SkyscraperCity banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, So Chicago is huge. It sprawls. But where does it end?

I am interested in Rockford (ergo my name), and other nearby communities. When I post these things in the Midwest forums, it registers nothing. Maybe they think Rockford is some glorified Chicago suburb.

But if I post things in the Chicago forum, there seems to be some who refuse to think of Rockford as part of the Chicago area.

Your opinion...... What are the limits of the word Chicago (as it pertains to this forum)

and

Where should I post Rockford and other stateline (i-90) news???

such as the following
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=204819
and
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=203741

Here we have nearly 80,000,000 dollars in scientific investment in areas within 100 miles of Chicago. And absolutely no coverage by the Chicago press!!!!

Isn't that news????

Or are Beloit and Rockford not of any interest to Chicago???????

·
Registered
872 Posts
In my opinion, Rockford is not really part of the Chicago area yet. Rockford is in an odd flux period in that it is becoming part of the Chicago area and will be within ten years or so but really isn't at this time. It's the same flux period that Elgin went through about 20 years ago when it was being enveloped by Chicago sprawl and quickly became incorporated into the area. I think that Rockford issues fit in the Chicago forum because an increasing number of people that live in Rockford work in Chicago or the suburbs so it would be appropriate to post your topics here.

·
Banned
492 Posts
Rockfor is too far away to be considered a part of Chicago's metro. I've known a few foolish souls who commute from Rockford to Chicago but there can't be that many people doing it.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I've never considered Rockford to be part of the Chicago area, and quite frankly, I hope I never have to. Its fucking 90 miles away for godsake. I can't understand why anyone would want to work in Chicago but live in Rockford. That's crazy.

I guess if you have a topic that has to do with both Chicago and Rockford, post them here, but otherwise, post them in the Midwest forum, like people from Madison do.

Maybe the harsh reality is that most people don't care about Rockford much.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Where does Chicagoland end? Let's see. I'm designing a new cover for Chicago Magazine for the June issue, so all I can tell you are the boundaries on the cover: east to the banks of the Hudson, west to the Oakland approaches to the Bay Bridge, and south to somewhere around the art deco buildings in South Beach.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I've always considered Rockford to be somewhere "out there" past McHenry. I've only been there once. I think most Chicagoans would consider statewide news to be relevent news to post here, especially news only 90 miles away even though its not part of the metro.

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
My limits of Chicagoland is Kenosha in the North, Elgin in the NW, Dekalb in the West, Joliet in the SW, Kanakee in the South, Gary in the East(michigan city is just too far right now).

·
C.B.P.
1,188 Posts
Michigan City isn't too far, but Gary is too close. I would go as far as considering South Bend, IN as the limit. Especially since the South Shore Line has it's terminus there and there are many people that commute from there to Chicago at the Randolph St. Station everyday.

East Limit: St. Joseph, MI
SE Limit: South Bend, IN
South Limit: Kankakee
SW Limit: La Salle/Peru
West Limit: DeKalb
NW Limit: Belvidere
North Limit: Milwukee, WI

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
edsg25 said:
Where does Chicagoland end? Let's see. I'm designing a new cover for Chicago Magazine for the June issue, so all I can tell you are the boundaries on the cover: east to the banks of the Hudson, west to the Oakland approaches to the Bay Bridge, and south to somewhere around the art deco buildings in South Beach.

Well, by this definition then, Rockford would be just beyond the Loop :)

I think suburbanite is right that Rockford is gradually coming into Chicago's orbit. Hopefully, the new mayor (Morrissey) will help Rockford capitalize on this. And, fingers crossed, the urbanites of Chicago will someday be able to hop on a train downtown and get off in a booming revitalized downtown Rockford sometime around 2010.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Of course it is better. And because of size and location, Rockford will never be an Elgin/Joliet/Aurora. I mean Rockford already has its own suburbs, its own sprawl, its own media etc.

But it definitely has a growing and intense relationship with Chicago.

