SkyscraperCity banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
2001 - 2020 of 4458 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
found this on the net-5 months back......

Is BenQ considering a mobile phone plant in TN?
BenQMobile may set up a manufacturing unit in India next year.

BenQ had proposed to set up a manufacturing facility in the country in 2004. It sent a delegation to Chennai to look into the facilities available, but stalled further action following its tie-up with Siemens.

G. Prasanna Kumar, business head, Sales and Marketing Communications, BenQ India Pvt. Ltd. said that the company had planned to set up the facility in Chennai but had temporarily dropped the idea.

“We are serious about setting up the manufacturing unit in India, but not this year. We might come up with this plan next year,” he told CyberMedia News.
dated august ,2006

http://www.ciol.com/ciol-techportal/Content/Mobility/News/2006/2060807654.asp

·
Registered
154 Posts
orr

The Hindu, Jan 2007

Pls see the news below which came in the Hindu two years ago, ( Jan 2005)
taking 50 meter along the ORR is of no use since this will not allow the real development to take placeonly small sized projects can been seen on road,that to there will be political influence on this 50 meter land.
in HYDERABAD,BANGALORE only on the proposed ORR there is major projects proposed.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Lemminkäinen to build EUR 17 mln logistics centre for Nokia

Finnish construction group Lemminkäinen said in a statement Monday it had signed a contract worth 17 million euros covering the design and construction of a logistics centre for Nokia in India.

The centre is to be built in an industrial park set up by Nokia near Chennai in southern India.

"The Indian construction market is growing strongly. Lemcon has set up a company in India to serve Finnish and other western clients as they invest in the country," said in the statement Matti Mantere, the chief executive of Lemcon.

http://newsroom.finland.fi/stt/showarticle.asp?intNWSAID=14692&group=Business

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Delphi-TVS plant update...

http://www.domain-b.com/companies/companies_d/delphi_tvs_diesel/20070108_construct.html

Rotary diesel fuel injection pump manufacturer Delphi TVS Diesel Systems Limited will soon start construction work for its new common rail diesel injection (CRDI) plant at Oragadam, near Chennai.

The 2.5-lakh unit plant, the company's third factory, being put up at an investment of Rs350 crore is expected to start commercial production at the end of this calendar year. The plant will also make common rail components for exports. "We have taken possession of the 40 acres (cost around Rs8 crore) where the new plant will come up," says vice president finance and company secretary, M N Subramanian.

In addition, the plant will also manufacture unit pump common rail to be fitted in three and four wheeler engines. The pump will make the BS 3 and Euro IV complaint engines.
----------------
According to Chopra the company will also make unit pump common rail and mechanical unit pumps at its existing Mannur facility near Chennai.

·
Nocturnal...!!!!
4,949 Posts

·
Banned
3,084 Posts
Honda plans Rs 2,000cr 2nd plant in Rajasthan

http://www.business-standard.com/common/storypage_c_online.php?leftnm=11&bKeyFlag=IN&autono=19359

If this is true, It will be a huge blow (4th in a row after GM,Volk and Tata) to Chennai and TN . But the official announement from Honda is not in... so still hoping.
This is the first automobile project in Rajasthan.It is also near to NCR area as well as Gurgaon which is a strong automobile manufacturing area as well as Honda seil located here.The chief minister of Rajasthan Mrs. Vasundhara Raje has personally taken efforts to get this project at any cost.It is no wonder if Rajasthan, which is also part of India, gets this prestigious Japanese automobile mfg company.Mind u we were earlier complacent on IT industry thinking that TN with good infrastructure and highly skilled work force churned out by 250 odd Engg colleges will automatically attract the IT/ ITes
industries but most of them located in Bangalore, Hyderabad and Pune.That was the thinking in most part of the 1990's.Realisation dawned only after 1999 but we lost out the advantage to Bangalore .Again we should not be complacent by often proclaiming that Chennai is the Detroit of India.The chief Minister shud move out to meet the represntatives of MNCs.He is the face of the State.

·
Keep On Movin Now!
1,284 Posts
IMO, having big names in the automobile industry is a nice and all but they are not the ones that provide bulk of employment. It is the auto ancillary units/suppliers that do it. As long as TN maintains its growth (~30% pa) in auto field, i would'nt be too worried about global car makers not making to the state.

