Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 193 Posts

·
A Christchurch Son
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really thing this project needs it's own site. It's a massive project, which is going to cause great political storm over the next year.

Lets start the rough ride :horse:

It's going to be very interesting :nuts: :yes: :speech: :bleep: :2cents::bash: :rant: :yes:

·
A Christchurch Son
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Council on hunt again for headquarters

By ANNA LEASK

The controversial on-again off-again hunt for a new headquarters for our city council is on again.

City councillors yesterday agreed to put the plan to build a $100 million headquarters on the Orion site in the central city on hold, and look for other potential lower cost sites.

The plan for a new HQ has been a testy one with ratepayers over the past year or so.

In Wednesday's Star mayoral hopeful Megan Woods said her political 2021 group would target projects like a new HQ as an election issue.

"I think it's great that the council have extended that decision," she said.

"The site selection is going to be a big election issue, it's a huge issue for the people of Christchurch."

At yesterday's council meeting it was decided the Orion site would remain a contender for the final site, however, Vbase, the company responsible for the project, will now seek expressions of interest from other property owners in the central city area.

The western boundary of the search area, which was originally the Avon River, would now stretch to Rolleston Ave.

The owners of potential sites within both the previously defined area and the new area will be encouraged to either re-submit earlier proposals, or submit new ones.

Cr Helen Broughton suggested the site search area be widened even further, but Mayor Garry Moore said it was important to keep the civic offices in the central city.

He said it would contribute to the council's goal of revitalising the area.

"It will be the biggest building built in the central city other than the hospital," he said.

Last August the council indicated it preferred the Orion site, however, Vbase identified constraints on the site, including a $15 million relocation of a substation and transformer, and wanted to explore other options.

Vbase would also investigate the feasibility of including a new bus exchange as part of the development.

A report will be presented to councillors in September, just one month before local body elections.

A new central city office is needed as the current Tuam St centre, built as a department store in the 1930s is fast approaching the end of its life as suitable office accommodation.

·
A Christchurch Son
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Political group turns up heat on Tuam St

By AMANDA LEGGE

Labour's local body political wing signalled yesterday it will be targeting high profile issues to force change around the city council table when the election is held in October.

2021 mayoral candidate Megan Woods said one of the biggest issues on the campaigning agenda was the proposed new $100m civic offices. The grouping had begun a series of meetings last week with experts to see what viable alternatives were available.

Yesterday 2021 released to The Star the list of its council candidates for the October election.

In the past 2021 was a strong player on the citys local body politics scene.

However, at the last election in 2004 only mayor Garry Moore and councillor Anna Crighton were voted back under the 2021 ticket. The group now believes it is ready for a dominant presence on the council.
Dr Woods said, since she was announced as 2021s mayoral candidate six weeks ago, she had been talking to people at the "grass roots level" to find out what changes they wanted to see in the city.

She said feedback showed the civic offices debate would undoubtedly be an election issue.

"There is a lot of community discontent. There is a strong feeling in the community that people are not being listened to and their voices not respected or their rate payer dollar," she said.

2021 was looking at a range of options surrounding the proposed building and would go public with its preferred position soon.

"These range from sprucing up the existing building in Tuam St (pictured above) through to choosing a new location in the city or perhaps a more decentralised model  putting council back into the community by utilising land and holdings the council already has," Dr Woods said.

The civic building debate will come back to a full council meeting tomorrow, with councillors being asked to formalise a request by Vbase, the company responsible for the project, to widen its search for a new building site.

Initially the Orion site was announced as the council's preferred site, but detailed investigation revealed potentially costly and time-consuming issues around it.

Council corporate services manager Roy Baker said councillors were being asked to accept a recommendation to widen the site search within the central city by shifting the western boundary from the Avon River to Rolleston Ave.

Vbase was also being asked to look at the feasibility of including a new bus exchange as part of the development. He said the Orion site would still be considered

Dr Woods said the public felt they had not been given an opportunity to have a say about the development.

"The election will be the time when the community do feel they have a chance," she said.

Dr Woods said if she became mayor, she was prepared to overturn earlier council decisions to do with the proposed civic offices if the public believed they were the wrong ones.

"As long as it is not going to cost a lot of money. If it is going to be hugely costly, we need to take that into account. This is the people's money and it needs to be managed responsibly. I don't think people buy the line this is going to be rates neutral. If you borrow money you have to pay it back eventually."

·
WoyaoDaJb
941 Posts
Reduce cost reduce cost reduce cost............They have become the slaves of money!!! Which entreprener in the history has become successful because he/she was successful at reducing the cost of production to a minimum, no one, they all successed because of fearless investment and let the money work for THEM.

·
12 Solo's so far!
2,593 Posts
Don't forget the US Space Shuttle was built by the lowest bidder! :)

·
to fly
1,316 Posts
Political Buildings

What basically needs to happen, and this applies to the whole country is political buildings exercing some kind of political function need to find the balance between looking grand (like the sorts you see in Europe) whilst also not irking the ire of the taxpayer who may shun any attempt to create some sort of palace for bureaucrats. We need some nice looking political building development and if the Government was so eager to dispense a great amount of money on that defunct Waterfront Stadium I am sure with the right thinking New Zealand can have some monuments that we can be proud of.

For example, which looks better, the http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mairie_de_Paris, (without us going too frilly with architectural decoration), or some councils buildings in Auckland/Christchurch nudged between uniconic buildings ?

From that question, which would you most want to go to, take pleasure in looking at, participate in, work with etc. etc.

·
A Christchurch Son
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
See this is turning into a political hotpotato for the mayroal elecitons :bash:

·
A Christchurch Son
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really think it is about getting the site right. I have been looking around at other cities civic buildings - we don't need something iconic, just good looking, practical, tall and reflective of the wonderful city CHC is :)

·
A Christchurch Son
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where do you think they should build Kiss, or redevelop and what would you see as being essential to a civic site?

·
WoyaoDaJb
941 Posts
Well. orion site is pretty sweet, otherwise, somewhere near the city library woud be nice, i just really like the atomsphere of that area.

·
A Christchurch Son
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This thread should get HOT soon - it would be easier not to loose if we had SUBFORUMS for the 3 main cities.

·
A Christchurch Son
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Mayor has stressed again saying there is no other option than to build a new Civic Centre!:banana:

Mr Parker agrees.

Perhaps we could get Mr Branson to build it :lol:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Perhaps they could FINALLY release some goddamn information about it haha!

Seriously, it's been years now and we don't even have so much as a site!

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
i vaguely remember that when the Auckland got it's new civic building some years ago (10 years ago maybe?) - I remember there being a huge stink about it. Paul Holmes did an article on it on his famed tv show.

So if Auckland council got so much stick for building what I thought was a fairly basic but sizeable office block, then I'd hate to think what is going to happen if the CCC build some massive grandoise tower?

·
A Christchurch Son
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Perhaps the could just build a goddamn building jesus! The amount of fluffing around in this country is quite phenomenal, never have I experienced another place where wasting time seems to be the meaning of life[/QUOTE

Fluffing....I haven't heard that in ages..........:lol:

·
A Christchurch Son
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Houston City Hall

I've come across this picture and thought it might be worth looking and seeing what other cities in the world have for their City Halls.

Not my favorite - but this is for the 4th largest city in the USA! I'm sure there is a modern extension somewhere.

1 - 20 of 193 Posts