·
muted
7,080 Posts
Height: 2,000 ft
Floor count: 150
Status: On Hold pending new owner possessorship, litigation
Construction end: N/A
Architect: Santiago Calatrava
Development firm: Related Midwest (previously, Shelbourne Development Ltd.)

Website

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chicago Spire has be redesigned numerous times and will include a park, known as DuSable Park.

Current Design

DuSable Park:

Previous Designs (starting with the most recent)

Version E:

Version D:

Version C:

Version B:

Version A:

·
Chicago's #1 Fan
2,332 Posts
I'm suprised that no one has posted here yet. I'll go first then...

Earlier today I saw a couple of guys on the site, and it looked like they were taking measurements or something. Couldn't see too clearly because of the brush, and I ran over there and see if I could find out anything.

Anyway, I ran over there, and I asked the guy what they were doing, and he said that it was confidential. But lucky for me, his jacket said STS on it.

Here's a link to their site for more info about them: http://www.stsconsultants.com/

They were waving this machine back and fourth. It reminded me of a gigercounter or something. They were testing for something, and my dumb ass forgot to take my camera over there. There were also marks spraypainted on the ground, and they looked fairly fresh.

Take from this what you will and run like like a mutha' fucker being chased by the cops. I certainly am...

Upon further inspection, I noticed a few other things:

Now I regularly walk across the LSD bridge on the lower level to get shots of Trump, The Regatta and Chandler, and this was the first time that I noticed any kind of stake or mark.

Notice the red dots.

·
Chicago's #1 Fan
2,332 Posts
From Newcity Skyline

400 LSD continues to spiral forth

Friday, October 27, 2006

By Kelly Matlock

NewcitySkyline - Within the next couple of years, Dublin, Ireland will not be the only city where Irish developer Garrett Kelleher of Shelbourne Development Ltd. and Spanish Architect Santiago Calatrava, the designer behind the James Joyce Bridge in Dublin, will share architectural accomplishments. Chicago will join the pair’s list of famed structures as the developer and architect team up to work together on the former Fordham Spire, still planned for construction at 400 Lake Shore Drive.

(READ MORE HERE) http://www.newcityskyline.com/400LSDContinues.html

·
Registered
650 Posts
I bet the guys were at 400 N. LSD today to test the soils. Because so much of Chicago is fill, often you get contaminants in the soils like PNAs and Lead. They will most likely have to remove all the bad soils and take it to a special landfill. If the company was STS, then yes, they do soil remediation stuff. I believe V3 used to be called STS, so maybe the guy could have been wearing an old jacket if they were surveyors. Does anyone know who surveyed the site?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Soil samples?
They test the soil to see if there are any contaminents that pose a potential health hazard to people living in the new building or to people working on the construction of the new building. The EPA has several standards that the soil must pass, if not, then there must be an expensive clean up process that has delayed construction projects as close as the buildings on grand and fairbanks.

·
Jack-Of-All-Trades
1,391 Posts
No, it's not enough. The point has been raised at SSP that this soil must be tested and decontaminated, regardless of whether Kelleher is building America's tallest building or not.

We know that Kelleher will very likely build something on the site, since he has already paid for the land in full. But we cannot assume that what is being built is actually the same Fordham Spire we have all come to know and love. It might not even be residential.

Also - the soil and site should probably be tested just to make sure that building the world's tallest building is even possible here. If it is not possible without millions of dollars of investment in the strengthening of the land, Kelleher may think twice.

Further progress on the site may not happen for awhile after this.

Officially, I propose that we consider it "in site prep" once the weeds on the lot have been removed/killed.

·
Live from the Loop
1,578 Posts
Two points:

1) I think there's a 99.9% chance that whatever gets built on this site would be residential - nothing else makes sense (save for the possibility of hotel).

2) I strongly doubt they would have already spent the millions of dollars on marketing and development (commissioning Calatrava to even conceive the project) if they weren't certain that the building could be built. There's simply no way that they conceive (and draw plans for) a 2,000' tower if the soil below it is insufficient to support it.

·
Chicago's #1 Fan
2,332 Posts
Here's a better angle and view of what's going on. Taken 10 minutes ago from the North Pier Tower parking garage, 12th floor.

1 - 20 of 10503 Posts