SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I paid a visit to Chatswood last week. It's been a few years since I last ventured to the satellite centre on Sydney's North Shore.

Skyline shots

Citadel Towers

Zenith Towers

I will be upset if Avatar is not salivating by now after seeing those photos.

It all began with this building forty years ago.

Nice neighbourhoods

·
Registered
77,014 Posts
needs new development.stagnated too long. the inetrchange towers and other 100m+ towers will be a welcome addition starting 2011.
thanks for shots.

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's hard to get new towers when the vacancy rate is as high as 20 % in office towers.

There are some older buildings that should be knocked down, nearby sites almagated and you can build a tall one with floorplates that would be more appealing to tenants.

·
Registered
77,014 Posts

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The retail and commercial podium will be ready by the end of next year once the building defects are repaired.

·
Modulator
1,208 Posts
Once again, good set of pics Fabian. :)

I've always viewed Chatswood as a prototype for high density development in suburban areas, it seems to work on the main, a mix of office, retail and residential. Cul's post with the Nearmap image is a good visual representation of Chatty's footprint - railway station in the centre, Pacific Hwy skirting the western side of the cluster of talls, with Westfield defining the south-eastern pocket. Outside of that, most residential developments consist of Californian bungalow-style housing, and the streetscapes are well established with leafy kerbside plantings, it looks an attractive area to live.

·
Galactic Ruler
6,857 Posts
Thanks Fabian, I do love Zenith, they have an ability to look double the height they really are due to some clever work with the window detailing.

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Model shots of the new highrises to rise above Chatswood Station.
Even more remarkable that these were taken in 2005 when the D/A was lodged.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Um lol just some clarification but whats a stallite city mean, purpose of one?
basically an relatively large suburb or community on the outer city metro area. They don't really have much of a purpose apart from serving as a place of residence, mini-cbd, tourist place.

Examples:
Brisbane has Gold Coast
Sydney has the Gong, Chatswood and Penrith
Darwin has Palmy!!!

·
Registered
519 Posts
basically an relatively large suburb or community on the outer city metro area. They don't really have much of a purpose apart from serving as a place of residence, mini-cbd, tourist place.

Examples:
Brisbane has Gold Coast
Sydney has the Gong, Chatswood and Penrith
Darwin has Palmy!!!
Thanks, ok i see :)

·
selling my body since 88'
2,241 Posts
The thing though is that Sydney's satellite CBD's have a very important purpose of spreading the city's (metro's) GDP and workers. Parramatta is actually the 3rd largest economic zone in the country after Syd and Melb (respectively) (!).

For Sydney it would have to be (size): Parra > N Syd > Chatswood > N Ryde > St Leonards > Artarmon > Norwest > Liverpool > my house.

There are many more emerging though such as Zetland, Hurtsville, Strathfield, Rhodes, etc.

·
6,436 Posts
Thanks for the photos Fabian, some nice shots. Its a nice little skyline Chatswood has there. Some pretty sexy office towers - especially the Vodafone twins, and the Zenith twins - that glass is so hot. Wasn't sure what their name was until I check though, then I found out that Zenith is supposedly Sydney's most recognised office building????

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Chatswood Chase Shopping Centre​

Here are some exterior photos of the recent upgrade to Chatswood Chase which involved the opening of 70 new stores and a new dining precinct.

Major tenants include David Jones, Coles and Kmart.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
For Sydney it would have to be (size): Parra > N Syd > Chatswood > N Ryde > St Leonards > Artarmon > Norwest > Liverpool > my house.
Is Artarmon really bigger than Norwest in terms of economic zone?
I thought the area is mainly residential.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts