6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Five towers | 1,100 units | up to 40 floors
  • Pre-apps with council and very supportive
  • plots could be split in two with two developers
  • no detailed designs yet
  • includes the site which had boring tripod on it
Welcome to Manchester...from the north!
Triangular plot (Dutton Street/Park Street)

From framework

·
Registered
7,702 Posts
Good good. I’m really looking forward to seeing how this whole area evolves and a few towers here gets the thumbs up. Couple that with more mid-rise in the mould of New Cross and the continuation of Central Manchester evolving in to a European city befitting of the size of Greater Manchester keeps going. I don’t know what point we would judge Manchester to be on the marathon regeneration journey it started in the mid-1990s, but this area is a significant marker along the way.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It will be interesting to see who buys this plot. The architects for the framework were SimpsonHaugh but I'm not sure who has done the pre-apps. And obviously the developer/s will bring in their own.

Whats everyones thoughts and what would people like to see?

·
Registered
27,313 Posts
There are some reasonably decent existing buildings on this site, including this one at the end of Dutton Street. Would be good to see a scheme which layers these into the proposal. Also buildings which define the street edges, not just random towers plonked throughout the site.

·
Registered
7,702 Posts
I think that because there is an established street pattern, buildings will be aligned to the street. I don’t mind there being more in the style of GJS or Trinity, as long as there is mid-rise in the style of New Cross too. I want there to be reason to go there if you don’t live there too, just as there is with Ancoats.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If we’re seeing up to 40 floors, defo not simpsonhaugh if they decide to use glass. A collection of glass towers from DSQ to trinity islands to greengate and then this is too much. Something different please. Maybe it’s the year for a Tim Groom tower. Or some in the style of the gasworks proposal
I agree. I hope something to tie in with the Victorian brick from Strangeways and the use of brick in the developments for Old Brewery Gardens (might have some news on that soon) and Clarion development. If it is SimpsonHaugh then brick towers are a must with a combination of colours. Something similar to Transition (in terms of colours). We know they can do them. We’ve seen them.

Obviously a Tim Groom cluster would be amazing. We’ll have to see.

·
Registered
7,702 Posts
Wishful thinking I know, but I hope Tim Groom Architects design the lot.
I would love to see what a single architect & developer could do with a whole district, if given a large enough area and a blank sheet of paper. My mind wanders to Grainger Town in Newcastle, which is not far off the size of the area covered by this whole framework. I’m not suggesting repeating anything in the style of Grainger Town (as beautiful as it is), but creating a district with a uniformity of style with nice squares.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts