SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
^
I agree, even though we have probably the second best rail system in America (New York's is far ahead), it still needs to be greatly expanded, especially in suburban areas where traffic congestion continues to grow worse day by day.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Wow...New York City isn't even in the Top 5 for most congested traffic. LA is #1....I'm glad I am moving relatively soon.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Of course, it will only get worse as we continue building 1,000 house subdivisions in places like Kane and McHenry county. I can't wait until Memorial Day, when I drive out to my parents house in Lake in the Hills, and crawl up Randall Rd. in miserable traffic. Pretty soon, they will decide that we need to expand our highway system to make it easier for these people to move from suburb to suburbs for various cookouts, garage sales, and happy hours at TGI Friday's.

·
SSLL
8,354 Posts
I'm surprised NY isn't in the top 5 either. Or Dallas or Houston, being bigger than Atlanta. Atlanta must be as bad as people say it is then!

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
mostly all of the people in cars are from the suburbs. I say:

1. a more wanting for a better tranist system
2. Highways have reach their capacity.
3. Lake Shore dr, out side of the downtown area is the greatest highway in Chicagoland, with the greatest views.
4, Move this thread to the Chicago forum.
5. I see new houses everywhere, west of Aurora, Elgin, Joliet. Meaning sprawl is continuing very crazily.
6. Chicago maybe have one of the worst air in the US.
7. At least this is something to be proud of thats LA's is first not Chicago.
8. I don't know why I even said 8 useless points.

·
The City
5,935 Posts
chicagogeorge said:
^
I agree, even though we have probably the second best rail system in America (New York's is far ahead), it still needs to be greatly expanded, especially in suburban areas where traffic congestion continues to grow worse day by day.
The DC Metro easily matches/exceeds Chicago's regional rail system, assuming the CTA and Metra continue to remain separate.

If CTA/Metra merge, however, Chicago clearly has the superior system

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
^I was going to say, Metro certain wins against CTA for now, but Metra would kick the crap out of MARC and the Virginia systems...

More traffic congestion in the suburbs is awesome! They'll get screwed out of highway dollars, meaning money for the city to build its circle line and other el expansions! In fact, traffic congestion in the city is pretty cool too! It means more political pressure to fund new subways and el lines.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
samsonyuen said:
I'm surprised NY isn't in the top 5 either. Or Dallas or Houston, being bigger than Atlanta. Atlanta must be as bad as people say it is then!
Houston and Dallas are marginally bigger than Atlanta (all 5-6 million), but Atlanta is fucking ridiculous because it's much more spread out than Houston or Dallas/Ft Worth (yes, the whole metroplex). If you look at an urban footprint of the three metros, Atlanta is probaly 40% bigger than either of the other two and is about the same size as Chicagoland in area! Also, Atlanta's freeways aren't bad compared to most metros its size or greater. It's Atlanta's arterial system that is an absolute mess as it is constantly being upgraded and has no regularity to it. That and no city builds the amount of cul-de-sac developments that Atlanta does. At least in Western and Texas metros, they try to keep a lot of it gridded with more than one entrance/exit into neighborhoods. Atlanta is all cul-de-sacs dude, and retail on all the arterials being upgraded... it's horrible traffic planning.

·
Banned
100 Posts
6. Chicago maybe have one of the worst air in the US.
Luckily, Chicago's cold winters and diverse climate make it's air less likely to become terrible opposed to a city in the sun belt. for example, LA's consistent hot weather and the fact she lies next to a mountain range means that LA is the perfect place for poor air to be created and maintained.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts