SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 503 Posts

·
lagom
1,537 Posts
Awesome pics!
A pic with Crowders Mountain behind the city would be awesome. I remember in the winter when I used to work in 1 First Union (back in the day) my office faced west and I could see the mountains on a clear day. Crowders to the West and the foothills towards Hickory.
If only the mountains began in Lincoln county it would be an amazing backdrop fro the skyline.

·
Illuminati Leader
6,057 Posts
Dense but boxy. The tallest one looks it was forced to be somewhat elegant but failed. But the pics were great Mobuchu. Can't blame you for the skyline. But then again, I love Charlotte. Without it, Obama wouldn't have won NC.

·
Illuminati Leader
6,057 Posts
^^ Boxy? Really? Not that boxy to me...it is a beautiful city....very clean and very progressive.....If Atlanta is the King of the South, Charlotte sure is the Queen....just beautiful.
^^
Not to mention the cheap housing makes it even more inviting and being an hour from both the Great Smoky Mountains and the Coast makes it extremely tempting to just move there

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Dense but boxy. The tallest one looks it was forced to be somewhat elegant but failed. But the pics were great Mobuchu. Can't blame you for the skyline. But then again, I love Charlotte. Without it, Obama wouldn't have won NC.
Boxy??? Charlotte's tallest towers aren't typical boxes; they all have decorative tops. Cities with boxy skylines, to me, would be Tulsa, Little Rock, Richmond, New Orleans, etc. And BOA Corporate Center which is the tallest was "forced" to be elegant but failed? You obviously haven't been to Charlotte to see it in person. It doesn't fail at all. Many people, those who are into highrise architecture and general laymen, consider it to be one of Caesar Pelli's greatest works in terms of highrises. It's classic and elegant in every sense of the word and is actually my favorite highrise in the South. Trust me, it doesn't fail in any way at all.

·
President of Catan
2,282 Posts
Hahahaha. People are allowed to dislike the Charlotte skyline, you know...
The word 'opinion' gets thrown around a lot these days.

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
55,632 Posts
Boxy?? Sounds like Tulsa is a little jealous.
Don't hate, appreciate.
Ok, no need to pick on Tulsa either. They had a really great run in the '70s and '80s when EVERYTHING was a box. But the oil patch slump and the loss of the Williams Company to Houston hit 'em hard. The same goes for a lot of cities. Let's just say that Charlotte got its big skyline upgrade at a good time for spires and crowns. What comes next, who knows? Starchitecture? How about a Zaha Hadid skyscraper in Charlotte? Or a Frank Gehry? I just hope that Charlotte's big banks stay there and prosper into this decade so we can all watch more great things happen! :cheers:

1 - 20 of 503 Posts