·
Registered
671 Posts
IMO, having big names in the automobile industry is a nice and all but they are not the ones that provide bulk of employment. It is the auto ancillary units/suppliers that do it. As long as TN maintains its growth (~30% pa) in auto field, i would'nt be too worried about global car makers not making to the state.
Ancilliaries goes where there prime customers are.

·
Registered
380 Posts

Willy,

I agree with you partly regarding the component manufacturers part and how it helps TN to be competitive. But it will not last long unless their clients (big auto manufacturers) are located close to them. All the component manufacturers including Rane group are here because of big industries like Ashok leyland, TVS motors, Avadi tank factory , ICF etc. It has always been the case for any industry. Recent example - Nokia acts as anchor and attracts all the vendor and suppliers around it. Same thing for SEMIndia project or Reliance petrochemicals attracting downstream industries.Honda has it own set of suppliers and most of them are located around the Honda plants all over the world.

If Honda chooses TN, it will bring not only some new group of suppliers but also other Japanese industries.
(Hyundai has created the ecosystem for the Korean companies from diffrent industries like auto component, electronics,

ship building etc..). Bottom line TN cannot afford to lose projects like HONDA.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Tata has proposed to have manufacturing plant for its one lakh car in all four regions, for the southern region it hasnt announced its decision yet.
I meant Tata-Fiat project.

Unfortunately Anniyan, We lost Tata small car project also. I dont recall Tata team visting TN for car project.

Tata's small car project locations are as follows

Singur (W Bengal), Maharastra, Uttranchal, Karnataka in South India.

Pls, Check the following links which projects Karnatka as the 4th location

http://www.deccanherald.com/deccanherald/apr242006/index2050402006423.asp
http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/2005/06/11/stories/2005061100891700.htm
http://www.indianexpress.com/sunday/story/4332.html
www.tata.com/tata_motors/media/20060811.htm

Tata Motors already owns land in Dharwad, where it manufactures land excavators, and the Karnataka government is said

to be in talks with Tata Motors to get a piece of the action on the Rs 1-lakh car project.

BUT LET US NOT GIVE HOPE on HONDA. It is financially strong company with strong focus on quality and R & D efforts unlike GM and Volks which grew into giants because of US and German subsidies. Short GM and Volks stock if you are into trading.(No, I dont hate them. I just dont think they can regain their past glory)

·
Keep On Movin Now!
1,284 Posts
Willy,

All the component manufacturers including Rane group are here because of big industries like Ashok leyland, TVS motors, Avadi tank factory , ICF etc. It has always been the case for any industry. Recent example - Nokia acts as anchor and attracts all the vendor and suppliers around it. Same thing for SEMIndia project or Reliance petrochemicals attracting downstream industries.Honda has it own set of suppliers and most of them are located around the Honda plants all over the world.

If Honda chooses TN, it will bring not only some new group of suppliers but also other Japanese industries.
(Hyundai has created the ecosystem for the Korean companies from diffrent industries like auto component, electronics,

ship building etc..). Bottom line TN cannot afford to lose projects like HONDA.
Please check the manufacturing locations of Rane group in my previous post. they have manufacturing facilities all over the country, irrespective of the absence of major carmaker in some of the cities.

Component industries in the field of telecom is understanable because it is a new field and the telecom component suppliers are absent but thats not the case with auto parts. Auto parts can be manufactured in TN and distributed throughout the country.

Bottome line: Maintain the current growth level in auto sector with or without honda.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Please check the manufacturing locations of Rane group in my previous post. they have manufacturing facilities all over the country, irrespective of the absence of major carmaker in some of the cities.

Component industries in the field of telecom is understanable because it is a new field and the telecom component suppliers are absent but thats not the case with auto parts. Auto parts can be manufactured in TN and distributed throughout the country.

Bottome line: Maintain the current growth level in auto sector with or without honda.
You dont seem to get my point. All the Rane's facilities are close to their client locations (not in Nagaland or Gujarat and many other states because they do not have direct clients in those states). All of Rane's clients are not in Auto industry. Example: SFL (Sundram Fastners) not only supplies Radiator caps to GM but many other mechanical components to different industries. Check out Rane's clients in the links you sent. Rane's locations are chosen for a purpose - catering to their clients (mostly big manufacturers) demands and not for charity reasons. No business functions like that.

