SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me or is anyone disgusted with the violence this year? :eek:hno: Murder after murder everyday when I check the news, and all on the south side. I actually knew someone was murdered a few weeks ago on the south side (just knew him was not close to him at all). I really would not be surprised if Chicago is this year's murder capital of the U.S.

They really need to do something about the southside. It seems to me like its becoming a war zone. Honestly, as much as I would love them to have the Olympics here, I think those monetary resources could do much better for the south side. Then again the south side would benefit tremendously from having the Olympics.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Is it just me or is anyone disgusted with the violence this year? :eek:hno: Murder after murder everyday when I check the news, and all on the south side. I actually knew someone was murdered a few weeks ago on the south side (just knew him was not close to him at all). I really would not be surprised if Chicago is this year's murder capital of the U.S.

They really need to do something about the southside. It seems to me like its becoming a war zone. Honestly, as much as I would love them to have the Olympics here, I think those monetary resources could do much better for the south side. Then again the south side would benefit tremendously from having the Olympics.

portions of the South Side are some of the most dangerous areas in the country. My family owns a few houses in the Roseland/Pulman neighborhoods that we rent out, and those two areas are shit! Each house has been broken into numerous times over the years.
I was currently exploring a few neighborhoods in the Bronx in NYC a few weeks back and Chicago's bad hoods are FAR worse than NYC's. What makes some of Chicago's bad neighborhoods worse is the fact that they seem to be EMPTY. litteraly miles of abandoned buildings. Something about having people around makes one feel safer.

·
Registered
279 Posts
We need to start pushing the death penalty. Just as a dog that attacks/kills someone is put down, I think anyone who kills another person should also be put to sleep.

·
Registered
721 Posts
It is a tradgedy...but been that way for decades....many of us got tired of it a long time ago...but when you have cultures, communities and leaders (business, church and political) and some questionable police....for decades....they prove they like the status quo and the slaughter or our young continues and will continue until everyone in our city/state/country decides....murder is horrific and needs to be stopped and we all need to work at making the change to a murder free society.

·
Registered
721 Posts
We need to start pushing the death penalty. Just as a dog that attacks/kills someone is put down, I think anyone who kills another person should also be put to sleep.
Doesn't and hasn't worked in Texas and other states. So it is a poor idea that shows this countries lust for death and murder.

·
Registered
79 Posts
It's slightly easier to wrongly accuse a human being than it is a dog. Regardless, animals don't have a right to life (as seen with people who EAT THEM) and are not protected by the law. Man-made law exists only to protect human beings. If you could charge an individual who commits murder with absolute certainty, I'd be all for a death penalty, but until the system is 100% flawless, the death penalty is a bad idea. It's better to leave 10 murderers in jail than it is sentence 1 innocent man to death. And as a poster above points out, the death penalty does not work. It never has. Murderers do not rationally consider penalties upon committing the crime. Rational thought goes out the window. Murderers act on their emotions, not on reason.

The best thing Chicago could do is rescind the gun laws. Citizens should have the right to protect themselves.
Watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_YTM_eAWnQ

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
the death penalty does not work. It never has. Murderers do not rationally consider penalties upon committing the crime. Rational thought goes out the window. Murderers act on their emotions, not on reason.
Could not have said it better myself...

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Honestly, as much as I would love them to have the Olympics here, I think those monetary resources could do much better for the south side. Then again the south side would benefit tremendously from having the Olympics.
Do you think that the gov would actually attempt to raise funds to improve conditions in parts of the South and West sides? No way. Only independent development will bring people and money back to those communities. The government can't do shit right. Just look at the CHA's history of misery (all government funded).

As for the Olympics, I think Chicago has a shot, but I think that Rio has a better shot since South America has never hosted the Olympics.

Btw, Rio's murder rate makes Chicago look like Mayberry.

·
Registered
346 Posts
It's slightly easier to wrongly accuse a human being than it is a dog. Regardless, animals don't have a right to life (as seen with people who EAT THEM) and are not protected by the law. Man-made law exists only to protect human beings. If you could charge an individual who commits murder with absolute certainty, I'd be all for a death penalty, but until the system is 100% flawless, the death penalty is a bad idea. It's better to leave 10 murderers in jail than it is sentence 1 innocent man to death. And as a poster above points out, the death penalty does not work. It never has. Murderers do not rationally consider penalties upon committing the crime. Rational thought goes out the window. Murderers act on their emotions, not on reason.

The best thing Chicago could do is rescind the gun laws. Citizens should have the right to protect themselves.
Watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_YTM_eAWnQ
I agree that the system is not 100% flawless, and it is of the utmost importance that reforms are made to make sure that no more innocent people are executed. However, you and the poster above you casually claim that "the death penalty does not work" and that "it never has"....and your only basis for this argument more or less involved you claiming to know the exact mindset of every murderer out there - as you stated in an absolute manner that "murderers act on their emotions, not on reason".

First of all, common sense would tell us that while this is true for almost all crimes of passion, it is untrue for many, if not most premeditated murders. Premeditated murder requires reasoning to carry out the murder as well as reasoning for committing the murder, although extremely twisted reasoning to be sure....like the person who murders their spouse to cash in on their life insurance, like the person in the mafia who does a mob hit, or a gang member who kills someone else in a rival gang, or the rapist or burglar who kills their victim because they don't want to risk being turned in if they spare the life of their victim.

But secondly, and more importantly, you and many others often seem to authoritatively assert that Capital Punishment is not a deterrence to murders whatsoever....without providing any sort of data or statistics to back that assertion up. Below is a link that makes a pretty strong argument that Capital Punishment is indeed a deterrence to some extent:

http://www.wesleylowe.com/deathpenaltygraph2.jpg

And while yes, many animals' rights, including right to life are not protected by US law, to say that no animals' rights are protected by US law is completely false. If you disagree with me, feel free to give Michael Vick a ring.

·
Registered
278 Posts
If parents actually made their children go to school, and get good grades this wouldn't be a problem. Money goes to these schools, but parents allow their kids to join gangs and skip class and dropout. Obama said it himself; that the resources we've given to failing communities have, for the most part, not been taken advantage of by the people in the underperforming communities. The police need to beef up security in bad neighborhoods, but that won't happen. Nothing can happen until neighborhoods are safe for other increased investments, and the government doesn't want these communities to have that. It's a combination of bad parents and a lack of legitimate efforts to rid the rough neighborhoods of gangs, drugs, and violence. If neighborhoods are safe for children to play in/ people to invest money in housing and business and parents commit to utilizing the schools, then these communities can develop and dramatically lower their crime rates and dropout rates.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I agree that the system is not 100% flawless, and it is of the utmost importance that reforms are made to make sure that no more innocent people are executed.
Well, that was the entire essence of my argument. Right now, there is absolutely no scientific way of ensuring a 100% success rate. If there was, I'd be all for it. When you find those 'reforms', let me know. But you can't go around executing people and in the process risk executing innocents, in order to scare off murderers.

Right now, the best thing to do (as I mentioned previously), would be to undo all the gun laws. Watch how the murder rate will drop. The thing criminals fear most is an armed citizen.

And while yes, many animals' rights, including right to life are not protected by US law, to say that no animals' rights are protected by US law is completely false. If you disagree with me, feel free to give Michael Vick a ring.
Yeh, pardon me. I was rather referring to how the law SHOULD be. But that issue's for another time.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If parents actually made their children go to school, and get good grades this wouldn't be a problem. Money goes to these schools, but parents allow their kids to join gangs and skip class and dropout. Obama said it himself; that the resources we've given to failing communities have, for the most part, not been taken advantage of by the people in the underperforming communities. The police need to beef up security in bad neighborhoods, but that won't happen. Nothing can happen until neighborhoods are safe for other increased investments, and the government doesn't want these communities to have that. It's a combination of bad parents and a lack of legitimate efforts to rid the rough neighborhoods of gangs, drugs, and violence. If neighborhoods are safe for children to play in/ people to invest money in housing and business and parents commit to utilizing the schools, then these communities can develop and dramatically lower their crime rates and dropout rates.
They don't care about going to school because they're already riding on all the other welfare everyone gives them. Take away their welfare and watch how much they start appreciating education. Without welfare you'll foster a "either you work, or you die" mentality. And in order to work (and make a substantial amount of money), they'll need an education.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Chicago is a pretty sad case when it comes to violence. Out of the 5 most populous cities in North America only Mexico City has a higher murder rate.
True, but Chicago's murder rate is a lot lower than many mid-sized and smaller U.S. cities

The police are pretty ineffective as well. This city has the second largest police department in the country and still can't manage to contain crime.
So a 50% drop in homicides since the early 1990's (peaking at something like 975 murders in 1991 or 92??) is ineffective to you? The recent rise in murder this year is not because of a change in police tactics, but do to an ongoing gang war in Chicago's South and West sides.

The appointment of Weiss, a Philadelphia FBI man was a joke. The guns laws are a joke and Daley sounds like an imbecile everytime he talks about them.
Gun laws are very strict here. The guns come from outside the area.

Both Los Angeles and New York have much lower murder rates despite having higher populations, and in LA's case, a smaller police force. Perhaps the CPD should take notes.
Apple and oranges. At least in the case of CHicago and NYC. Chicago has a well structured gang culture which NYC does not.

This graph is about 5 years old, but still indicative of the murder rates of the three largest cities. As you can see, L.A and Chicago are not that far off, and both have serious gang issues.

Will do absolutely NOTHING to drop the murder rate here.
Prison time hasn't seem to drop the murder rate either.

·
Registered
279 Posts
^^Exactly...all prison time does is waste space, oxygen and tax payer's money. I say we just get rid of them once and for all. Just so you know, I'm only speaking of those that are found to be guilty w/o any doubt.

·
Registered
721 Posts
^^Exactly...all prison time does is waste space, oxygen and tax payer's money. I say we just get rid of them once and for all. Just so you know, I'm only speaking of those that are found to be guilty w/o any doubt.
So basically you want to kill people just like the murders......since we have stated it does NOT reduce the murder rate...just adds to it and sanctions our government to kill/murder. Great example of why we have such a violent country...thanks for showing us.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Please explain the difference of being found guilty without any doubt and with doubt :sly:

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
To avoid any possible mistakes that can be made with finding someone guilty for murder one, I say cryogeniclally freeze them. If new evidence proves them innocent, then thaw them out:D

1 - 20 of 100 Posts