Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Go drink a six-pack!
Go Bills.
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Behold their majesty and grace! Imagine the acre-feet of Genesee Cream Ale collectively consumed in Cheektowaga's summer living rooms between Memorial Day and Labor Day ...

(In local vernacular, screened garages are called "Polish Porches", because they're so prevalent in Cheektowaga. It could be a somewhat offensive subject line, though.)

·
Frustrated Male Model
475 Posts
A mission-style Polish Porch... I can die now, because I've officially seen it all.

·
Told you so...
4,014 Posts
Make fun of them all you want, but they are damn comfortable in the summer. When my grandparents lived here (Bethford area of Hamburg) they sort of had one. I say "sort of" because all it consisted of was a picnic table and maybe an old couch (don't quite remember). Not even a TV, yet they would spend practically the entire summer out there.

·
Told you so...
4,014 Posts
Never saw those things in my life. Are those like Sun Rooms?
Sort of but not quite. They're nice if you don't have (or don't want to use) AC but don't quite want to be outside. Sun rooms (or "Florida" rooms as they're often called around here) are more of a winter thing.

What I wonder - do these people pack them up in the winter and park their cars in there? Or have they gone so far with them that they're more or less a permanent second living room? My grandparents used to pack theirs' up as I recall; then again they didn't have much in it to begin with.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Yet another link I find between Cheektowaga and Irondequoit. All of my Great Aunts and Uncles (all in their 80's) live in Irondequoit, all of them Italian, and ALL of them (well, it's like 4, but still) have their garages converted into screened porches. From what I remember, they have a "Regular" garage door that goes down over the screen one durring winter. My neighbors accross the street in Greece, and my godmother who also lives in Greece, had them as well..both used for kids playrooms/ party rooms. My Grandma always does things the "classy" way, and at her ***** and span SPOTLESS house in north Greece, she has a professionaly built screened in porch with closing glass windows, cable TV, telephone couch, chairs, and a dining table. But again, the overwhelming majority of these garage cuncauctions that I've seen in and around Rochester, are in Irondequioit...also in the city.

·
Told you so...
4,014 Posts
weird, glad I don't have to deal with that anymore.
I envy you. It's so gut-wrenchingly difficult to have to see those things. I'd much rather have to spend the whole day in central air with the windows shut because it's too hot outside.

At least that's how I know my grandparents live. What's worse is they're old and they're actually the only ones in my immediate family who enjoy hot weather.
nice Florida rooms
Are you calling the garages Florida rooms?

To my knowledge, a Florida room is just like a fully enclosed patio, only it's a physical room in the house. Usually almost fully windowed on at least two walls with skylights. Probably called a sunroom anywhere else, but different here because we like being weird like that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts