interesting in a decade or so. It's still striving to have a big city identity, IMO. A great deal of the feel of the City still goes back to the days when it wasn't as large as it is today. It will learn soon, though, as the fast growth in Charlotte has slowed considerably in the last couple of years. When a City goes through the growth cycles of growth for 30 or 40 years, then slowing down, and then re-entering the cycle a couple of decades later, only to have the cycle repeat, then the identity of the City, itself develops. It takes time. It will happen with Charlotte. Right now it's fairly aloof and doesn't have much depth to it....it's fairly shallow and doesn't have the rock solid base that takes time to develop in big cities. It will develop, though. Not likely in our lifetimes, however.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Enjoyed the pics. Thanks for posting. Charlotte is growing...maybe it will be more interesting in a decade or so. It's still striving to have a big city identity, IMO. A great deal of the feel of the City still goes back to the days when it wasn't as large as it is today. It will learn soon, though, as the fast growth in Charlotte has slowed considerably in the last couple of years. When a City goes through the growth cycles of growth for 30 or 40 years, then slowing down, and then re-entering the cycle a couple of decades later, only to have the cycle repeat, then the identity of the City, itself develops. It takes time. It will happen with Charlotte. Right now it's fairly aloof and doesn't have much depth to it....it's fairly shallow and doesn't have the rock solid base that takes time to develop in big cities. It will develop, though. Not likely in our lifetimes, however.
Within our lifetimes Charlotte will likely progress to a state similar to present-day Atlanta or Houston. But even then Charlotte will get picked on for not being urban enough, just as Houston and Atlanta get picked on right now.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
These are some of the nicest photos of Uptown Charlotte that I have seen :eek:kay: I had a chance to visit the Queen City, again, over a month ago and I can say that the place keeps growing in an impressive way. Charlotte is entering the league of big cities, but it needs time to mature. Unlike other major cities, Charlotte focuses a lot on being clean, which is an unusual feeling for those who live in big cities like New York, Chicago, etc. Charlotte is too clean for some, almost sterilized. True, there are some gritty areas, but nothing near the typical NE grit. Unfortunately, lots depend on one's expectations. When thinking of Charlotte's growing skyline, a visitor may expect a city that has twice the population and 3 times the density, but quality of life does not depend on that. Charlotte is not a touristy place (e.g. Miami, New Orleans), but it surely offers opportunities for good living.

Thanks for sharing these photos, I really enjoyed them all!!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yea I agree, as Charlotte grows, as with all cities, people's expectations grow as well. Charlotte is no longer a small city but it is still fairly young at being a bigger city. I agree it takes time. But I believe also that Charlotte has a lot going for it now and has much to be proud of. Obviously many people like it because it continues to grow like crazy.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Charlotte is growing and becoming a cool place. It feels funny being criticized by someone from Indianapolis (Indianoplace). Have you checked lately? It ain't cool there either. Man, it's in the middle of Indiana. How cool can it be?? And, what's up with the problem you have with security. I guess people that loiter around parking lots in Indy all have good intentions and no security is neccessary. Did you know about 9/11? Have a nice day.

·
Made in Indy
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
vindaloo said:
Charlotte is growing and becoming a cool place. It feels funny being criticized by someone from Indianapolis (Indianoplace). Have you checked lately? It ain't cool there either. Man, it's in the middle of Indiana. How cool can it be?? And, what's up with the problem you have with security. I guess people that loiter around parking lots in Indy all have good intentions and no security is neccessary. Did you know about 9/11? Have a nice day.
Why don't you visit for yourself and find out? Yes I know about 9/11 but I guess we're more open here in Indianoplace because we know our city sucks and it isn't as important as Charlotte. God bless security. I don't think I'll complain now if I go back and think the city still feels threatening.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
MCC said:
Why don't you visit for yourself and find out? Yes I know about 9/11 but I guess we're more open here in Indianoplace because we know our city sucks and it isn't as important as Charlotte. God bless security. I don't think I'll complain now if I go back and think the city still feels threatening.
If it sheds any light on the situation, it was only about a year ago that a Pakistani man who had immigrated from Tijuana under a fake name was arrested on terror charges after making a series of videotapes of banks, office towers, dams and federal buildings around Charlotte. As far as I know he's still awaiting trial but it was pretty unnerving.

I don't know if you actually went inside the BoA building, but security there is airtight. It's about the atmosphere you get at the Capitol Building in D.C. They aren't taking any risks with the possibility of an incident there.

Personally, I don't find the city "threatening", but you have to be a little understanding with security personnel. Charlotte is a relatively small city filled with high-profile targets that would cause major repurcussions if they were to be struck.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts