SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Belmont neighborhood of Charlotte rests just outside the I-277 loop to the north and northeast of Uptown. It has been viewed as one of the cities more troubled neighborhoods historically, but with all of the investment being put into not only Uptown, but other surrounding neighborhoods such as Plaza Midwood, Elizabeth and NoDa the neighborhood has the potential to see dramatic change due to its quirkiness and most importantly its central location. All of the pictures below were taken within Belmont. I will get pictures of other inner city neighborhoods later for future threads. More info on this part of town can be found:

CWAC Belmont Report

Belmont Area Revitalization Plan

The Piedmont Courts public housing complex on the southeast side of the nieghborhood slated for demolition and redevelopment as a Hope VI project.

Thanks for viewing.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Great thread!!! I have never seen this area before, but I can recognize the potential for urban redevelopment/renewal. Hopefully, we'll see developers focusing on areas like this some day, thus creating opportunities for some urban living outside the core of the city. I look forward to seeing more such images from overlooked areas in the Queen City ;)

·
Registered
186 Posts
The only potential I see is if you tear everything down and start over. This is the ghetto, pure and simple -- no need to sugarcoat it.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Thanks for posting these pics...I live right next to Belmont and ride my bike over there all the time. It is a very quiet neighborhood...and yes it is ghetto...but at the same time with all the redevelopment lined up to start this year it is going to see a lot of change ...mostly for the better.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I had a bid in on the house in the very first picture of this thread, but was ultimately outbid....its amazing how fast property values are going up in this neighborhood....

In general the location of this hood is great and some spots have unbelievable skyline views.....Also, the two story brick building that has the coke sign on it is a really amazing building that will be cornerstone of rebuilding the areas commercial district.

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
2nd best Charlotte thread ever. the hood reminds of Ensley in Birmingham, without the downtown.

mdude said:
The only potential I see is if you tear everything down and start over. This is the ghetto, pure and simple -- no need to sugarcoat it.
:weird: :eek:hno:

atlrvr said:
I had a bid in on the house in the very first picture of this thread, but was ultimately outbid....its amazing how fast property values are going up in this neighborhood....

In general the location of this hood is great and some spots have unbelievable skyline views.....Also, the two story brick building that has the coke sign on it is a really amazing building that will be cornerstone of rebuilding the areas commercial district.
great news.

-

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
When we talk about potential we don't mean just "beautifications" and renovations. Sometimes older structures have past the point of salvation, while others may be reused partially. Redevelopment isn't always about destroying... There are times when we have to sacrifice a few homes to rebuild an area better and stronger.

To illustrate my point, let me use two of the photos above. The first one is a building worth saving and renovating:

The second photo (below) shows a building I think the area can do without. Anything is better that this... not that I have not seen worse:

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Belmont has a nice smell to it since the Kellogg's cookie plant is in the middle of the hood...sometimes its a chocolate chip smell and sometimes its a peanut butter cookie smell...

First Ward is lucky to get those smells from time to time.

·
Registered
349 Posts
One thing I do hope is that this neighborhood will be able to keep some of its character and soul and not fall victim of gentrification.

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
That's an......ummm...interesting neighborhood.:runaway:

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I'm no fan of gentrification (see NoDa), but I don't think there's much "soul" to save in this neighborhood. Look at those rows of boarded-up homes and empty businesses... it's not like people are happy to be living in that kind of environment. IMO, the area would be much better off gentrified than "preserved" in a state of poverty.

The main focus needs to be on making sure that the current residents have access to a higher living standard if/when they get priced out of their homes. Historically, people tend to get pushed out of these neighborhoods and into even worse middle-ring situations that are just as "ghetto" (and certainly, just as segregated) but less accessible to the rest of the city and amenities like mass transit.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
As stated on SSP - great shots & I really like the potential of that neighborhood. It does remind me not only of many of the towns I visited & parts of Rock Hill - but also of the neighborhood I live in now. Those working class neighborhoods of the early 1900's have made a great contribution to Atlanta, providing affordable - gentrified / transitional - neighborhoods for the lower / mid middle income, such as myself.

Even though someone had a problem with my characterization - this is particularly a classic Piedmont style house:

·
Registered
841 Posts
Belmont was one of the first charlotte neighborhoods I 'stumbled' into when I first moved here. In search of a good skyline shot I kept moving outward and outward of Uptown up this hill...past Piedmont Courts (had no clue what they were), and eventually got this shot:

The neighborhood is next to other fixer upper neighborhoods including Plaza Midwood and NoDa, so the surrounding area is getting healthier...and on top of that there is a revitalization plan in place, so I'm optimistic about the area. Look at this shot:

How can you not see potential here?

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
nostyle said:
Belmont was one of the first charlotte neighborhoods I 'stumbled' into when I first moved here. In search of a good skyline shot I kept moving outward and outward of Uptown up this hill...past Piedmont Courts (had no clue what they were), and eventually got this shot:

The neighborhood is next to other fixer upper neighborhoods including Plaza Midwood and NoDa, so the surrounding area is getting healthier...and on top of that there is a revitalization plan in place, so I'm optimistic about the area. Look at this shot:

How can you not see potential here?
That skyline shot is great. I see lots of potential in the neighborhood.:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.

I have never seen this area before, but I can recognize the potential for urban redevelopment/renewal.
Glad to introduce this area to you Raleigh-NC! Charlotte's inner ring on the north and west sides look nothing like the booming southern portions of town.

Well we'll have to disagree there. If you actually go into this area you'll see the potential. Remember Uptown Charlotte was pretty "ghetto" as late as the early 1990s....

the hood reminds of Ensley in Birmingham, without the downtown
It is reminiscent of Ensley, but personally I don't think it’s in as bad of shape as Ensley. Next time you're up this way give me a call and I'll take you on a tour so you can decide for yourself ;)

Also, the two story brick building that has the coke sign on it is a really amazing building that will be cornerstone of rebuilding the areas commercial district.
You are absolutely right about that one. That stretch of Pegram has the potential to morph into a mini NoDa one day.

Right now Belmont is at a crossroads. Personally I feel we will see a dramatic turn in this area with only 27% of residents in the neighborhood actually owning their home instead of renting. Unfortunately speculators are just sitting on many of these properties waiting to flip them as soon as the market is ready. For example, the following 3 homes are located at Van Every and Siegle with the same absentee owner owing 2 of them.

I have no problem with people trying to make a profit, but if nothing is done gentrification will result in this group of homeowners being pushed out because of rising property tax values. I want to see reinvestment whilst giving the opportunity for the neighborhoods homeowners to remain if they so choose.

Again, thanks to all for the replies!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Do you live in the CLT?
Sure do! Used to live in the University Area :tongue3: but now I live on Commonwealth about halfway between Morningside and The Plaza, the best part of the CLT :cool:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts