Hotel bedrooms: 83

Residential units: 6

Height: 44.62m

Floors: 11

Floorspace: 17,640m (GIA)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Where Prince Charles when you need him? The Grafton Street/New Bond Street corner is very poorly considered, at a minimum there ought to be a step down to the townhouse it sits next to. The general argument here is going to be what's there is terrible so something architecturally sensitive isn't the precedent or imperative here, rather it's maximising the site for what it's worth to the developer who believes a modern scheme here is what's desired most by its clients.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Plus what's the bet that that very clear glass shown in those renders will in reality be green, thus misdirecting the planners and public, and cheapening the look of the development yet further.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Totally inappropriate. This is where Georgian pastiche would actually be acceptable - think Grosvenor Square. Fosters sometimes produce good works, but not always, as here. I' m not against high quality modernism but this looks cheap and unimaginative.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
As with others, the facades look to be far superior architecturally to the current cold boxy building, and fits much better with its upmarket Mayfair context. I'm not sure I would like a whole district filled with buildings like this, though in the mix of Mayfair's varied though rich architectural facades, it appears to fit in.

According to the description the new building has 11 floors, though looking at the images I only count 7. Is there a 4 storey underground megabasement with pools and party rooms etc. down there?

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
It doesn't look glamorous at all, it looks tacky. Just because it has shiny bits doesn't make it luxurious. It's the kind of crap you see in the Gulf. And apart from that one picture of the inside with plants in it what is Art Deco about this building? It's embarrassing to even compare it to great works of the 1920s and '30s.

·
Registered
22,150 Posts
Lots of echoes of Bloomberg in this one, especially the structure at street level. I wish though the facade wasn't as 'long', if there was some reference more to the smaller plots and changing facades that are the neighbouring streets. I see why its a dark brick but lighter window frames would match even better with the style around here, especially the neighbour to the left.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts