SkyscraperCity banner

421 - 440 of 603 Posts

·
ВANNED
7,777 Posts
Something that caught my eye in that article:

Her son will soon be an engineer, but her daughter is a school dropout. “But, she went to school for many years,” she assured. “I’ve never gone to one. I started picking garbage when I was 12 years old. My husband and I made sure that our children don’t step in here,” she said.
What an achievement by this wonderful couple!! Their son is gonna be an engineer now..

Would like to salute the grit and resolve of this couple. :applause:

·
Registered
902 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts

·
ВANNED
7,777 Posts
Chennai, a pioneer in recycling wastewater

Even as several countries lack data on reuse of wastewater, Metro Water officials claim that Chennai is the pioneer in utilising treated wastewater for industrial use.

A study by Japan’s Tottori University and the United Nations University’s Canadian-based Institute for Water, Environment and Health (UNU-INWEH) claims that almost one-third of nations have zero information on the reuse of waste water. However, Chennai’s Metro Water officials say that they are currently providing 45 Million Litres per Day (MLD) of treated water to industries.

We are also planning to generate 60 MLD of additional treated water to be supplied to Sriperumbudur Industrial Estate, which is a hub of industrial activities, in the outskirts of the city,” says a Metro Water official.

He adds that a detailed report for the project is likely to be completed within two months. But, experts want Metro Water to do more. S Janakarajan, professor of Madras Institute of Development Studies (MIDS), feels that recycling is important for conservation of water. He says water management is complete only when we reuse water.

Metro Water is using very little reused water. It is hardly five per cent of it, despite so many treatment plants being set up,” says Janakarajan, whose institute has undertaken a project on ‘Sustaining the ecology of Chennai and its peri-urban Areas: A Long term Strategy Document for Water Conservation’ funded by the Department of Science and Technology, Government of India.

Even the policymakers abroad are looking at treated wastewater for farming and other purposes. An international study predicts a rapid increase in the use of treated wastewater for farming and other purposes worldwide. This, according to the study, is in the wake of growing competition for fresh water from industry and cities, coupled with a rising world shortage of potash, nitrogen and phosphorus.

But the biggest issue is lack of awareness about treated wastewater in Indian cities, says Janakarajan. He says many cities in India are not treating their wastewater. However, lack of awareness about treated wastewater is a global phenomenon. The international study states that of the 181 countries studied, only 55 have information on three key aspects of wastewater: generation, treatment, and reuse. Another 69 countries have data on one or two aspects, 57 countries show no information on any aspect.

Water demands already exceed supplies in regions with more than 40 per cent of the world’s population and in just 12 years, as much as 60 per cent of the world’s people may face water scarcity.

Synthesising data on wastewater treatment, the study shows that on an average, high-income countries treat 70 per cent of the generated wastewater, upper-middle-income countries treat 38 per cent and lower-middle-income countries treat 28 per cent. Just eight per cent of wastewater generated in low-income countries undergoes any kind of treatment. Only about 32 per cent of the wastewater generated in Asia is treated.

It is claimed that wastewater is used for 1.5 per cent to 6.6 per cent of the global irrigated area of 301 million hectare area (1.2 million square miles) and that about 10 per cent of world food is produced using wastewater. However, according to the study, there is little data to support such claims.

In developing countries, particularly in water scarce countries, wastewater volumes are thought to have increased substantially in recent years due to rural-urban migration. Many farmers in water scarce developing countries irrigate with wastewater because it is the only water source available for irrigation year-round and wastewater irrigation reduces the need for purchasing fertiliser, the study states.

The combination of less freshwater allocation to agriculture and growing volumes of urban wastewater, is expected to continue and intensify, particularly in water scarce countries.

Agriculture in these countries will increasingly rely on alternative water resources, such as wastewater generated by non-agricultural activities in urban and peri-urban areas.

Under-reporting of wastewater generation, treatment and reuse might relate to fear of economic repercussions in agricultural trade due to concerns regarding food safety and phyto-sanitary measures, the report states.
http://newindianexpress.com/cities/chennai/Chennai-a-pioneer-in-recycling-wastewater/2013/09/10/article1776242.ece

·
Registered
825 Posts
புதிதாக ரூ.7 கோடியில் 16 இயந்திரங்கள் சாலையில் கழிவுநீர் ஓடுவது குறையுமா?
சென்னை:கழிவுநீர் அடைப்பு நீக்கும் பணிக்காக, 7 கோடி ரூபாயில் புதிதாக, 16 இயந்திரங்கள், சென்னை குடிநீர் வாரியத்தில் சேர்க்கப்பட்டுள்ளன.
சென்னை குடிநீர் வாரியத்தில், கழிவுநீர் அகற்றும் பணிக்காக, 3.6 கோடி ரூபாயில், பத்து ஜெட்ராடிங் இயந்திரங்களும், 2.33 கோடி ரூபாயில், ஜெட்டிங் கம் ஜங்ஷன் இயந்திரங்களும் வாங்கப்பட்டுள்ளன.
புதிய வாகனங்கள், வண்ணாரப் பேட்டை, ஆர்.கே.நகர், ராயபுரம், வில்லிவாக்கம், விருகம்பாக்கம், ஆயிரம் விளக்கு, மயிலாப்பூர், சைதாப்பேட்டை, வேளச்சேரி, பெரம்பூர் மற்றும் தி.நகர் பகுதிகளுக்கு, வழங்கப்படும் என, வாரிய அதிகாரிகள் தெரிவித்தனர்.
இந்த ஆண்டில், 5.52 கோடி ரூபாயில், 62 துார்வாரும் இயந்திரங்களும், 2.35 கோடி ரூபாயில், 10 ஜெட்ராடிங் இயந்திரங்களும் வாங்கப்பட்டு, பயன்பாட்டில் உள்ளன.
சென்னையில், எங்கு பார்த்தாலும் சாலைகளில், கழிவுநீர் பெருக்கெடுத்து ஓடுவது வாடிக்கையாக உள்ளது. தற்போது, கூடுதலாக வாகனங்கள் வாங்கப்பட்டுள்ள நிலையில், அவற்றை முறையாக பயன்படுத்தி, சாலைகளில் கழிவுநீர் பெருக்கெடுத்து ஓடுவதை கட்டுப்படுத்த வேண்டும்’ என, கோரிக்கை எழுந்துள்ளது.

·
Registered
19,079 Posts
Towards a zero-trash home

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/chennai/chen-downtown/towards-a-zerotrash-home/article5137489.ece

Charitra Parthasarathy, Sowmya Mahadevan, Meenakshi Sriram, Radhika Rammohan

Workshops:

Pdfs of presentations made at Clean Chennai @ Home workshops in Adyar (Sep 7) and Nungambakkam (Sep 8)

Composting by Navneeth Raghavan

Garbage segregation by Navneeth Raghavan

Managing garbage effectively by Srinivas Krishnaswamy & Preethi Sukumaran

Here is a quick guide to start composting and recycling: http://thne.ws/cc-fridgesheet

For more information, please follow:

http://thne.ws/mychennai

facebook.com/chennaicentral

twitter.com/chennaicentral

Mail us at [email protected]

·
ВANNED
7,777 Posts
The Chennai Corporation is installing three such bio-methanation plants with BARC-developed technology with the construction of the first plant taken up at Pulianthoppe around ten days ago.
Apart from the Chennai Corporation, a bio-methanation plant is also coming up in an Information Technology company at Siruseri in Chennai. It is likely to be commissioned next month.
http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Coimbatore/talks-on-installing-biomethanation-plant-in-kurudampalayam-panchayat/article5174300.ece

·
Registered
10,451 Posts
I have been pained by the reality that why people are throwing the garbage around the bins and not inside the bins at street corners.

We conducted a survey in our area (KB Nagar). We interviewed all the maids & drivers (who dispose them) and some working couples.

The following were the observations.

The major complaint was this
The height of the Bins are more than 5 ft. We are not able to lift the bag and put it inside.

When we observed closely, it was found to be quite true. Maids generally swing & throw the bags but most of them miss the target.

there were a few kids who brought the garbage bags in cycles and they also could not put it inside.

Many bins were overflowing and excess bags fell off.

Dogs jump on to the bins for left overs and in the process, bags fell off onto the ground.

The worst is from educated & working couples. Some treated that bin area as sewer areas and stood a few meters afar and threw.

And we blame it on Corporation & the WM Company.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Why the Govt is not asking the Hotels to do source segregation. They are major contributor to the bulk of the organic waste. If they can segregate and compost their waste 30% of the problem will be addressed.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
In Singapore they are generating electricity with the branches trimmed from the pavement trees. In chennai there are tons of them being sent to dumpyards and set on fire.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I have been pained by the reality that why people are throwing the garbage around the bins and not inside the bins at street corners.

We conducted a survey in our area (KB Nagar). We interviewed all the maids & drivers (who dispose them) and some working couples.

The height of the Bins are more than 5 ft. We are not able to lift the bag and put it inside.

When we observed closely, it was found to be quite true. Maids generally swing & throw the bags but most of them miss the target.

there were a few kids who brought the garbage bags in cycles and they also could not put it inside.

Dogs jump on to the bins for left overs and in the process, bags fell off onto the ground.

The worst is from educated & working couples. Some treated that bin area as sewer areas and stood a few meters afar and threw.

Kannan sir, as far as I have observed the highlighted is the actual issue. People do not want to go near the bin and in most cases the surroundings of the bin is a very bad condition. I don't think bin height is the core issue.

·
Registered
10,451 Posts
Kannan sir, as far as I have observed the highlighted is the actual issue. People do not want to go near the bin and in most cases the surroundings of the bin is a very bad condition. I don't think bin height is the core issue.
Since they are throwing around, they can not go near the bins.