Do you know how much it will cost to manufacture in one location and distribute throughout the country with sky rocketing petrol prices. Why would a manufacturer incur additional charges of transporting components from vendors in the age of just in time inventory?

Finally to your answer your Bottome line comment

The current growth level (%) in auto sector (auto components) cannot be maintained, if we keep losing the big ticket projects. 30% share will go down to less than 10% in next decade. Maybe the same volume, but not the same growth.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
m&m r and d centre in chennai

india is set to make better quality cars. That’s because many carmakers have more than doubled their R&D spends and personnel over the past few years. CNBC-TV18 has more.

In-house developed new generation engines. High-end embedded systems. Computer Aided Engineering. Indian carmakers are pulling out the stops to offer globally competitive products. Maruti almost trebled its R&D staff to 270 from 100 and added two divisions in four years.

Jagdish Khattar, MD of Maruti Udyog says, “Suzuki has indicated that Maruti has to play a much bigger role in the R&D area.”

General Motors has similar plans. In 2003 it invested USD 21 million in a Technical Centre in Bangalore with 200 engineers. Today it has 600 engineers and 100 scientists on its R&D team in India, the Asia-Pacific and the parent company.

Rajeev Chaba, President & CEO of GM India says, “We are moving up the value chain pretty fast and we have started participating in design, styling and manufacturing engineering.”

Low costs, quality talent and an emerging market are some reasons why India has become an attractive R&D destination for big global carmakers. Indian companies are also fast boosting R&D capabilities and a key objective is innovation.

Tata Motors' R&D spend rose from Rs 92 crore in fiscal 2001 to Rs 270 crore last year. M&M, whose R&D team filed 9 patents since March 2005, has 850 R&D engineers, up from 450, 2 years ago.
It will build "Asia's innovation capital", a 100-million dollar R&D Centre in Chennai. Ashok Leyland will boost its R&D engineer numbers to 1,000 from 450, in 2 years. All that's bound to make India a manufacturing hub and a high class one, too.
http://news.moneycontrol.com/india/news/business/autocars/indiagearedtobemanufacturinghubasia/market/stocks/article/260491

·
Nocturnal...!!!!
4,949 Posts
I meant Tata-Fiat project.

Unfortunately Anniyan, We lost Tata small car project also. I dont recall Tata team visting TN for car project.

Tata's small car project locations are as follows

Singur (W Bengal), Maharastra, Uttranchal, Karnataka in South India.

Pls, Check the following links which projects Karnatka as the 4th location

http://www.deccanherald.com/deccanherald/apr242006/index2050402006423.asp
http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/2005/06/11/stories/2005061100891700.htm
http://www.indianexpress.com/sunday/story/4332.html
www.tata.com/tata_motors/media/20060811.htm

Tata Motors already owns land in Dharwad, where it manufactures land excavators, and the Karnataka government is said

to be in talks with Tata Motors to get a piece of the action on the Rs 1-lakh car project.

BUT LET US NOT GIVE HOPE on HONDA. It is financially strong company with strong focus on quality and R & D efforts unlike GM and Volks which grew into giants because of US and German subsidies. Short GM and Volks stock if you are into trading.(No, I dont hate them. I just dont think they can regain their past glory)
Tata is considering heavy vehicle plant in TN, its car plant will probably go to KAR. Toyota also might expand in KAR.

·
Goodman
259 Posts
Just got back to Chennai. Has NHAI ambandoned the kathipara project, i see no progress since i left, nor did i spot a single machine on the site. A sweaty bunch of labourers were moving earth in bowls :(
:applause: Very encouraging. Probably they haven't acquired the land for the project.
Oh my god . I am bewildered by the lack of alacrity with which the projects are being executed in TN. I am not comapring with any other city here. Delay in the project causes a steep escalation in costs. Its just waste of our tax money.
main infrastructure projects in chennai:
IT expressway-delayed.
MRTS- delayed.
Metro rail-delayed.
ORR-delayed for a decade.
Airport- god only knows when it will start.
Elevated expressway- non starter.
automated parking garages- non starter.
flyovers over anna salai- non starter.etc. etc. etc.
Water supply- sucks. though we may be getting water now due to heavy rain, the water quality is as good as cooum water mixed with sewage.
How can we call ourselves an IT, auto and electronics hub when we don't have any basic infrastrucutre.

2001 - 2020 of 4458 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.