Yet another vote!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last poll didn't get us all the way down to two, nor did it have one winner by a large enough margin to declare a winner. So here we go again:

Last Poll.

These choices are the top vote getter, and the three runner ups (all tied with two votes) from the polls from SSC/SSP. I tried to weed out obvious cross posts, but I can't make a promise one didn't squeek in.

·
What'u smokin' Willis?
2,097 Posts
Yeah, the word "for" needs to be dropped in there. Citizen Alliance for Planning sounds better. And more time than 24 hours for the poll would be good too. If this had been posted tomorrow I would have never got to vote. Nevermind that the primary had a really low turnout.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are probably right, but I was pretty sure that we wanted this done and in the past so that we can get the info post up, and then move on. If we get another poor turnout I'll just narrow it down again, sooner or later we'll get to one.

·
Jack-Of-All-Trades
1,391 Posts
Although I am kind of sick and tired of all the name-related bickering, I think that keeping the polls open for 24 hours is a low-down, dirty solution.

Hehe - after all, this IS Chicago. :wink2:

·
What'u smokin' Willis?
2,097 Posts
headcase said:
You are probably right, but I was pretty sure that we wanted this done and in the past so that we can get the info post up, and then move on. If we get another poor turnout I'll just narrow it down again, sooner or later we'll get to one.
Given the time for proper domain registering and buying bandwidth/server space, we can put this off for 2-3 weeks and still have it done in a month. If we're going along with the expedited meeting schedule of every other week, than that's still a week and change to have everything resolved.

Either/or so long as I'm not paying for each new domain, we can change the name as much as y'all want. Not my $9 per year.

While were on the topic of the website, I need a copy of everyones email as I seem to have lost or wasn't sent the most recent sheet. I wanted to nail down the next meeting and add a few items to the agenda specificly regarding the website, including the following:

1) Content of interim "Under construction" page.
2) Type of hosting (including whether or not to have email accounts for [senior] members).

·
Registered
502 Posts
Hello everyone:

I just thought I would pass along something that sort of surprised me. I sent the Email below to four smart acquaintances outside of SSC or SSP, each one of them in a different professional occupation and in their 30's or 40's. I suppose that I am giving away the fact that I am older than some of you!

To my surprise, four out of four stated very clearly that they preferred "Chicago Planning Coalition." To each of them, it wasn't even close.

By the way, I sent separate Emails to each person, and none of the subsequent responders saw the response from any of the others.

It seems to me now that Chicago Planning Coalition might be the better name.

SENT TO FOUR

(Name removed):
Which is the better name? I am part of a group of citizens that is forming a new city-wide group. We are voting for the name of our group.
I am torn between "Chicago Citizens for Better Planning" and the "Chicago Planning Coalition."
The group is a groups of citizens advocating for improved development and transportation. The group favors transit-oriented development, pedestrian-oriented development whenever feasible, preservation of worthy buildings, high-rises in the Central Area, more transit options, appropriate zoning, improved Planned Developments, and better architecture.
The names above achieve different purposes. It depends on which purpose you think is more important.
I am asking you because I respect your judgement. Once we get this name nailed down the group will set up its own website and start operations.
(Signature)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Sit tight, everyone. spyguy is right. We'll ask headcase to reopen the poll and keep it open longer.

Please check back later if you haven't voted yet. You will get to vote. The organization needs your vote in order to make the right decision.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry guys, I was under the assumption that we wanted this done ASAP so that we could get started on some things.

Thanks for reopening the poll Steely.

·
C.B.P.
1,188 Posts
I've learned to let go of CUAG and have voted for CCBP, although I would've preferred that B be a C.

·
Chicago's #1 Fan
2,334 Posts
I choose CPC even though coalition does sound a little exclusive. I would have voted for this one "Chicago Citizens for Better Planning" if it said Chicagoans for Better Planning.

I know some people don't like the word Chicagoans, but it just flows better.

that is all.

·
What'u smokin' Willis?
2,097 Posts
^Interestingly enough, I would have prefered dropping Chicago altogether and just go with Citizens, as Chicago limits us to Chicago issues, as opposed to speaking out on behalf of that awesome Evanstion hi-rise. Not that I'm suggesting spreading our thin resources out to exurbia, but reaching out to anywhere CTA rail goes is a good territory.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.