Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Excelsior!
20,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the latest in the saga of the former site of the "Chicago Spire"

Exclusive: Two soaring towers planned for long-languishing Chicago Spire site along Lake Shore Drive

Under a proposal developer Related Midwest is expected to unveil at a community meeting Tuesday, a 1,000-foot-tall tower and a slightly smaller but similar 850-foot tower would be erected on the dormant 2.2-acre site at 400 N. Lake Shore Drive, according to city sources familiar with the plans but not authorized to discuss them publicly. The towers would house condos, apartments and a hotel, the sources said.
[...]
The skyscrapers’ design has been led by prominent architect David Childs, a source familiar with the project confirmed.
[...]
The plans call for the 1,000-foot tower to be built on the southern edge of the site along the Chicago River, where an existing riverwalk would be extended through the site to connect with the future DuSable Park, the city sources said. The south tower is expected to include condos and a 175-room hotel.
The 850-foot tower, which is expected to include apartments, would be built on the site’s northern edge along the Ogden Slip, where another existing walkway along the water would be extended to connect to the future park. A podium with lobbies and building amenities would connect the two towers, the city sources said.
Altogether, the structures would total 1.3 million square feet, with up to 850 residential units in addition to the 175 hotel rooms, the sources confirmed.

·
Banished from SSP
536 Posts
I too favor a pair of shorter buildings in this prominent location for better balance and texture in the skyline. I do not like what I see going on in another city on the east coast where very tall pencil-thin buildings are sprouting up in areas where the surrounding structures are 800 feet or more shorter. It looks like they skipped a step. Let's lay in a good base of several new ~800 to 1200-footers first. The 1500 - 2000 footers will come later as available lots become more scarce and valuable, and they'll fit into the skyline mix in a more pleasing fashion.

The only thing I hope for is that these SOM-designed buildings don't have massive sloped sides that make them look as if they're leaning, like what is going on at Hudson Yards. Something like that would look awful in this context.

·
Banished from SSP
536 Posts
I too favor a pair of shorter buildings in this prominent location for better balance and texture in the skyline. I do not like what I see going on in another city on the east coast where very tall pencil-thin buildings are sprouting up in areas where the surrounding structures are 800 feet or more shorter. It looks like they skipped a step. Let's lay in a good base of several new ~800 to 1200-footers first. The 1500 - 2000 footers will come later as available lots become more scarce and valuable, and they'll fit into the skyline mix in a more pleasing fashion.

The only thing I hope for is that these SOM-designed buildings don't have massive sloped sides that make them look as if they're leaning, like what is going on at Hudson Yards. Something like that would look awful in this context.

·
Registered
230 Posts

Nah. 2000ft is good right there

·
Premium Member
15,853 Posts
It looks way bigger than 1000 ft. After all John Hancock tower is higher and it looks smaller on the rendering. Nothing exciting really

Reactions: Alex The Chicagoan

·
Premium Member
38,009 Posts
Looking great!!! such an essence of Dubai style for Chicago skyline

1 - 20 of 80 Posts