SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The City
5,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hanging out in DuPont Circle in Washington today, and I noticed that there are numerous public chessboards in the park. It attracts a lot of players, although I think there is the false perception that it attracts homeless people and drug dealers. I'll admit that there are numerous homeless who play chess, but there are also plenty of college students, professionals, etc.

So this begs the question. Why doesn't Chicago build a few designated chess-playing tables in some of their parks? I see Grant Park as an ideal location for some of these. Hell, if they're already going to build a park for skateboarders and dog-walkers, why not a handful of tables for chessplayers?

·
¾
1,657 Posts
Chicago3rd said:
I know they have that fantastic one just off of North Avenue right on the lakefront.

I have a picture somewhere....will try and locate it.
That’s the best I could find:

It’s my favorite one. Back in the day, when I used to live closer to downtown area, I would go there almost every day and play. Many Russian grandmasters play there, few of them placed in top 20 in US Open in recent years. Too bad they all play for money :(

Unfortunately, I was unable to play chess in recent years, but is anyone up for a friendly game when sun comes out? :happy:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.