SkyscraperCity Forum banner

CHICAGO - Guaranteed Rate Field (40,615)

36526 115

Chicago White Sox

3x Champions:
1906, 1917, 2005

Capacity 41,432

101 - 116 of 116 Posts
Is it "bad" or "good" for who? You? Maybe. Depends on what you value in life. From my perspective is neither "bad" nor "good".... you simply missed something. No big deal. I don't know the names of the ballparks in Texas but I don't believe that is either "bad" or "good" on my part.... simply the remnants of a busy life my friend. That is all.

ONE DISTINCT PROBLEM WITH WHITE SOX BALLPARK

One of the best parks in baseball, I'm glad they keep updating!
ONE DISTINCT PROBLEM WITH WHITE SOX BALLPARK - Notice in the picture that the ballpark is pointed in the WRONG DIRECTION ???? !!! Most ballparks point NORTHEASTERLY....Guaranteed Rate Field is pointed SOUTHEASTERLY...If the ballpark was pointed in the right direction GUESS WHAT THE OUTFIELD/TV VIEW MIGHT CATCH OR AT LEAST HAVE A CHANCE TO HAVE...THAT'S RIGHT...A VIEW OF THE CHICAGO SKYLINE. The ballpark was built on a parking lot in WIDE OPEN territory I believe when completed in 1991 so there was no chance to make this mistake...HOW COULD THE SOX GET THIS WRONG !!! I'M NOT A CUBS fan but more thought went into Wrigley (much more thought) and yes I know that Die Hard White Sox fans like any Die hards will always use the "Well it's a dump by it's our dump" logic (Don't get me wrong Guaranteed Rate Field is far from being a dump)...But do you understand where I'm coming from on this point or am I just "CRAZY" !!!! JUST A THOUGHT.
Reactions: EPA001
^^ Great picture. :eek:kay: I don't think the direction of the pitch is much of an issue here.
Reactions: peteyrocks
I think it's great looking stadium and if you plopped in into most cities it would be better than their current stadiums
Reactions: peteyrocks
Most baseball fans don't go to the game to look at the skyline. If it's their fine have a look but it's not the end of the World if you can't see the downtown skyline.

Yankee Stadium doesn't face Manhattan, neither does Citifield (Mets), same with plenty of others.
Wanna show you something. Here is a Google map picture of Guarantee Rate Field Chicago on the South Side. What's wrong with this picture ?? Look at all the parking. Wouldn't it be nice to develop that parking lot into a mixed used development with housing, bars, and restaurants to give the area a certain special feel to bring vibrancy to the area ?? I'm not saying turn it to something like Wrigley Field and Wrigleyville. That can't be duplicated but geez do something that can create a tax and revenue stream for the area that fans and people in the surrounding area to give something to do before, after, and during a baseball game and beyond games when there's nothing going on there. The mass transit is there to make this a yearound

destination point. The Chicago Sun Times ran a great editorial article on doing this and for the life of me I can't understand why the City and it's politicians and economic people can't put their heads together to make this happen. The ballpark is even pointed in the wrong direction pointing Southwest where it should be pointed in the opposite direction Northeast facing that glimmering Chicago skyline. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHY NOTHING'S BEEN DONE THERE AND ARE THERE ANY EFFORTS TO MAKE SOMETHING HAPPEN. I'M CURIOUS TO KNOW ... ANYBODY OUT THERE.... PLEASE.
Here is that editorial article by the Chicago Sun Times on why the City should develop the parking lot surrounding Guaranteed Rate Field written in 2021. PLEASE READ AND OPINE....THANK YOU.
There was a better plan for a new stadium at Comiskey, but they chose this one.
What could have been...:

Wanna show you something. Here is a Google map picture of Guarantee Rate Field Chicago on the South Side. What's wrong with this picture ?? Look at all the parking. Wouldn't it be nice to develop that parking lot into a mixed used development with housing, bars, and restaurants to give the area a certain special feel to bring vibrancy to the area ?? I'm not saying turn it to something like Wrigley Field and Wrigleyville. That can't be duplicated but geez do something that can create a tax and revenue stream for the area that fans and people in the surrounding area to give something to do before, after, and during a baseball game and beyond games when there's nothing going on there. The mass transit is there to make this a yearound View attachment 4036713
destination point. The Chicago Sun Times ran a great editorial article on doing this and for the life of me I can't understand why the City and it's politicians and economic people can't put their heads together to make this happen. The ballpark is even pointed in the wrong direction pointing Southwest where it should be pointed in the opposite direction Northeast facing that glimmering Chicago skyline. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHY NOTHING'S BEEN DONE THERE AND ARE THERE ANY EFFORTS TO MAKE SOMETHING HAPPEN. I'M CURIOUS TO KNOW ... ANYBODY OUT THERE.... PLEASE.
If the Bears leave Soldier Field for Arlington Heights, would it make a good location for a new Sox Park? It’s not the South Side but it would present killer views of the skyline and probably make the Sox a competitive draw in the fight for fan dollars with their north side rivals at Wrigley. Just a thought. The only other idea for that site is obviously the Fire….
No. Several things wrong with this. Chief among them that Soldier Field is actually pretty cut off from downtown. It's almost easier to get to Comisky from downtown on the El than it is to slog your way over to Soldier Field. No transit stops or easy walking routes nearby despite being much closer to downtown. Plus the site itself is fairly cramped and Solider field is huge. It'd be spending a whole ton of money for not much more benefit.
If the Bears leave Soldier Field for Arlington Heights, would it make a good location for a new Sox Park? It’s not the South Side but it would present killer views of the skyline and probably make the Sox a competitive draw in the fight for fan dollars with their north side rivals at Wrigley. Just a thought. The only other idea for that site is obviously the Fire….
I agree, would not be a good sight for the Sox. What they should do is tear down Guarantee Rate Field and build a new ballpark by 35th Street ( of course the Sox would need an interim home while the new ballpark is under construction and do I dare say that the Sox play at Wrigley for those two seasons as I know even the thought would sound blasphemous !!! LOL !!!!) and that the new ballpark point towards the Chicago skyline and seat around 42,500 for baseball and be also used during the off season for College Football like alot of the baseball stadiums are doing these days and mesh the ballpark with Armour Park and make the new ballpark look like the Old Comiskey Park bringing back the history of the Chicago White Sox. Also in the parking lot, develop much of that lot as a mixed used community with housing, restaurants, and bars to give it a Wrigley Field feel. Also the subway station should also be enhanced and modernized and meshed with the surrounding community and mass transit should be encouraged to create a transit friendly environment. As for Soldier Field, the City of Chicago should select Option 3 and downsize the capacity to say around 40,000 or 50,000 primarily

