SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 411 Posts

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
55,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On the heels of the failure of Garrett Kelleher to secure the site for the Chicago Spire, it reverts to the lienholder Related Midwest which has summoned some very preliminary plans for the property which once was to feature the tallest tower in the US.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Early scheme by Perkins+Will for Related Midwest:

Here is the conceptual design by Perkins+Will for Related:

Foundation work for the Spire and the site:

Much more should emerge about the size and scope of Related's investment in the coming weeks.

·
Registered
326 Posts
The only solace from the news that the site will be transferred to RelatedMW is that any other design on this site will most likely be from Perkins & Will because they were the architect of record on the spire project.

·
whitest boy in the delta
12,147 Posts
great towers, never was a big fan of the shape and size in that specific location of the city, so i am quite happy with a shorter supertall right there and hoping for a tall tower in the city center instead :cheers:

Reactions: Zaz965

·
Registered
120 Posts
This isn't a proposal by Related. It was just a conceptual design from years ago.

Mods should remove the details about height and design, because there's no indication this will be a supertall or anything close.

Related has no proposal for this site, yet. We'll have to wait for details.

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
55,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This isn't a proposal by Related. It was just a conceptual design from years ago.

Mods should remove the details about height and design, because there's no indication this will be a supertall or anything close.

Related has no proposal for this site, yet. We'll have to wait for details.
Do you get paid to nitpick?

brb We have a thread for the illusory Schvo tower that doesn't even have a site!

Related owns this site and they did commission Perkins+Will to make conceptual drawings for their property. If their plans turn out to be for something shorter, the thread can be easily changed and moved; if they plan a Popeye's Chicken stand on their $100 million plot, the thread can easily be disposed of.

·
Buffalo's Idealist💡
Buffalo's Idealist💡
4,597 Posts
CHICAGO | Related Midwest Towers | 305m | 1000ft | 244m | 800ft | Pro

I read somewhere that this is a prime piece of land, and on my trip to Chicago earlier this year, driving down Lake Shore Drive I could see how it would be valuable. Right at the edge of the skyline on the bank of the river. It would be a shame if it were under 100 stories for a city like Chicago but that's probably what will go up.

·
Registered
8,020 Posts
I understand why some people are upset to see the Spire die (again), but I think this will ultimately look much better in the end than that one obnoxious attempt at Dubai-style supertalls would have.

·
◜◝◟◞◜◝◟&
974 Posts
I understand why some people are upset to see the Spire die (again), but I think this will ultimately look much better in the end than that one obnoxious attempt at Dubai-style supertalls would have.
:applause::applause::applause:

·
Registered
326 Posts
An attempt at a Dubai-style supertall? You should email Calatrava and apologize for that one. The spire design was not Disneyland Kitsch.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Is it really cheaper to build two towers totaling 1800 feet as opposed to a single 1800ft tower? Or let's say for the sake of argument, two 1000ft vs one 2000ft??

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
55,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is it really cheaper to build two towers totaling 1800 feet as opposed to a single 1800ft tower? Or let's say for the sake of argument, two 1000ft vs one 2000ft??
Related could well combine units in a single tower but timing may be an issue. The Chicago condo market is just now stirring to life so I think they prefer two towers with a [mainly] rentals tower to hedge the risk of doing luxury condos in the taller one. And it gets more expensive the higher you build. A 2,000 foot tower would be very expensive to begin with. A 2,000 foot Calatrava costs $1.5 billion at a minimum (probably closer to $2 billion when all is done). Few cities can support $2,000-$3,000+ per sq. ft. sale prices much less cost to build!

1 - 20 of 411 Posts