SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
55,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"HoJos Tower" Cleared For Takeoff

The 35 story apartment tower intended to be built at the current site of the '50s-throwback Howard Johnson Inn doesn't yet have a name, but it has been cleared for takeoff. Generally referred to simply as "the HoJo tower" based on the motel it's set to replace, the 382-foot apartment tower is designed by bKL Architecture and features considerable retail space on the LaSalle and Superior streets it faces and a small pocket park on the Wells Street side. On Thursday of last week, the Chicago Plan Commission approved the project, so it can begin construction as scheduled early next year.

Earlier presentations of the building put the height at 398 feet but the final height submitted to the planning board is 382 feet, with three floors having been removed by the project developer and not at the request of the city.

·
My Mind Has Left My Body
7,265 Posts
rather dull design.
I think where this design wins is at the base. It isn't cutting edge or dramatic but it is a very solid design with large windows that will provide nice retail frontage.

And considering the dreadful building it is replacing it makes it all that much better.

·
Registered
326 Posts
^ If by Lame you mean a wonderfully clean, contextual, and unique design. Then I totally agree with you.

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
55,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Construction permit issued: http://www.chicagoarchitecture.org/2015/07/27/hey-ho-hojo-a-go/

After what seemed like an eternal wait, one of River North’s most anticipated new skyscrapers has gotten the green light from the city of Chicago. The first construction permit has been issued for the HoJo Tower, known occasionally as 720 North LaSalle Street.

Most skyscrapers start with a simple foundation permit. This one, however, gets to go full podium right out of the box:

Foundation and partial superstructure (podium levels 1-5) for future 38 Story 325,000 sf residential apartment building. Includes electrical conduit and plumbing piping only. Deep Foundations.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts