Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you read what I have posted on various boards, you would know I am a firm believer that globalization will rapidly expand this century. I didn't say proponant (although I find much good about it). I'm saying, in reality, it can't be stopped.

I also believe it is going to be very, very good for Chicago. In the provincial confides of the US (or other nations), the rivalries between cities tend to be petty, based on old and faded paradigms, and incredibly parochial.

Globally, there is a different dynamic. Certain cities throughout the planet have become global power centers, totally interconnected and often working more in cooperation than in competition. It is the networking of these cities that makes the global economy run. And Chicago is an essential power point in that network.

My contention is that Chicago, Earth, will be a more powerful place than Chicago, USA, is today. The media/entertainment complexes in LA and NY, while having an undeniable global component, still are based on US culture and US society. Nationally that presence gives those two cities a visibility that Chicago cannot express to nearly the same degree.

On the world seen, things change. There are too many media centers, too many forms of entertainment that are not American led. And truthfully too many great cities to make them stand out from each other the way that they can in the smaller set that is the USA.

I see Chicago battling it out more in a sea of equals around the world more successfully than the paradigm of the US with its pecking order and the intamacy it allows for cities to be known.

I fully expect NY and LA to thrieve in such a setting, but I think that Chicago does more evening of the playing field when it occurs.

Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
^Chicago's ties to Asia are incredible. They're arguably as strong, if not stronger than NY.

I kind of agree with the main point of this thread. Internationally, the big three in the US have a more level playing field due to a more diverse media culture. When you go to a place like Japan or China, what matters more with regards to the US is economic and foreign policy. The economic ties go a long way in helping Chicago. You can also fly to more cities in Asia from O'Hare than any other US airport, except SFO.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Edsg,

I both agree and disagree. I agree that Chicago's global role will improve. But I also think its role within the country will continue to strengthen, possibly even as a result of its improved global standing.

When, as happeneded in recent weeks, Chicago comes near the top of global financial and commercial city rankings, people in the self-appointed power centers (read coasts) of America cannot help but take notice.

It's no coincidence that Trump Tower Chicago is twice the height of the original in NYC.

And it's been my experience in Asia for over a decade that many coastal Americans begin to learn and appreciate much more about what America has to offer after a 1000 encounters with Chinese, Koreans, and Japanese who speak of their educational, business, and family ties referencing places like Chicago, Minneapolis, Atlanta, Dallas, Denver, Seattle etc.

It's one thing for a Chicagoan to tell a Manhattanite in Manhattan why they should visit Chicago. It's another thing altogether when that same Manhattanite is in a conference in Hong Kong where 2 Chinese Northwestern Kellogg MBAs along with a few Korean and Japanese UC Business School graduates talk wistfully of their time in Chicago.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's no coincidence that Trump Tower Chicago is twice the height of the original in NYC..
Donald Trump is indeed a remarkable man. He nearly doubles the size of his New York tower in the current Chicago construction while most men his age are dealing with shrinking height.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
if only he could do the same for the number of hair follicles.....

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I did not realize that.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
either ? way..

chicago could surely find itself in the middle....

of.....

the entire hair-replacement industry...

which, as we all know, mimics the global logistics industry....

which tends to reflect North American industriousness.....

which as we know...sets the standard for humanity.

Either way, we'll all do ok, especially Chicago.....

So....

Happy Father's Day all.......

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
either ? way..

chicago could surely find itself in the middle....

of.....

the entire hair-replacement industry...

which, as we all know, mimics the global logistics industry....

which tends to reflect North American industriousness.....

which as we know...sets the standard for humanity.

Either way, we'll all do ok, especially Chicago.....

So....

Happy Father's Day all.......
in an era when industry has spread abroad and the US doesn't produce a blasted thing, your idea of industry the synthetic hair replacement industry to Chicago is admirable. I think we could do this very well. Unfortunately the hair would need to be green, an adjustment for most people I would say, due to the fact that only green, bio-friendly industries would be promoted by the Daley administration. I know that the Clyboun Corridor has been held up as an area that should retain Chicago's industrial past along with all the new commercial and residential real estate. Your plan would foster such an idea by incroporating Goose Island...and the goose hair it produces for the hair replacement.

Kudos to globill and his entrepenurial skills and concern for the enivronment!

·
Registered
283 Posts
This is a very interesting thought. And of course it came from Ed, lol.

I don't know though. It seems to me that while Chicago will be more important, that actually WILL be negated by the corresponding growth in importance that LA and especially NY will get. What makes me think this is LA's growing population and the (old) fact that New York still has the VERY global United Nations building. Until Chicago can achieve either of those things (population growth or an international "convention" building) I think we will still be Big #3. Which isn't bad considering we're talking about America here.

But honestly I hope we overtake LA because (omit city vs city here)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts