SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Potentially BIG news, directly north of the Wrigley building complex on Michigan Ave:

NAR takes steps to build ‘Rockefeller Center’-like headquarters in Chicago
Mixed-use, 2 million-square-foot project to be branded with Realtor logo

Andrea V. Brambila Associate Editor
Nov 11, 2013

SAN FRANCISCO — Chicago may have its own Realtor Plaza in the not-too-distant future, modeled on New York’s iconic landmark, Rockefeller Center.

'Cheers and applause followed a vote by the board of directors of the National Association of Realtors today in which the board approved a redevelopment project for the trade group’s Chicago headquarters at 430 North Michigan Ave. The project would involve demolishing the existing building, which is more than a half-century old, and combining it with an adjoining parcel to create a mixed-use development that would include retail, condominiums, a flagship hotel, and office space...

...NAR Treasurer Bill Armstrong noted that he and NAR CEO Dale Stinton had been in discussions with the partner for “a long time,” but had been prohibited from mentioning the project to members due to nondisclosure agreements. The partner, which has “billions to invest,” proposed a 93-story, 2 million-square-foot building that would be a “Rockefeller Center-type venue,” Armstrong said.'

- See more at: http://www.inman.com/2013/11/11/nar-takes-steps-to-build-rockefeller-center-like-headquarters-in-chicago/#sthash.DoN3rb7n.dpuf
:banana:

·
16,087 Posts
lot of potential here. A 93 story mixed use tower would certainly be a supertall, and it seems like it has a better chance of rising this decade than the towers planned for the Old Post office Redevelopment.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Well that's how these things happen isn't it? One of the signs that a construction boom is about to start is some big company moving its headquarters. Cities don't usually jump from stagnation to Post Office-esque projects. There's always something inbetween. This is that thing.

·
Roof height crusader
5,925 Posts
This is incredible news, 93 floors could mean that it will become the tallest in the city and therefore the tallest in the country in roof height (and that is what matters to me). I can't wait to see a height and design release :drool:

·
Banned
345 Posts
This is incredible news, 93 floors could mean that it will become the tallest in the city and therefore the tallest in the country in roof height (and that is what matters to me). I can't wait to see a height and design release :drool:
The Sears Tower is 108 floors and all office space. This will be 93 floors and a mix of office, hotel, and residential. Unless this development gets a massive spire, it wont become the tallest building in the city. That being said, with a significant office component this could still reach a respectable 1100-1200 feet which would rival the Trump Tower in terms of roof height.

·
Roof height crusader
5,925 Posts
^^ In my opinion it could very well beat Willis/Sears in roof height. Modern buildings, especially when they have residential space in them, use to have higher floor to ceiling heights. For example 432 Park has only 85 floors and is 426 meters, 225 West has only 88 floors and is 434 meters, the Hudson Yards North Tower has only 73 floors and is 408 meters and 1 Manhattan West has only 66 floors and is 371 meters :cheers:

·
Banned
345 Posts
Kanto, 432 Park and 225 West are hyper luxury buildings marketed towards billionaires. This building will no doubt have luxurious residences, but they most likely wont be aimed exclusively towards billionaires. They will likely have floor heights on the same level as Trump, which is 98 floors and 357 meters to the roof. In regards to 1 HY, that's an all office building and it really has closer to 80 floors rather than 73. The design for 1 Manhattan West is a placeholder and the actual product will likely be quite different.

·
Roof height crusader
5,925 Posts
^^ That might be, though we won't know whether it beats Willis or not until they announce the height. I hope they won't let us wait as long as they did with 225 West :cheers:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
We need some more US supertalls outside NYC. So this is good.

Don't know what's been happening in Chicago of late, seems like they've been on the cusp of something vast for a while. Hopefully this represents a more prolific future for them.

·
Banned
345 Posts
Theres 2 ~200m office towers set to rise and a handful of 150-200m residential towers under construction or proposed. Things are slow but theyre starting to pick up.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Extremely rough idea how the tower will look in the skyline. Trump Tower is 98 floors and has a bit more square space, so obviously this tower will a bit shorter.

·
Get Silly!
2,405 Posts
Good news! :banana: Its nice to see Chicago proposing a new supertall. I've been a bit disappointed with them ever since waterview and the spire were cancelled.

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
55,633 Posts
Good news! :banana: Its nice to see Chicago proposing a new supertall. I've been a bit disappointed with them ever since waterview and the spire were cancelled.
This makes Chicago's 5th supertall proposal, including three 300m+ towers at the Old Post Office redevelopment, 625 W. Monroe, and now 430 N. Michigan. ;)

1 - 20 of 74 Posts