SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Minneapolis==>Chicago
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Sterling Bay is proposing a skyscraper connected to Union Station that would become one of the city's tallest, as the Chicago-based developer vies for the assignment to redevelop real estate owned by Amtrak.

The firm wants to build a 958-foot-tall, 2 million-square-foot office tower alongside the massive transit facility in the West Loop and is already in talks with tenants large enough to kick off the project, Sterling Bay Managing Director Andy Gloor said today.

Gloor made his first public mention of the plan during the Crain's Real Estate Forum event at the Standard Club. He emphasized that Sterling Bay has not been chosen as Union Station's master developer.
link

·
Registered
1,070 Posts

·
Europa
1,231 Posts
It looks kinda cool. A taller, much wider Leadenhall Building!

·
everywhere like such as
1,121 Posts
Unfortunate that it's basically a Leadenhall knockoff, but they should still build it. It looks great and the existing parking structure needs to go.

·
It was aliens
4,601 Posts
Awesome! Hope it happens

Unfortunate that it's basically a Leadenhall knockoff, but they should still build it. It looks great and the existing parking structure needs to go.
We haven't seen it from all angles though, regardless Leadenhall is not in Chicago so it'll still be a unique addition to this city's skyline. Tons of buildings around the globe look alike. Unless you meant that you don't like the Leadenhall building, then that's different.

But yea, certainly better than a parking garage :)

·
Kinky Christian
3,152 Posts
I'm a huge fan of the design of the Leadenhall building and even if these two look similar they are not identical, especially at the top. I really like the design and it looks absolutely amazing surrounded with the famous buildings of Chicago. This city is my definition for sophistication and elegance.

·
Minneapolis==>Chicago
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A few notes on this building

-This is a Bid for the project, the land is currently owned by Amtrak, so more proposals from different developers may come. This goes without saying that Sterling Bay is a highly reputable and I think they have the best chance of winning.

-Spyguy at ssp has said this may be a supertall building. For those who do not know Spyguy is known for his inside sources, and is usually reliable.

-This is kind of conceptual at the moment and the design will go through changes if it is chosen as the project for the site.

-Bank of America is the rumored Tenant for this tower.

·
Minneapolis==>Chicago
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
3 Other Developers are trying to get in.

John Buck with JLL. (Jeanne Gang and Pelli Clarke)

Riverside development (probably Goettsch)

Golub Company (Gensler)

The winner will be picked this winter.

·
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!
23,629 Posts
^^ So which developer is teaming up with SOM? The sloped tower renders released so far are from SOM, I believe.

·
34,213 Posts
I'm not sure it matters that a building looks like another in a different city. With thousands of buildings around the world, some will look the same. That's fine. This is a good addition to the Chicago skyline. Those atrium sections on the slope side are intriguing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
According to Curbed, this is a recycled SOM design from other dead proposals that they previously designed. Nevertheless, I certainly like the renders!

As already mentioned, there is a competition for control of the site right now so this design may not even be for the winning bid and if it is, the design could very likely change. Of the four teams, Sterling Bay (this design) and John Buck/JLL are my guesses for the most likely.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts