SkyscraperCity banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can Skyscrapercity learn from the AP coverage of Rockford's Danica Patrick.....????

Posted on Sun, May. 29, 2005

In Danica's hometown, pride in Illinoisan's strong Indy finish

Associated Press

CHICAGO - People across Illinois hailed the strong showing of Roscoe native Danica Patrick in Sunday's Indianapolis 500, saying her performance proved she'll be a force to be reckoned with in auto racing.

"We're very, very, very happy," said Linda Oldenburg, a bartender at the Whiffletree Tavern in Roscoe, a village of about 6,200 people in northern Illinois. "We hoped she would win first, but we're happy with fourth."

Patrick's finish was the best showing for a woman in Indianapolis 500 history. She became the first woman to lead a lap in the 89-year history of the race, but Englishman Dan Wheldon took the checkered flag after a duel with Patrick late in the contest.

Roscoe residents packed into the Whiffletree and other local bars and cheered as Patrick pulled into first place. At Roscoe's Croc's Pub, there was still a buzz in the air hours after the race ended, manager Steve Lyons said.

"She will eventually win the big one, the Indy," he said. "This is a foretelling of what's to come. She is not just a flash in the pan."

Some residents, including Croc Pub owner Steve Quies, made the five-hour drive to th

e Indianapolis Motor Speedway to watch Sunday's race, Lyons said.

Signs saying "Go Danica!" mixed with the U.S. flags lining streets for Memorial Day. And pride in Patric extended to some menus.

At Meg's Daily Grind, you can order a "Danica's Lucky Charm" - a type of latte with vanilla and creme de menthe. The owners bought the place three years ago from Danica's parents, T.J. and Bev Patrick, who are daily customers.

Patrick started racing go-karts at Sugar River Raceway in Brodhead, Wis., about 30 miles away from Roscoe. When she was 16, Patrick's parents bought her a Mustang, and she proceeded to wear out the brakes and tires every few thousand miles.

Patrick's Illinois fans weren't limited to her hometown.

Several hundred people crowded around large-screen TVs at the ESPN Zone in downtown Chicago Sunday to watch the race. Bar employee Brian Bauer said the crowd overwhelmingly backed Patrick and a roar went up when she briefly grabbed the lead.

"There was cheering for the five straight laps she was in first place," he said. "When she dropped back, it got quiet. There was definitely not a celebration for Wheldon."

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
welcome to Rockford...

okay, this probably won't last......but as it has something to do with roads, cars and drivers.........

it might

Rockford Bob Kravitz
Danica mania to refocus fans on the sport
Remarkable day by female rookie changes the 500 forever.

Flanked by photographers: The media converged on Danica Patrick on Sunday before she could even get her helmet off after the Indianapolis 500 race. The real media crush is just beginning for Patrick, who led several laps and finished fourth. -- Matt Detrich / The Star

• Feedback: What impact will Danica Patrick's showing at the Indy 500 have on the IRL?
The date to remember: Sunday, May 29. The dateline to remember: Indianapolis.

It was on that day, in this place, that open-wheel racing was revived, maybe even saved altogether, by a hard-charging 100-pound bundle of excellence named Danica Patrick.

Before this sun-kissed day dawned, the Indy Racing League was sucking NASCAR's fumes, and open-wheel racing in general was a jumble of competing circuits and no-name competitors. No matter how many times the shills kept screaming, "It's the greatest spectacle in racing," it didn't change the fact the event had lost a lot of its luster since The Split.

But by the time the sun slowly crept below the top of Indianapolis Motor Speedway bleachers, all that had changed. In one unforgettable afternoon filled with heart-rending racing and endless twists of fate and fortune, all that had changed.

Her name is Danica.

Just one name is necessary now.

Just don't ask the fourth-place finisher in Sunday's spell-binding race to put her performance into some kind of larger historical perspective -- you know, what it means . . .

"Oh, I don't know, I'm just racing," she said with a shrug. "It sounds so goober, but I just don't think about it. I don't know why."

Well, it's not a driver's job to put things into historical context. Her job is to turn left. It's up to the rest of us goobers to give perspective.

So here it is: What happened here Sunday was epochal, like the earth's tectonic plates had somehow shifted, changing the landscape of racing altogether.

Patrick can do for her sport what Tiger Woods did for golf.

"Absolutely," said Ken Ungar, the IRL's senior vice president of business affairs. "What something like Danica's performance does is help us cut through the clutter. There's now so many competing demands on the American consciousness, she, along with our other drivers, will help us cut through that clutter."

This wasn't Lyn St. James or Janet Guthrie or Sarah Fisher. They were noble pioneers, but they came and they went, mostly because they never found teams that could make them competitive.

Danica is different. She is not only the real deal, but she is blessed to be part of the Rahal Letterman team. The new face of open-wheel racing will not fade away.

For years, the IRL and open-wheel racing have looked for a name and an identity. Who could summon memories of Mears and Rutherford and Andretti? Sam Hornish Jr.? Dan Wheldon, who won Sunday and happens to be the hottest driver going right now? One of the endless number of Brazilians?

Outside racing's hard-core fans, these people were anonymous. America didn't care. All America wanted to know was, "Hey, when's that NASCAR race on the TV?"

Well, that changed Sunday.

Now watch Danica mania take flight.

The boys on "Pardon the Interruption" will talk about her. The yapping masses on "Around the Horn" will debate her impact on the sport. The radio shows will be filled with talk of how Danica brought 250,000 frenzied fans at the Speedway to their feet, screaming wildly as she took the lead late in the race, trying to survive on a diminishing reservoir of fuel.

"An oh-my-gosh moment," Ungar called it.

"Was I aware?" Patrick asked when questioned about the incredible scene. "I did notice a few people standing, actually. I saw some arms waving. But I was very focused on my race."

This was also an oh-my-gosh moment for the league's marketers. They will deny this to their grave, continually selling the league's other drivers, but now, they've got something they can really sell.

Danica is going to mean increased TV ratings.

Danica is going to mean more national media attention. (Check it out: She was on the front page of Sunday morning's New York Post with the sexist headline "She'll start your engine.")

And Danica, playing the role of Joe Namath for the IRL, is going to mean the ultimate demise of the Champ Car circuit. It's this simple: The IRL has Danica. The Champ Car folks do not.

End of story.

Now the real media crush will begin, even as Ungar insists the IRL will not alter its marketing schemes. That might be true, but it won't stop Patrick's people from answering the telephone.

Soon enough, she may be trading witty bon mots with Regis and Kelly, singing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" at Wrigley -- that's if the Wrigley folks have recovered from Jeff Gordon -- becoming the kind of star, crossover star, this sport so desperately needs.

Patrick got a small taste of the coming media madness Sunday. At the post-race news conference, she was asked nine of every 10 questions, openly uncomfortable at the way the second- and third-place finishers, Vitor Meira and Bryan Herta, were being ignored.

Later, she was taken to the fourth floor of the Pagoda, nearly swallowed by the crowd around her, moving on to do a round of TV interviews. As she spoke, still photographers stood outside the TV booth, shooting away.

Remember the time and remember the place. Danica Patrick didn't just make history this day. She changed it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, I guess Chicago wouldn't want to be associated with such a woman.......

It's way too complex.......

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
a woman from Rockford....hogging the national spotlight.....????

typical Chicago reaction......let's ignore it....because it's not part of our pie/interest....

anyhow, welcome to Rockford....where women race cars........How great when Rockford takes over Chicago.............Imagine your average citizen knowing how to fix a broken crankshaft....

Rockford, as Danica has proven, will offer much more to Chicago than vice-versa...

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think so. Rockfordians are literate, educated AND capabale. Danica is Rockford's ultimate spokesperson.

Your average Chicagoan in Rockford is totally ignorant of not only his/her car, his/her heating system, A/C, plumbing/electricity....etc...

