Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 4458 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Italcementi to setup cement grinding unit in Chennai

source

As part of its expansion plans, a 5,500 tonne-per-day clinker unit will be built at the company's plant in Yerraguntla, a statement said. This will be operational in 2008. A grinding unit will come up in Chennai and a captive power plant as well, both to be ready in 2007.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Chennai airport

Yea.. I understand that the Hindu article was analyzing the situation, but I really want Madras to have a kicka$$ airport that would blow B'lore and Hyd out of the water... don't want to be stuck with something because the freakin' communists want a govt. built airport for Calcutta and we get bundled along with that. I wish Reliance takes up Chennai airport.

- KC

·
Registered
6,453 Posts
metalfan said:
Yea.. I understand that the Hindu article was analyzing the situation, but I really want Madras to have a kicka$$ airport that would blow B'lore and Hyd out of the water... don't want to be stuck with something because the freakin' communists want a govt. built airport for Calcutta and we get bundled along with that. I wish Reliance takes up Chennai airport.

- KC
Good idea.
That gives Reliance an opportunity to prove their worth.
That gives us three world class airports in the South, under an hour's flying distance from each other! :)

·
unBANNED
4,165 Posts
Building airports just because other cities are getting a brand new one perhaps is not the right way of looking at things. There need to be more reason than that.

I think the problem with the Chennai airport is two fold. One is runway traffic. The other, overcrowding in the smallish terminals.

The latter can easily be sorted for reasonably lower budget by building a new terminal as stated in the article but how about the additional runway ? Will it be able to hold on to airtraffic in about 5 years time ?

I wish they would spend more effort into land aquisition aswell if they want to stick with the existing one. This might prove to be a more practical and affordable solution. The present airport has some hidden advantages. It is well connected with the city. It is on the NH, broadguage and the EMU line. Expanding the propsed metro is also relatively easy. It will be very hard to find other sites that are well integrated with rail/road traffic, without having to restore to expensive alterations with the existing road/rail network.

However, if land aquisition ( for additional runway ) sounds impossible, then constructing a totally new airport is indeed well worth considering.

·
Registered
282 Posts
visited wipro already. hats off 2 u old man .

Source

sorry . no english version available as of now.

Judish Raj said:
Kalaingar visiting Wipro and Infosys today. Hope he will bring big ticket investment (at least make them announce :jk: )

·
Registered
346 Posts
You all might have seen an unfinished building of around 10 Storeyed near Gemini Flyover adjacent to Parsn Manere, which was lying like that for may be around 8 years now.

Work of renovationg that is going on now.

·
>>>>>>>>>>>∞
1,444 Posts
Judish Raj said:
You all might have seen an unfinished building of around 10 Storeyed near Gemini Flyover adjacent to Parsn Manere, which was lying like that for may be around 8 years now.

Work of renovationg that is going on now.
I think it was built by a company owned by former PM, Narasimha Rao's son but it was held up due to some scam or something. The building was to house a hotel. Not very sure though. Wonder what will come up in it....

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
nashcode said:
I think it was built by a company owned by former PM, Narasimha Rao's son but it was held up due to some scam or something. The building was to house a hotel. Not very sure though. Wonder what will come up in it....

The building construction was suspended due to the great Indian Bank Scam.
Gemini Group owns it now. There may be a corporate hospital coming up there.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Fusionist said:
Building airports just because other cities are getting a brand new one perhaps is not the right way of looking at things. There need to be more reason than that.

I think the problem with the Chennai airport is two fold. One is runway traffic. The other, overcrowding in the smallish terminals.

The latter can easily be sorted for reasonably lower budget by building a new terminal as stated in the article but how about the additional runway ? Will it be able to hold on to airtraffic in about 5 years time ?

I wish they would spend more effort into land aquisition aswell if they want to stick with the existing one. This might prove to be a more practical and affordable solution. The present airport has some hidden advantages. It is well connected with the city. It is on the NH, broadguage and the EMU line. Expanding the propsed metro is also relatively easy. It will be very hard to find other sites that are well integrated with rail/road traffic, without having to restore to expensive alterations with the existing road/rail network.

However, if land aquisition ( for additional runway ) sounds impossible, then constructing a totally new airport is indeed well worth considering.
100% true. Before the scope of Chennai airport's expansion and modernization plans are finalized, it is imperative to verify whether the current location/land available is scalable to a traffic of atleast 50 million anual passengers. If yes, I would say that expansion of the current airport would be a better option. The location and local connectivity would be better. And even with an investment of around Rs. 1800 crores (approximately the same investment as the new airports in Hyd and Blr), a lot more can be achieved since the airport is not being built from scratch. But if the current location cannot cater to the expansion, then the efforts to implement a new airport should start ASAP.

·
R2IChennai
1,321 Posts
We dont need swanky buildings and cool looking terminal, All we need is pretty neat and functional airport with modern facilities, Investment in Runways and land acquisition is the prime need. Lets hope for good.

·
Registered
248 Posts
skyscrapers

Talking about skyscrapers, looks like Hyderabad is kicking some serious butt...

http://skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=361754

I really wish we can spruce up the Parrys area with swanky skyscrapers and have a downtown like atmosphere there. I really wonder why we have a long line of shops in Burma bazaar. Only wish we could have a multistoreyed complex (with each level dedicated to something e.g. electronics, music, jewellery, luggage etc.) and move all the vendors there.

- KC

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Mold-tek to setup packaging unit near chennai

source....

Mold-Tek Technologies Ltd is finalising plans for a Rs 10-crore technology campus near Hyderabad and a packaging unit in Tamil Nadu with an outlay of Rs 8 crore.

The demand for additional capacity and new areas of pharma packaging had prompted the company to plan an additional unit. "We are in the process of finalising plans for a new facility near Chennai," he said.

·
Registered
386 Posts
The one that you are talking about is a little bit south from the flyover
on way to teynampet junction. It was a 7 Star Hotel that was half built by Balaji Group and was grounded for several years and is now being taken over by Lalit Suri's group Grand group of hotels.

nashcode said:

·
Registered
386 Posts
One of their tasks should be to remove the smell of bleaching powder from
the aero bridges.

R2IChennai said:
We dont need swanky buildings and cool looking terminal, All we need is pretty neat and functional airport with modern facilities, Investment in Runways and land acquisition is the prime need. Lets hope for good.

·
Registered
35 Posts
metalfan said:
Talking about skyscrapers, looks like Hyderabad is kicking some serious butt...

http://skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=361754

I really wish we can spruce up the Parrys area with swanky skyscrapers and have a downtown like atmosphere there. I really wonder why we have a long line of shops in Burma bazaar. Only wish we could have a multistoreyed complex (with each level dedicated to something e.g. electronics, music, jewellery, luggage etc.) and move all the vendors there.

- KC
If u r talking about a downtown area, parrys would not be a suitable place given its congestion and the cost of acquiring land.

·
Registered
47 Posts
new hope to tire II citys

Software major Infosys on Thursday committed Rs 1,250 crore (Rs 12.5 billion) to expand operations in Chennai.
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M Karunanidhi visited the Infosys and Wipro campuses seeking more investments.

Karunanidhi, accompanied by Union Telecom and IT Minister Dayanidhi Maran, visited the headquarters of Wipro and the Nasdaq-listed Infosys and held discussions with top officials of the two firms.

Asked if he sought more investment from Wipro, where he met its chairman Azim Premji, he said, "That's why I have come here".

Infosys director, Human Resources, T V Mohandas Pai, said the company's largest campus (125 acres) is coming up at Mahindra City in Chennai.

"We have told the (Tamil Nadu) government that we will have 25,000 jobs in Mahindra City in the next three-four years. We already have about 3,500 people working there. This year, we will hire 5,000 people in Tamil Nadu," he said.

Pai said the company has committed to invest Rs 1,250 crore to expand its Chennai operations. "This year, we will have invested Rs 350 crore (in Chennai) by the end of the year".

Maran said that the Chief Minister, who also holds the IT portfolio, wanted to personally look at the way both companies 'have changed Bangalore' and requested the two firms to invest more in Tamil Nadu and also look at Tier-II cities - Madurai, Coimbatore, Trichy and Tirunelveli - to start operations.

Karunanidhi promised that he would give all support and help them to speed up their projects, "which are going through some hurdles," according to Maran.

"They (Wipro and Infosys) have given a positive response and will definitely consider it (expanding operations in Tamil Nadu and look at tier-II cities)", he said.

Karunanidhi, who was also accompanied by the state's Industry Secretary Shaktikant Das and IT Secretary C Chandramouli, wanted to come to Bangalore and visit IT

facilities "so that when he has got a lot of plans to develop Tamil Nadu (in the IT sector), he wants to develop the state similarly and in fact, better than this (Bangalore)", the Union Minister said.

Tamil Nadu is evaluating the feasibility of setting up an IT park in Hosur, some 40 km from Bangalore, to see whether the state would be able to attract IT investment, state government officials said.

Asked if other cities are growing faster than Bangalore in the IT sector, Pai said, "Yes, Chennai is growing faster, Hyderabad is growing faster. Chennai has great scope."

1 - 20 of 4458 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.