SkyscraperCity Forum banner
21 - 40 of 116 Posts

· Captian Clutch
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Got out here this past summer, along with Wrigley. I was very underwhelmed by this ballpark. I wasn't expecting to like it at all, but I started to warm up to it while we were there. But that all changed when I learned of this ballparks terrible policy: If you have an upper deck ticket, you can not access the lower concourse at all. Which means no specialty concessions for you. I was very disappointed, especially after how amazingly we were treated at Wrigley the day before. Here we were treated like second class citizens.

· Registered
306 Posts
Got out here this past summer, along with Wrigley. I was very underwhelmed by this ballpark. I wasn't expecting to like it at all, but I started to warm up to it while we were there. But that all changed when I learned of this ballparks terrible policy: If you have an upper deck ticket, you can not access the lower concourse at all. Which means no specialty concessions for you. I was very disappointed, especially after how amazingly we were treated at Wrigley the day before. Here we were treated like second class citizens.
I agree that it is an awful policy. Visited this stadium a few years ago, but because we sat in the upper deck, I don't feel that I visited at all.

Can anyone who is more familiar with the White Sox organization shed some light on the rationale behind said policy?

· Registered
355 Posts
I agree that it is an awful policy. Visited this stadium a few years ago, but because we sat in the upper deck, I don't feel that I visited at all.

Can anyone who is more familiar with the White Sox organization shed some light on the rationale behind said policy?
This policy was created in response to a couple of bad fan incidents. In 2002 a father/son team ran onto the field and attacked Royals first base coach Tom Gamboa. In 2003 umpire Laz Diaz was the target of a fan who ran onto he field to try to tackle him (coincidentally also against the Royals).

White Sox reps will tell you that the policy is to keep the lower level concourse from overcrowding and a bunch of other nonsense, but the fact of the matter is that they don't want people buying cheap UD tickets only to move to the lower level and create problems like they did in 2002-03. I know in the 2002 incident the scumbags had upper deck seats.

That all being said, it's a terrible policy today. Even though it doesn't take much to Google a ballpark's rules and policies before you visit, alot of people still are unaware and end up stuck on the upper level. As a fan visiting from out of town, I don't blame people at all for being upset. White Sox fans have been pushing to get this changed for a few years now. Hopefully enough time has passed that something will get done soon.

· Registered
355 Posts
artist rendering of a never realized New Comiskey Park renovation complete with a double-decked home run porch in RF. from stadiumpage.com

I was a HUGE fan of the second rendition. It surfaced sometime around 2004 and featured a huge main entrance building on the corner of 35th and Wentworth. It was supposed to house a bar or restaurant, shops, team hall of fame, rooftop bar, etc. If you didn't already notice, the rendering also shows a right field upper deck home run porch.

But the main entrance building would have been great. That is a big criticism of this place...as you approach from the east (either by car or walking from the red line El stop) you are greeted by the left field corner and ramps that are used for exiting the ballpark only. It's a very underwhelming first site and impression. They decided to build a "Fundamentals" section for kids in this area instead of the grand entrance building. Although it can probably still be done if they really wanted.

· Registered
122 Posts
With the Mariners upgrading Safeco's main scoreboard, do the White Sox now have the most outdated board in MLB?

I would probably say that Wrigley and Fenway have the most *outdated* scoreboards, but of course to suggest that they change them would be inviting a lynching from raving baseball fans.

I want to add that I really like the Cell. It was built a couple years after I moved to the midwest and they've done a lot to improve it since then. But you guys are spot on about the upper deck policy. Whenever I make it down to Chicago for a game I have to shell out the extra money for lower level because otherwise it's just not worth the trip.

· Registered
355 Posts
I would probably say that Wrigley and Fenway have the most *outdated* scoreboards, but of course to suggest that they change them would be inviting a lynching from raving baseball fans.

I want to add that I really like the Cell. It was built a couple years after I moved to the midwest and they've done a lot to improve it since then. But you guys are spot on about the upper deck policy. Whenever I make it down to Chicago for a game I have to shell out the extra money for lower level because otherwise it's just not worth the trip.
It might be a little easier on you since they are lowering ticket prices fairly substantially for 2013. Both LF and RF corners in the lower level will be $20 all year long. Parking will also be reduced about 20%.

· Captian Clutch
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Fenway actually just updated their scoreboard:

cool video from the first in-game use-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AYz_IRyc10

As for Wrigley, while not quite adding a video board, which they desperately need to, they did add this to the RF corner last year:

· Registered
122 Posts
White Sox 1st round pick Courtney Hawkins hangs out with Bulls legend Scottie Pippen before a Cubs/White Sox game last season.
I will always remember this kid for doing a backflip after he was drafted. And then when he talked to GM Kenny Williams on the phone, Kenny said "just to let you know, that's the last backflip you're ever doing." The kid looked absolutely scared out of his mind. :lol:

21 - 40 of 116 Posts