Rockford can teach a lot to clueless Chicagoans. They aren't status seeking (in general) Rockfordians respect ability...............

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Whatever.....

so you can fix your own car???

or do you rely on another class of people to do that for you?

or do you walk and bike everywhere you go?

·
Registered
469 Posts
^ What in the world are you talking about? What does that have to do with anything?Who the hell IS THIS GUY?

The mods will take care of you. I'm done with this.

·
Registered
765 Posts
this was posted even in city vs city. i hate all this small town mentality stuff, where if your city is mentioned in the media, you feel that you have to let the whole world know and then you have the mentality that your city is on the roll now.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JB_Gold Coast said:
^ What in the world are you talking about? What does that have to do with anything?Who the hell IS THIS GUY?

The mods will take care of you. I'm done with this.
like the last time when you called me an asshole.

??

I could care less what the "mods" do to me.

Apparently you see them as some sort of servants, that will do your bidding..

I think I've proved you have no idea how to fix a broken down car. Yet you look down your nose at people in Rockford, the nation's machine tool capital.

Danica would crush you.

Note to mods....I have not called anyone a bad name.......

·
Registered
469 Posts
texasboy said:
this was posted even in city vs city. i hate all this small town mentality stuff, where if your city is mentioned in the media, you feel that you have to let the whole world know and then you have the mentality that your city is on the roll now.
Exactly. Well said. And my main issue with this guy is that he does this all the time, and he posts constantly in the Chicago forum when his articles have everything to do with Rockford, and little or nothing to do with Chicago.

And now we've progressed to the point where that isn't even enough. Now he uses these articles as a platform to insult Chicago because we don't show enough interest. We don't show interest because we don't care. And we don't like this garbage posted in the Chicago forum.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Rockford said:
like the last time when you called me an asshole.

??

I could care less what the "mods" do to me.

Apparently you see them as some sort of servants, that will do your bidding..

I think I've proved you have no idea how to fix a broken down car. Yet you look down your nose at people in Rockford, the nation's machine tool capital.

Danica would crush you.

Note to mods....I have not called anyone a bad name.......
What does that have to do with Chicago again?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dude...

the LARGEST sports event.........during Memorial Day Weekend.....And a Rockford girl becomes the talk of the nation, and most coastal media outlets, as far as I can tell, reported "from Chicago" and talked of Illinoisans....

maybe this makes you feel uncomfortable....

which is sad....

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Rockford said:
I don't think so. Rockfordians are literate, educated AND capabale. Danica is Rockford's ultimate spokesperson.

Your average Chicagoan in Rockford is totally ignorant of not only his/her car, his/her heating system, A/C, plumbing/electricity....etc...

Rockford can teach a lot to clueless Chicagoans. They aren't status seeking (in general) Rockfordians respect ability...............
I knew this guy was a nutcase... this confirms it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
why thanks algonquin..... you obviously are well-versed in the local cultures of northern Illinois.

I would never troll a Canuckistani thread to attack someone.

Only insecure people do that.

·
Registered
469 Posts
MCC said:
Alright I thought he wasn't allowed to post this shit in the Chicago forum.
He's not. In addition to being a complete lunatic, he cannot follow directions, which is why he'll probably be banned.

I can't wait. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Rockford said:
why thanks algonquin..... you obviously are well-versed in the local cultures of northern Illinois.

I would never troll a Canuckistani thread to attack someone.

Only insecure people do that.
no, no.. I'm not versed in northern Illinois culture at all, but I can spot a bad post a mile away.

That's funny, I remember you commenting on a Canuckstani thread not too long ago, I even responded to your post.

I'm not really insecure, I don't think so anyway. I'm just extremely bored at the moment.

·
User
5,634 Posts
We're back to this again? I thought we agreed that Rockford threads would go into the Midwest forum where they belong since they have little or nothing to do with Chicago. Threads like these aren't doing anything to help the Chicago forum, they're basically littering it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.