designed for a Soccer Specific MLS Stadium and use it for other multipurposes. That's my take on all that.
No. Several things wrong with this. Chief among them that Soldier Field is actually pretty cut off from downtown. It's almost easier to get to Comisky from downtown on the El than it is to slog your way over to Soldier Field. No transit stops or easy walking routes nearby despite being much closer to downtown. Plus the site itself is fairly cramped and Solider field is huge. It'd be spending a whole ton of money for not much more benefit.
Reactions: Chevy114
only clueless idiot from a non-football country can make such a render, worst thing I saw for ages
If built on 35th, the old Comiskey site, would they necessarily need to find a new home? Take the new Yankee Stadium route. If Armour Park is also used for a new Sox Park, replace the lost parkland with new park land on the site of Guaranteed Rate Field once demolished, a la Yankee Stadium II Park (replacing Macombs Dam Park). The Sox could continue to play at GRF until new Sox Park is ready.
I agree, would not be a good sight for the Sox. What they should do is tear down Guarantee Rate Field and build a new ballpark by 35th Street ( of course the Sox would need an interim home while the new ballpark is under construction and do I dare say that the Sox play at Wrigley for those two seasons as I know even the thought would sound blasphemous !!! LOL !!!!) and that the new ballpark point towards the Chicago skyline and seat around 42,500 for baseball and be also used during the off season for College Football like alot of the baseball stadiums are doing these days and mesh the ballpark with Armour Park and make the new ballpark look like the Old Comiskey Park bringing back the history of the Chicago White Sox. Also in the parking lot, develop much of that lot as a mixed used community with housing, restaurants, and bars to give it a Wrigley Field feel. Also the subway station should also be enhanced and modernized and meshed with the surrounding community and mass transit should be encouraged to create a transit friendly environment. As for Soldier Field, the City of Chicago should select Option 3 and downsize the capacity to say around 40,000 or 50,000 primarily designed for a Soccer Specific MLS Stadium and use it for other multipurposes. That's my take on all that.
I would imagine that with the depth of that parking lot, that they could figure out a way to build a new stadium they would be able to work around playing at the current site in the interim however if they wanted to build on the old Comiskey Park site and build there and DEVELOP THE PARKING LOT, the only current solution would be to play at Wrigley Field during the construction phase. I don't.know how the Cubs feel about that and is it physically possible also ?? When the Yankees were renovating Yankee Stadium during the mid 70's, they played at Shea Stadium for two seasons. Can they do that in Chicago??? Not sure. Remember also when they tore down Comiskey there was a big outcry from parts of the sports media in that city in the late 80's. To build a ballpark the right way for the White Sox at 35th Street which means turning the ballpark around to face the Chicago Skyline is going to take alot of work and sacrifice which means is there the "POLITICAL WILL" in Chicago to do so ?? Remember the White Sox threatened to leave for Tampa in the 80's unless the City and the State of Illinois built them a new ballpark. Is Mayor Lightfoot if she's still Mayor willing to negotiate a stadium deal in Chicago especially in light on how she's botched up the attempt to try to keep the Bears in that City ?? Is the State of Illinois willing to sit down with the White Sox and hammer out a deal and is the Ownership of the White Sox willing to build a stadium with virtually "NO TAX DOLLARS" ???? !!!! Also remember, the White Sox lease at Guaranteed Rate Field is up in 2029 and I'M AMAZED THAT NO ONE IN THE MEDIA HAS PICKED UP ON THAT. AREN'T ALL OF YOU KIND OF CURIOUS THAT ALMOST NEXT TO NOTHING HAS BEEN DISCUSSED ON THIS MATTER ???? HMMMM ???? ANYONE IN THIS FORUM WANT TO CHIME IN ????
If built on 35th, the old Comiskey site, would they necessarily need to find a new home? Take the new Yankee Stadium route. If Armour Park is also used for a new Sox Park, replace the lost parkland with new park land on the site of Guaranteed Rate Field once demolished, a la Yankee Stadium II Park (replacing Macombs Dam Park). The Sox could continue to play at GRF until new Sox Park is ready.
Yea that's a great design.
What could have been...:

101 - 116 of 116 Posts