If everybody does it properly, then the place will be neat.

We also asked what they would do if the bin is full. Almost 95% (including our maid) said that they will keep the garbage bags near the bin on the ground.

Only a few - two families told that they will keep them in the car and when they go out, put them in some other bins where space is there.

One old retired man said that " I take that as an Op to walk some extra distance. It helps to reduce my sugar".

It is just our attitude. We have to walk the extra mile.

·
Registered
191 Posts
^^ IMO , Actual problem in india is the size of the trash bin and people dont use trash bags they just throw things as it is and since they are loose they get out or fall down while putting and makes the place as mess !!

·
Registered
1,927 Posts

garbage bins according to chennai kudimagans are urinals. Also breeding place for mosquitoes - that keeps our population in check.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Instead of keeping the bins in a corner of a road / street, they should be kept in front of the houses itself so that people will be mindful of what they are doing...they will start using the bin the way it has to be lest, the stink n rubbish will reach their doorstep.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Garbage disposal System in Japan -

To share my thoughts:

I have lived in Japan for more than 10 years. The way Japanese people dispose the garbage is adorable.

Social lessons in the schools:

Most of you are all well said in your threads THAT it is all about citizens attitude and responsibility. Kids in most of the developed nations spend extra hours in the schools itself to learn about "Social responsibilities" such as "how to dispose the garbage,how to behave in public transport,how to use toilets,how to respect elderly people and give seat in the buses/trains to disabled people,how to cross the roads etc etc etc ( which includes not to take bribe also).

SO it all begins from schools. But in our country, Students murder principal and some auto drivers kill reputed Doctor on the broad day light and no passers-by helped him to save the Doctor.

I also see that some of the students come to TAASMAC after school. If this is the status of our young generation, you and me are not safe in the future ,and only GOD saves our country.

OK going back to our garbage topic:

Basically, there are few points which differ from the way we Indians do.

1/ "keep the surroundings clean" attitude should come in the blood.

2/ In Japan, they segregate waste such as bottles,bins,burnable waste,non burnable waste.In India,we have only one common dustbin for everything. So obviously it overflows within days.

3/ Accordingly separate dust bins are placed so that people can segregate the garbage by themselves before disposing. While walking, if you have finished your "Bingo chips" with a "Coke can", you see a next dust bin in next few meters, dispose the Polythene cover in the non-burnable box,throw the "plastic coke can" in the bottles/bin box. So, you separate the waste by yourself by disposing each waste in specific dust bin. Not all in one dust bin.

FOUR:

4/ You will see a complete set of "burnable,non-burnable,bottles/bin" dustbin combo in every 100 meter/200 meter. In our country, even though if you want to throw the garbage, you don't see dustbin in the vicinity. So people just throw on the road (unless you want to carry all the way and dispose it to next dustbin available. Interestingly, Japanese people does this. It is funny to me. :eek:hno:

IT IS THERE WHEN YOU LOOK FOR IT.

5/ It is compulsory that all the shops should place the dustbin(again, it is not a single dustbin but a set of dustbins for each burnable/non burnable/bottles/bin etc) in front of their shops/complex. By doing so, their customers can dispose the waste after segregating(For instance,in MacDonald,customers can dispose the papers,plastic cups/straws and unfinished food in separate dustbin). You will see such a similar dustbin arrangement in coffee shops like starbucks,convenient stores,commercial complexes,theatres,parks,bus stands etc.). So people don't find it difficult to dispose the waste as and when they want to.

6/ TIMING AND DAY SPECIFIC DISPOSAL FOR RESIDENTIAL BUILDINGS:

There is a time slot and schedule for garbage disposal and collection also. So you don't dispose everything everyday. For ex., Bottles and Pet bottles can be disposed on Thursdays and will be collected on the same day by corporation.By scheduling the disposal and garbage collection, people don't throw the bottles everyday and dustbin overflows within a day and littered around the dustbin. They keep the bottles until Thursday and Thursday morning, all the apartment residents dispose the bottles only on that day. It is a part of their social awareness program,they think.

The above practice is in place in Singapore(I lived there 3 years) also. Most of the developed/developing nations(China,Thailand etc.) follow the similar practice.So it is not just Japan.

In India, we have a long way to go to keep the environment clean BUT it is possible if we have a will.

Separate Dust bin for each category:

In the Car Parking Lot on the National Highway:

RULES TO DISPOSE:

SCHEDULE FOR DISPOSAL:

SPECIAL GARBAGE TRUCKS:

·
Registered
10,451 Posts
^^ IMO , Actual problem in india is the size of the trash bin and people dont use trash bags they just throw things as it is and since they are loose they get out or fall down while putting and makes the place as mess !!
Of late, many have been using thin plastic bags (plastic pollution) since it is more convenient to carry. But they are not closed.

Even the bins are not closed ones. So Dogs are able to ravage the contents.

Even I tried and the height of the bin is a little higher and it is not convenient.

421 - 440 of 603 Posts