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
Beloit is a suburb of Rockford right, or its the other way around?

How would you rate the relationship with chicago on a scale of 1-10. and with MILW, and madison?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Rockford said:
Well, by this definition then, Rockford would be just beyond the Loop :)

I think suburbanite is right that Rockford is gradually coming into Chicago's orbit. Hopefully, the new mayor (Morrissey) will help Rockford capitalize on this. And, fingers crossed, the urbanites of Chicago will someday be able to hop on a train downtown and get off in a booming revitalized downtown Rockford sometime around 2010.
hopping a train would be pretty sweet. until they get regular non Amtrak inter-urban rail transit, ill have to drive. :) ive visited those japanese gardens over there with a girl, and have fond memories of going to Magic Waters waterpark there as a kid. Rockford ROCKS :D

·
Central Illinoisan
170 Posts
michigan city is just too far right now.[/QUOTE said:
I dunno, Michigan City feels very suburban. Maybe not so much as Aurora or Naperville, but it clearly benefits from its proximity to Chicago.

One could effectively argue that the entire state of Illinois is part of Chicagoland; what happens in Chicago affects all the other towns and cities in the state.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
airmale007 said:
I dunno, Michigan City feels very suburban. Maybe not so much as Aurora or Naperville, but it clearly benefits from its proximity to Chicago.

One could effectively argue that the entire state of Illinois is part of Chicagoland; what happens in Chicago affects all the other towns and cities in the state.
Currently as difened by the census, Michigan City is a part of the Greater Chicago CSA, as is Kankakee, Kenosha, and DeKalb, but not Rockford (yet).

Chicago-Naperville-Michigan City, IL-IN-WI Combined Statistical Area 9,600,000
Chicago-Naperville-Joliet, IL-IN-WI Metropolitan Statistical Area
Kankakee-Bradley, IL Metropolitan Statistical Area
Michigan City-La Porte, IN Metropolitan Statistical Area

Rockford Freeport Rochelle metro: 437,000

I predict by the 2030 census it will be part of the Chicago CSA so will the Milwaukee area.

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
"Chicago-Naperville-Michigan City, IL-IN-WI Combined Statistical Area 9,600,000
Chicago-Naperville-Joliet, IL-IN-WI Metropolitan Statistical Area
9,333,000"

this one, the Chicago-Naperville-Joliet, IL-IN-WI Metropolitan Statistical Area is more reasonable than the other one, as this one is way more dense.

Wait why they say Naperville instead of Aurora? Its more west than Naperville.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Latoso said:
Michigan City isn't too far, but Gary is too close. I would go as far as considering South Bend, IN as the limit. Especially since the South Shore Line has it's terminus there and there are many people that commute from there to Chicago at the Randolph St. Station everyday.

East Limit: St. Joseph, MI
SE Limit: South Bend, IN
South Limit: Kankakee
SW Limit: La Salle/Peru
West Limit: DeKalb
NW Limit: Belvidere
North Limit: Milwukee, WI
You would consider La Salle and Kankakee part of the Chicago area but not Rockford???? I'm sorry but that is messed up. I have been to La Salle many times and I don't think anyone there considers themselves as part of Chicagoland and I would doubt that few if any commute to the area. Rockford on the other hand, has a surprisingly large number of people that commute down I-90 to Chicago and there is actually a large demand to extend Metra out to Rockford. As I said before, it isn't really part of the area but it is becoming a part.

·
C.B.P.
1,188 Posts
Suburbanite said:
You would consider La Salle and Kankakee part of the Chicago area but not Rockford???? I'm sorry but that is messed up. I have been to La Salle many times and I don't think anyone there considers themselves as part of Chicagoland and I would doubt that few if any commute to the area. Rockford on the other hand, has a surprisingly large number of people that commute down I-90 to Chicago and there is actually a large demand to extend Metra out to Rockford. As I said before, it isn't really part of the area but it is becoming a part.
OK... I'll give you Rockford, but only if I can get Champaign/Urbana. :nuts:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.