SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
55,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The tallest Wolf Point tower has seen a redesign that will take it into supertall status.

New Design For Wolf Point South, West Towers — Now With 53% More Awesome

July 12, 2015

Wolf Point West is making steady progress towards its final height along the edge of the Chicago River, rapidly obliterating the views of literally dozens of people on the other side of the river, sending property values plunging to near zero overnight, and forcing condo owners to eat Purina Cat Chow to make ends meet.

Meanwhile, up in Connecticut, starchitecture firm Pelli Clarke Pelli has been quietly revamping its plans for phases two and three of the Wolf Point project, coming up with a South Tower that is finally worthy of its prominent placement in downtown Chicago.

Some anonymous person dropped a rendering of the new building into our TIP LINE Saturday night, and the center (south) tower has gone from curved and reserved to rough and buff, puffing out its chest and telling the world, “Hey, look at me!”

By placing the new rendering in the Bat-Comparitor-o-Matic (results to the right, Boy Wonder), we can see that the new designs for the South and East towers are somewhat (south) and significantly (east) slimmer than before. Each appears to gain about two floors in height, though that could just be a rendering artifact or mechanical space. But the center tower, with its pointy pediment and needle is certainly taller than before.

[...]
Previous 950 ft. design:

http://arcchicago.blogspot.com/2013/01/hour-of-wolf-transformation-of-chicagos.html

Wolf Point Chicago thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1512123

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
55,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Soil testing is active on the WP south site recently.
That may be for the East tower but realistically both should go up at the same time. It's hard to imagine building a supertall office building between two opened residential towers without incurring lawsuits.

·
Banned
459 Posts
I'm sure it will be for both, WP south will be the next tower going up. They already had a lawsuit for WP west and was thrown out. I don't see any residential buildings facing the next two towers so will see if there will be any lawsuits. I have a phone interview today with a company close to this site and if I land a second interview I will take pics and post some details.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
The initial plan for the Wolf Point complex was for a residential tower at the west, an office tower at the east, and a mixed-use office residential tower at the south. A recent change of plan resulted in the east tower being changed from offices to residential. Because of this, I suspect that they'll also change the south tower to offices only.

·
Banned
7,692 Posts

·
Minneapolis==>Chicago
1,421 Posts
Here

66-Story Wolf Point Tower To Break Ground With New Look

By David Matthews | September 30, 2016 1:26pm | Updated October 3, 2016 6:01pm

RIVER NORTH — The second of three skyscrapers planned for Wolf Point will break ground early next year — and it's got a new look.

Wolf Point East, the second high-rise coming to the $1 billion mega-development at the confluence of the north and south branches the Chicago River near the Merchandise Mart, will rise 66 stories and include 707 luxury apartments when it opens in 2019, one of its developers announced Thursday.

The announcement follows the opening of Wolf Point West, a 46-story apartment tower that opened in January. Construction of the new tower is expected to begin in early 2017.

“We are extremely excited about the opportunity once again build in such a great city,” Mike Stotz, president of the AFL-CIO Investment Trust Corporation, one of the Wolf Point project's developers, said in a statement. "Wolf Point East will not only be another beautiful addition to Chicago’s skyline, but it shows what can be done when labor invests in itself.”

The $360 million Wolf Point Eas

http://chicago.curbed.com/2016/10/4/13158290/chicago-development-news-wolf-point-east-south-towers-renderings

·
16,440 Posts
Salesforce to add 1,000 jobs in new Chicago riverfront skyscraper

Salesforce on Friday will announce its plans to anchor an upcoming riverfront skyscraper and add at least 1,000 jobs to its Chicago workforce in the next five years.

The San Francisco-based software firm has leased about 500,000 square feet in the planned third and final tower in the Wolf Point development, said Elizabeth Pinkham, executive vice president of global real estate at Salesforce.

[...]

The building, dubbed Salesforce Tower Chicago, will become the company’s regional headquarters.

[...]

Developer Hines plans to begin construction of the 813-foot-tall tower around Jan. 1, 2020, with plans to complete the 1.2 million-square-foot building by early 2023, said Greg Van Schaack, a senior managing director at Hines.The city already has approved zoning for the project.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts